My answers seem ok but differ from book.

• Thread starter jiboom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: OK, so I've just been looking at your answer for question 1), and I think you're right, its wrong. I don't know what the book's doing, because I don't know how they've got their answer. But here's what I think is the correct way to do it:Forces:F=ma=800aPower:P=Fv=800avWork done in time t:W=Pt=800avtKinetic energy gained:KE=1/2mv^2=1/2 * 800 * v^2So equating work done to kinetic energy gained:800avt = 1/2 * 800 * v^2 (
jiboom
1) a car moves along a straight road against a resistance to motion which is 10 times the speed of the car. the car has a mss of 800kg and the engine is working at the constant rate 5kw. find an expression for the acceleration of the car.

my attempt:

P=driving force.v => 5000/v=driving force

f=ma=>800a=5000/v-10v =>a=50/8v -v/80

book answer is 5/v-v/80

2) a particle leaves a point A at time t=0 with speed u and moves towards a point B with retardation Lv,where v is the speed of the particle at time t. the particle is at a distance s from A at time t.

i have then shown:

v=u-Ls...(1)

ln(u-Ls)=ln u-Lt...(2)

at t=o a second particle starts from rest at B and move towards A eith accel 2+6t. the particles collide at the midpoint of AB when t=1. find the distance AB and the speeds of the particles on impact.

here i found AB=4 and speed of particle from B is 5 to the left.

for speed of A i have used (1) (2) with t=1 s=(AB/2)=2

(2) gives ln(u-2L)=lnu-L

L=ln(u/u-2L)

e^L=u/u-2L

u=-2L/(1-e^L)

then (1) gives

v=u-2L
=-2L[{1/(1-e^l)}+1]

=-2L/(1-e^L)[1+1-e^L]

=2L{e^L-2}/(1-e^L}

but book gives

-2L(1-e^L}

3)

a disc is set spinning and turns through T degrees in t seconds where

T=120t-6t^2,

calculate the rate in revolutions per minute,at which the disc is rotating when t=6

im saying (guesing)

T=(120t-6t^2)∏/180 gives me T in radians

DT/dt=ω=(120-12t))∏/180

when t=6,

ω=48∏/180 rads/6 secs

so revs per min =

2∏*10/(48∏/180)

=1800/24=75

but books says 8.

im sure I am going wrong on this one!

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't fully looked through your answers, but there's a couple of things to watch out for: Firstly, the equations are not dimensionally correct. Which means that some assumption must have been made about which system of units must be used. So if you are using a different system of units than the book, then this might cause you to get a different answer to them. Secondly, the phrases "resistance to motion" and "retardation" are not immediately obvious what they mean physically. So maybe you have taken them to mean something different to what the book means. Hope this advice has helped.

BruceW said:
I haven't fully looked through your answers, but there's a couple of things to watch out for: Firstly, the equations are not dimensionally correct. Which means that some assumption must have been made about which system of units must be used. So if you are using a different system of units than the book, then this might cause you to get a different answer to them. Secondly, the phrases "resistance to motion" and "retardation" are not immediately obvious what they mean physically. So maybe you have taken them to mean something different to what the book means. Hope this advice has helped.

which one (s) do you refer to here?

im very confident (1) is incorrect. the very next question is the same but has no numbers. it has mass m,constant rate homework and resistance to motion kv then asks to show acc = blah blah. this i can do and when i put the nunmbers from my question in i get my answer not the books

any takers to (2) and especially (3) ?

for (2) the book answer is what u ,the initial velocity,equals using equation (2) so can't believe that is velocity when they collide so I am pretty sure the book is wrong here too.

I've had a proper look through question 3), and it says that time must be in seconds, and you have done that, so there should be no problem there. I think you went wrong when you got to here:
jiboom said:
ω=48∏/180 rads/6 secs
Its almost right, but it should be 'per secs', not 'per 6 secs'. Since the angular speed is the instantaneous change, the 6 should not be there. So this makes the rest of the calculation incorrect. Also, in the next step, you multiply by 2pi to get the revolutions. But it should be the other way around, since angular speed = 2pi times frequency.

