Proving Trigonometric Identites

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation tan x + 1/tan x - 1 = sec x + csc x/sec x - csc x, with the suggestion to work with the left side and express everything in terms of sines and cosines. The conversation also includes tips on using common denominators and simplifying expressions. One participant eventually solves the equation by converting the right hand side to the left hand side.
meeklobraca

Homework Statement

tan x + 1/tan x - 1 = sec x + csc x/sec x - csc x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried working with the right side and have gotten as far as sin x/cosxsinx - cos x/cosxsinx

Im not sure if I am just out to lunch, or on the right track. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression is ambiguous the way you have written it. (Use either brackets or LaTeX)

Do you mean [tex]\frac{\tan(x)+1}{\tan(x)-1}=\frac{\sec(x)+\csc(x)}{\sec(x)-\csc(x)}[/tex] ?

If so, try working with the LHS: Express everything in terms of sines and cosines and then divide both the numerator and denominator by [itex]\sin(x)[/itex]

im not getting it. should i turn the 1 into sines or cosines? Or even how do I know to do that?

No you should turn the tan into sin/cos and the find common denominators, cancel, etc. etc.

Oh I did that too.

I had sin/cos + cos/cos all divided by sin/cos - cos/cos

Well a/c + b/c = (a+b)/c and also (a/b)/(c/d) = (ad)/(bc) I heard maybe you should use that.

Well I heard that gives me sin x cos x + cos^2 x / sin x cos x - cos ^2 x

Umm why haven't you canceled the cos

Your right, now I have sin x + cos x / sin x - cos x ?

Now compare that to what you are trying to get to...

I got it. I went with the RHS side though, and converted it to the LHS. Thanks for your help!

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions and are true for all values of the variables involved. They are used to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions.

2. Why is proving trigonometric identities important?

Proving trigonometric identities is important because it allows us to verify the validity of mathematical equations involving trigonometric functions. It also helps in solving more complex trigonometric equations.

3. What is the process for proving trigonometric identities?

The process for proving trigonometric identities involves using algebraic manipulations and trigonometric identities to transform one side of the equation into the other side. This process is called "simplification" or "manipulation" of the equation.

4. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean Identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities are used to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions.

5. How can I check if my proof for a trigonometric identity is correct?

To check if your proof for a trigonometric identity is correct, you can substitute different values for the variables involved and see if both sides of the equation yield the same result. You can also use a graphing calculator to visualize the functions and check if they overlap.