2nd order ode w/complex conjugate roots

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the homogeneous solution for the equation x''+x'+2x=0, with initial conditions x(0)=2 and x'(0)=0. The speaker uses the characteristic equation to reduce the roots to a complex form and then puts the homogeneous solution into the form of e^at*(B1cos(bt)+B2sin(bt)). They find values for B1 and B2 using the initial conditions and then attempt to put the solution into the form of Ae^atsin(bt+phi), but encounter a problem with finding the value of A. It is suggested that there may have been an arithmetic error made earlier in the process.
danbone87
x''+x'+2x=0 x(0)=2 x'(0)=0

I've taken the characteristic equation and reduced the roots to

1/2 +- Sqrt(7/4)i of the form

a +- bi (i = sqrt(-1)

Then i put the homogeneous solution into the form of e[tex]^{}at[/tex]*(B1cos(bt)+B2sin(bt))

for B1 i used the first i.c. and found that B1=2

for B2 i used the i.c. for x' and found B2 to be 1/(sqrt7/4)

now i need to get it into the form of Ae[tex]^{}at[/tex]sin(bt+phi)

where A = sqrt(B1^2+B2^2) and phi is acos(B1/A)

the problem is that A is not the hypotenuse of of a right triangle. I didn't know if i screwed up my b values along the way or if i should go to the law of cosines, but i saw no mention of such a problem so I figured i may have made an error beforehand. any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I don't understand what your problem is... :D

What do you mean by "A is not the hypotenuse of a right triangle"??, What right triangle?

I mean that in this case law of cosines would be required to find A

so i can't reduce the homogeneous solution by the method i was given (A = sqrt(B1^2+B2^2) , so I'm wondering if i made a mistake beforehand.

;]

I think you made a tiny arithmetic error, you have x'' + x' + 2x = 0, let's say the char. equation is a^2 + a + 2 = 0, quadratic formula gives us roots

[tex] \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt{-7}}{2} = -\frac{1}{2} \pm i\sqrt{\frac{7}{4}} [/tex]

1. What is a 2nd order ODE with complex conjugate roots?

A 2nd order ODE (ordinary differential equation) with complex conjugate roots refers to an equation that has two complex roots that are conjugates of each other. This means that the roots are in the form a + bi and a - bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How can I recognize a 2nd order ODE with complex conjugate roots?

A 2nd order ODE with complex conjugate roots can be recognized by its characteristic equation, which is in the form of a quadratic equation with complex coefficients. The presence of complex coefficients and the presence of both a + bi and a - bi roots indicate that the equation has complex conjugate roots.

3. How do I solve a 2nd order ODE with complex conjugate roots?

To solve a 2nd order ODE with complex conjugate roots, the general solution can be written as y(x) = e^(ax)(c1cos(bx) + c2sin(bx)), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex roots, and c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants determined by initial conditions.

4. Can a 2nd order ODE with complex conjugate roots have real solutions?

No, a 2nd order ODE with complex conjugate roots will always have complex solutions. This is because complex roots always come in pairs of complex conjugates. However, the real part of the solution can still provide useful information about the behavior of the system.

5. What are the applications of 2nd order ODEs with complex conjugate roots?

2nd order ODEs with complex conjugate roots are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model systems with oscillatory behavior. Examples include electrical circuits, mechanical vibrations, and quantum mechanics.