Would you date a girl with tatoos?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
In summary, you would not date a girl because she has a nice house on the inside but an ugly exterior.
Like with everything - it all depends on what, where and how much. Maori face tattoo will be too much, but something less blatant won't be a problem. It can be even sexy :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, this seems pretty unanimous. I however thing tats are hot (well most tats). Of course I have a darker look myself. (blond also happens to be my least favorite hair colour).

My wife has 3 tatoos, none of which are visible when she's fully clothed. I really like one of them, but the other two I'm not so fond of.

NeoDevin said:
My wife has 3 tatoos, none of which are visible when she's fully clothed. I really like one of them, but the other two I'm not so fond of.

Biff SkullCrusher 4ever
NY Giants (The Team) 4ever
NeoDevin 4ever

Which two don't you like?

:biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
Biff SkullCrusher 4ever
NeoDevin 4ever

I didn't know you knew my wife.

Biff Skullcrusher is Dave's real name.

Daniel Y. said:
I'll date girl because she's fun and intelligent, not because of (or absense of) her tattoo.

That is exactly the same as my opinion. But there is definitely a superstrong correlation between having tattoos and being unintelligent, so I would need sufficient evidence to the contrary before I dated someone with tattoos.

I don't think id even care if there were tats on their face either as long as they were well done and looked good.

ehrenfest said:
That is exactly the same as my opinion. But there is definitely a superstrong correlation between having tattoos and being unintelligent, so I would need sufficient evidence to the contrary before I dated someone with tattoos.

What? Have you got any peer reviewed articles to hand to back that up?

DaveC426913 said:
Biff SkullCrusher 4ever
NeoDevin 4ever

Well, I'd prefer:

Cincinnati Royals 4ever
Kansas City Kings 4ever
Omaha/Kansas City Kings 4ever
Sacramento Kings 4ever

I always felt sorry for that guy in the 1996 Cleveland Browns photo that had a Broncos tatoo clearly visible. Browns fans hate the Broncos.

If she was old enough to have a NY Giants or a Brooklyn Dodgers tatoo, I probably wouldn't be interested.

In other words, tatooing a sports team on your body is a really dumb idea (unless it's a tatoo of the only NBA team to be founded in California - that would be cool.)

Last edited:
BobG said:
Well, I'd prefer:
Cincinnati Royals 4ever
Kansas City Kings 4ever
Omaha/Kansas City Kings 4ever
Sacramento Kings 4ever

Uh. I think I'd be turned off enough if she were sleeping with one sports team. If she were sleeping with four sports teams, well... I guess they'd have to invent a new term for that.

Kurdt said:
What? Have you got any peer reviewed articles to hand to back that up?

No, that was just my personal observations. Of course, this depends on how you define intelligence. I kind of included academic achievement and academic motivation in my definition, not just built-in IQ or whatever. So what I meant was more like "sophistication".

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with tattoos. As long as she's not all covered in tattoos, a few small ones here and there I think can even be cute. I especially like those tattoos some girls get on the small of their back.

These would definitely be a turn-off though:

1. Neck tattoos— god. what were you thinking.
  2. Face tattoos— I doubt I even have to explain why this isn't a good idea... unless you're out to prove you's a thug.
  3. Back tattoos, or on the back of the shoulder— I don't know why, but it makes girls look manly to me.
  4. Piercings— I hate piercings; they are just disgusting. have you ever seen a piercing up close? ... :yuck: so gross. I was with this girl once who had a tongue-piercing. Such a turn-off. I don't want some slimy metal ball rattling in my mouth when I kiss somebody.

I really hope those 4 go out of style soon because they are all horrid ideas.

moe darklight said:
I don't want some slimy metal ball rattling in my mouth when I kiss somebody.

Errrrmmm... No, on the second thought, I will leave that uncommented. Let it be just metal on the tongue.

Last edited:
Borek said:
Errrrmmm... No, on the second thought, I will leave that uncommeneted. Let it be just metal on the tongue.

I definitely could've worded it better :rofl:

A really good friend of mine has a lip piercing. It's not really ugly or anything...

moe darklight said:
I definitely could've worded it better :rofl:

Feel free. English is my second language.

