Decide whether the following functions are continuous at a=0

In summary: Maybe it is actually a function of a different variable than x?In summary, the given functions are not continuous at x=0 because the limit does not exist as x approaches 0 from the left and right sides. The function f(x)=x^2 is only defined for negative values of x, and f(x)=sinx is only defined for positive values of x, so the point x=0 is not included in the domain of either function.
Fairy111

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

f(x)=x^2 if x<0 and f(x)=sinx if x>=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand where the 'a' comes in the functions? Some help/hints as to how to start off this question would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Fairy111 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

f(x)=x^2 if x<0 and f(x)=sinx if x>=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand where the 'a' comes in the functions? Some help/hints as to how to start off this question would be much appreciated.
a is simply the point under consideration. More verbosely the question could ask "Let a=0. Decide whether the following functions are continuous at x=a ...". So, you simply need to examine the continuity of the f(x) at the origin.

ok, thankyou.

So I am looking at the left hand part of the parabola of x^2, which is when x<0.
It stops at x=0, I am not really sure what to say about the continuity.

Fairy111 said:
ok, thankyou.

So I am looking at the left hand part of the parabola of x^2, which is when x<0.
It stops at x=0, I am not really sure what to say about the continuity.

Do you know the formal definition of continuity? What conditions must be met?

HINT: Looking at the question, the first thing to consider would be whether a=0 belongs to the domain of f ...

Good point, Hootenanny, but I am wodering if the OP didn't just misstate the definition of f.

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous at a specific point?

A function is said to be continuous at a specific point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous at a=0?

To determine if a function is continuous at a=0, we need to evaluate the limit of the function at a=0 and check if it is equal to the value of the function at a=0. If the limit and the value are equal, then the function is continuous at a=0.

3. What are the three conditions for a function to be continuous at a=0?

The three conditions for a function to be continuous at a=0 are: (1) the function is defined at a=0, (2) the limit of the function at a=0 exists, and (3) the limit is equal to the value of the function at a=0.

4. Can a function be continuous at a=0 even if it is not defined at a=0?

No, a function cannot be continuous at a=0 if it is not defined at a=0. The function must be defined at the point of interest for it to be considered continuous at that point.

5. What is the significance of a function being continuous at a=0?

A function being continuous at a=0 indicates that there are no breaks or jumps in the graph of the function at that point. This means that the function is smooth and well-behaved at that point, and we can use it to make predictions and solve problems with confidence.