What happens as we approach infinity on the number line?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between numbers and sequences, particularly when examining numbers between integers. The concept of infinity is also brought up and debated, with the conclusion that infinity is not a unique number and cannot be represented by a sequence of numbers. The symbols for positive and negative infinity are simply useful symbols and have no specific numerical value.
jakrabb
Please forgive any ignorance on my part because this is a little new to me... I was just thinking that if we examine All of the numbers from .1 <= x < 1 that we see all possible sequences of numbers. when we change powers of 10 all we do is make that sequence of numbers more precise i.e. 12.3 is just the sequence .123 * 10^2. Now when we examine the number line and see 12.0 <= y < 13.0, we see all the same sequences of numbers that we see from .12 <= z < .13 . There are the same number of sequences of numbers for y as there are for z, but on the number line we see them span one full integer for y and one tenth of an integer for z. I am not sure if this is merely because we are operating in a base ten system but it seems like as we look towards larger numbers we get more precise as to the numbers between the integers i.e. 123456789.0 <= s < 123456790.0 only has the sequence of numbers that starts with 123456789 and there are fewer sequences of numbers for s than we have for 1 <= d < 2 . now the unique sequences between larger and larger numbers gets smaller and smaller. so what happens as we approach infinity? is it one unique number? could we not represent infinity as the sequence of numbers that is almost equal to 1 but less than 1? does infinity then start with a 9?

Any thoughts on the topic are much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I can see some logic to this argument but it's certainly not stated in any standard way. Positive infinity is one unique number that cannot be written as a string of digits (regardless of the base). If we compare infinity to any real number s by your method then s becomes zero and infinity is mapped to one or whatever you want, as defined by the method. If we compare infinity to itself then they are mapped to the same thing.

Positive infinity is not a unique number. At least not with any reasonable meaning for number, infinity is not a number: it is not a nautural, raitonal, real or complex number. The symbols for positive and negative infinity are useful symbols but don't mean any particular number, and indeed if one looks at the one point compactification of the real line (as a sub-space of the Riemann Sphere) they are the same point.

1. What is a unique number?

A unique number is a number that is only used once and cannot be repeated. It is also known as a distinct number.

2. How do you determine if a number is unique?

To determine if a number is unique, you must check if it has already been used or assigned to another value. If it has not, then it is considered unique.

3. Can infinity be considered a unique number?

No, infinity cannot be considered a unique number. It is a concept that represents something without an end or limit, rather than a specific numerical value.

4. Are there different types of infinity?

Yes, there are different types of infinity. The most commonly known types are countable and uncountable infinity. Countable infinity refers to infinite sets that can be counted, such as the set of whole numbers. Uncountable infinity refers to infinite sets that cannot be counted, such as the set of real numbers.

5. How is infinity used in mathematics and science?

In mathematics and science, infinity is used to represent concepts such as unboundedness, limitlessness, and endlessness. It is also used in various mathematical operations and equations, such as in calculus and set theory.