How can you prove this using only the ring axioms?

In summary, using the ring axioms, it was proven that in a general ring (R, +,X), aX (x-z) = (aXx)- (aXz) where all a, x, z are elements of R. This was done by applying the group axiom 3, which states that there is an inverse for each element, and ring axiom 3, which connects the additive and multiplicative structures. By using these axioms, it was shown that aX(-z)=(-aXz) and therefore, the desired result was achieved. It was also noted that for the group operation x+y, the inverse of x is often written as -x.
dndod1

Homework Statement

Using only the ring axioms, prove that in a general ring (R, +,X)
aX (x-z) = (aXx)- (aXz) where all a,x,z are elements of R

Homework Equations

Group axiom 3: G3= There is an inverse for each element g^-1 *g =e

Ring axiom 3: R3= Two distributive laws connect the additive and multiplicatie structures.
For any x,y,z xX(y+z) = (xXy)+ (xXz)
and (x+y) X z= (xXz) + (yXz)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt. I thought that this would actually be straight forward; that I would just need to put -z as the addition of its inverse. I expected the rest to just fall into place.

Here's what I did:

aX (x-z) = (aXx)- (aXz)

Left hand side aX (x-z)
= aX(x + z^-1) from G3
= (aXx) + (aXz^-1) from R3
= (aXx)+ (aX -z) from G3
= (aXx)- (aXz), as required

I'm not sure whether I am allowed to just write the last line or whether I have left out some all important step!

Thank you very much in anticipation of your assistance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are asking why aX(-z)=(-aXz)? Well, aX(-z)+aXz=aX(-z+z) from your distributive axiom. What does that tell you?

Thank you Dick. I got there! Thank you for your extremely quick reply. I really appreciate your help. Many thanks.

For the record, when the group operation is x+y, the inverse of x is usually written as -x.

Thank you! I shall alter my notation. Much appreciated!

Hurkyl said:
For the record, when the group operation is x+y, the inverse of x is usually written as -x.

True, it is kind of confusing to be mixing the '*' notation for the group operation with the ring notation of '+' for the group operation, but dndod1 seemed to be dealing with it ok.

1. What are the basic axioms of a ring?

The basic axioms of a ring include closure under addition and multiplication, associativity of addition and multiplication, commutativity of addition, existence of an additive identity, existence of additive inverses, and distributivity of multiplication over addition.

2. How do you prove a statement using ring axioms?

To prove a statement using ring axioms, you must first identify which axioms are relevant to the statement. Then, you can use logical deductions and previously proven statements to arrive at the desired conclusion.

3. What is the difference between a commutative ring and a non-commutative ring?

In a commutative ring, the order of operands does not affect the result of addition or multiplication. In a non-commutative ring, the order of operands does affect the result of addition or multiplication.

4. Can you give an example of a statement that can be proven using ring axioms?

An example of a statement that can be proven using ring axioms is the distributive property: a(b + c) = ab + ac for all elements a, b, and c in a ring.

5. What are some common applications of ring theory in mathematics?

Ring theory has applications in various areas of mathematics such as abstract algebra, number theory, algebraic geometry, and coding theory. It is also used in the study of mathematical structures such as groups, fields, and vector spaces.