Last edited:
from
ω=48∏/180 rads/6 secs

i was being thick there i guess:

T was quoted as degrees per t seconds so i just put t=6 to get /6 secs.

for second part i did mean to do ω/2∏ doh!

so ignoring the 6 i would have

ω/2∏= (48∏/180) /2∏

=24/180 per second so need

60*24/180

= 8 :))

thaks for that,silly mistake with that one. would appreciate it if you could look over 1,2 to see if there is similar errors (saying that,as mentioned above (1) looks wrong from a following question. it seems they wanted power to be 4kw)

OK, looking at question 2), I'm not sure what the retardation means, and I'm not sure how you got those two equations, but assuming that they are correct:

I'd say the distance AB=4 is correct. And you're right that the speed of the second particle at the halfway point is 5 to the left.

I think you went wrong on this step:
jiboom said:
e^L=u/u-2L

u=-2L/(1-e^L)
I think maybe you didn't rearrange it right?

BruceW said:
OK, looking at question 2), I'm not sure what the retardation means, and I'm not sure how you got those two equations, but assuming that they are correct:

I'd say the distance AB=4 is correct. And you're right that the speed of the second particle at the halfway point is 5 to the left.

I think you went wrong on this step:

I think maybe you didn't rearrange it right?

e^L=u/u-2L

yeah, i should have

u=-2Le^l/(1-e^L)

v=u-2L
=-2L[{e^l/(1-e^l)}+1]

=-2L/(1-e^L)[e^l+1-e^L]

-2L/(1-e^L}

thanks. can't believe i did not see that! just a case of looking to hard and becoming blind

yeah, that's happened to me many times as well. It kind of reminds me how in chess, you're looking at the position with a certain preconception, and you can look at it for ages without seeing the obvious correct move. Which is why, in chess, you need to take a step back and look at the board differently, every so often.

So do you get the right answer using that? And you were saying that you got question 1) wrong because you got an earlier part wrong?

dont get me started about chess ha ha. i have a knack of only seeing why a move is bad after i have moved. every game i see what looks a good move,make it then almost instantly see the refutation!

any way,question 1) the book is wrong I am sure. i would appreciate it if you agreed with me though. as i say,the next question in the book was identical except it didnt have numerical values. when i take that answer and put the numbers in for 1) i get what i suggest not the book answer.

For question 1), I get the same answer as you. The question isn't completely clear, so I assumed that: 'resistance to motion' is a force, and that all the units were SI. As long as these two things are true, I think you got the right answer.

Yeah, I do that all the time in chess. I guess the first step to getting better is to realize what your bad habits are!

What could be causing my answers to differ from the book?

There could be a few reasons for this. It's possible that you made a calculation error or misread the question. It's also possible that the book contains errors or different assumptions than what you used. Another possibility is that the book provides a simplified or approximate answer, while your answer is more precise.

How can I check if my answers are correct?

One way to check is by double-checking your calculations and making sure you used the correct formulas and assumptions. You can also compare your answers to those of your peers or consult with a teacher or tutor for clarification. Additionally, you can try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same answer.

Is it important for my answers to match the book?

While it's always good to strive for accuracy, it's not always necessary for your answers to match the book exactly. As long as you understand the concepts and can explain your reasoning, your answer may still be considered correct. However, if you are consistently getting significantly different answers, it may be worth reviewing your approach to ensure you fully understand the material.

What should I do if my answers are consistently different from the book?

If you find that your answers are consistently different from the book, it may be helpful to talk to your teacher or a tutor for additional support. They can help you identify any errors or misunderstandings in your approach and provide guidance on how to improve your problem-solving skills.

Can I still do well in my studies if my answers consistently differ from the book?

Yes, you can still do well in your studies even if your answers differ from the book. What's most important is that you have a strong understanding of the concepts and can explain your reasoning. While getting the same answer as the book can be helpful for checking your work, it's not always necessary for success in your studies.