Unitary Operator: Exponential Form

In summary, Homework Equations showed that if you have a hermitian operator G and a unitary operator U, then U can be written as Exp[i K], where K is hermitian.
Juan Carlos

Homework Statement

I'm working on this problem:

Let [itex]\hat{U}[/itex] an unitary operator defined by:
[itex]\hat{U}=\frac{I+i\hat{G}}{I-i\hat{G}}[/itex] with [itex]\hat{G}[/itex] hermitian. Show that [itex]\hat{U}[/itex] can be written as: [itex]\hat{U}=Exp[i\hat{K}][/itex] where [itex]\hat{K}[/itex] is hermitian.

Homework Equations

[itex]\hat{U}=\frac{I+i\hat{G}}{I-i\hat{G}}[/itex] , [itex]\hat{U}=Exp[i\hat{K}][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution: I have to show who is [itex]\hat{K}=\hat{K}(\hat{G})[/itex] (as a function) so after several algebra manipulation,equating the two relevant equations I arrive to:

[itex]\hat{G}=tan(\frac{\hat{K}}{2})[/itex]

I would like to simply apply the inverse of tan, in that way:

[itex]\hat{K}=2 arctan(\hat{G})[/itex]. I do not know if it is arctan defined for an operator, if it is, I think that is via taylor Series.

Some help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Try taylor-expanding [itex] \hat U [/itex] w.r.t. [itex] \hat G [/itex]!

Likes 1 person
I've tried, but i think this is not the way because when you expand both sides there is no clear relation between G and K.

Don't forget those important words: Hermition and unitary. You probably need to use those.

You can get there in a couple ways. Expansion by a Taylor series is one way. Be careful that you don't depend things commuting if they don't.

I agree. And I used those properties. Thanks

You may be over-thinking this problem.

Simply equate Exp[i K] = (I +iG)/(I-iG) and solve by taking the log of both sides. (Note issues of phase in your equality after taking the log etc.)

Now you have a form of K in terms of G, which you must show is Hermitian. This is where a series expansion comes into play. Expand your K as a series expansion, and show that by daggering (taking the Hermitian conjugate of) each term in the expansion you leave the expansion unchanged, thus showing that K is Hermitian, and showing the solution.

What is a unitary operator in exponential form?

A unitary operator in exponential form is a mathematical representation of a transformation that preserves the inner product of a vector space. In other words, it is a transformation that maintains the length and angles between vectors.

How is a unitary operator in exponential form different from a unitary operator in matrix form?

A unitary operator in exponential form is written as e^(iA), where A is an anti-hermitian matrix. This is different from a unitary operator in matrix form, which is written as U and must satisfy the condition U^†U = I, where U^† is the conjugate transpose of U.

What is the significance of the exponential form in quantum mechanics?

The exponential form of a unitary operator plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics because it allows for the easy calculation of time evolution of a quantum state. This is known as the Schrödinger equation, which can be written in terms of the exponential of the Hamiltonian operator.

How do you calculate the inverse of a unitary operator in exponential form?

To calculate the inverse of a unitary operator in exponential form, you can simply take the conjugate transpose of the operator. In other words, if the original operator is e^(iA), then the inverse would be (e^(iA))^† = e^(-iA).

What is the relationship between unitary operators and Hermitian operators?

Unitary operators and Hermitian operators are closely related in quantum mechanics. A unitary operator is one that preserves the inner product of a vector space, while a Hermitian operator is one that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In fact, it can be shown that the exponential of a Hermitian operator is a unitary operator. This relationship is known as the Stone's theorem.