I have a niece in her mid-30's who looks at least a decade younger. She is petite, cute, smart, and funny, and she's raising 3 daughters to be mature, respectful, and responsible. She has a floral spray tattooed across the small of her back and it looks nice on her.

turbo-1 said:
I have a niece in her mid-30's who looks at least a decade younger. She is petite, cute, smart, and funny, and she's raising 3 daughters to be mature, respectful, and responsible. She has a floral spray tattooed across the small of her back and it looks nice on her.

Of course, that's a matter of personal opinion. :wink:

Cyrus said:
Of course, that's a matter of personal opinion. :wink:
If you saw this lady while she was delivering the mail, you'd be smitten and wonder how somebody so young got to be a permanent mail-carrier. If you spoke with her, you'd be charmed by her combination of ready humor and intelligence. If all that can be spoiled by a tattoo (once you finally saw it), I'd call that a sign of immaturity and insecurity. Maybe it's a cultural bias or some kind misguided generalization about women who get tattoos, but it is wrong.

I have a friend who has a tattoo and multiple ear-piercings and she is a veterinary assistant and one of the sweetest people you'd ever meet. Another sweet younger woman is an organic gardener with a floral tattoo on her ankle. These are responsible working women living in rural central Maine, and they are not cheap, promiscuous, or morally compromised. Maybe you're looking in the wrong places for women or are using your preconceptions to reject them without knowing them.

turbo-1 said:
If you saw this lady while she was delivering the mail, you'd be smitten and wonder how somebody so young got to be a permanent mail-carrier. If you spoke with her, you'd be charmed by her combination of ready humor and intelligence. If all that can be spoiled by a tattoo (once you finally saw it), I'd call that a sign of immaturity and insecurity. Maybe it's a cultural bias or some kind misguided generalization about women who get tattoos, but it is wrong.

I have a friend who has a tattoo and multiple ear-piercings and she is a veterinary assistant and one of the sweetest people you'd ever meet. Another sweet younger woman is an organic gardener with a floral tattoo on her ankle. These are responsible working women living in rural central Maine, and they are not cheap, promiscuous, or morally compromised. Maybe you're looking in the wrong places for women or are using your preconceptions to reject them without knowing them.

Im sure these are all very very nice ladies. But I am not dating them. There is not misguided about it. Its called preference. I can also find equally nice and smart women that don't have tattoos on them.

I'd prefer no tattoos, but as long as it is nothing too "ridiculous" then it'd probably be alright.

Cyrus said:
Im sure these are all very very nice ladies. But I am not dating them. There is not misguided about it. Its called preference. I can also find equally nice and smart women that don't have tattoos on them.
You recently called lower-back tattoos "tramp stamps" and that is an unfortunate characterization that demeans the women who have them, including my niece. A nice floral tattoo in a place that is normally covered during working hours, but can be seen when wearing more revealing clothing, bathing suits, etc, is not a sign that a women is a tramp. It is a sign that she has decided to get a body decoration, but in a place that is easily concealed under most circumstances.

ehrenfest said:

Really? I haven't seen it. I have seen a correlation between girls who have well thought out tattoos and intelligence though.

turbo-1 said:
You recently called lower-back tattoos "tramp stamps" and that is an unfortunate characterization that demeans the women who have them, including my niece. A nice floral tattoo in a place that is normally covered during working hours, but can be seen when wearing more revealing clothing, bathing suits, etc, is not a sign that a women is a tramp. It is a sign that she has decided to get a body decoration, but in a place that is easily concealed under most circumstances.

The thing is though, a large portion of women wear jeans and shirts so that a large portion of their back is revealed, so that the tattoo is always in plain view. I call them tramp stamps all the time, but I don't really mean anything by it. Everyone I know, including girls who have them, refer to them as tramp stamps. Although I do like the term ass antlers a bit more :biggrin:. I should add that my friends who have tramp stamps are not slutty and the tattoos are done in good taste.

EDIT: Haha I just remember when I saw a girl have a tramp stamp that said "BARBIE", in pink and purple. I call that a tramp stamp, I don't care who you are.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:

No not really, if I saw her tattoo I wouldn't think that cause its floral, and artsy. Now, for example, my Gifted teacher's tramp stamp is definitely that, it's not artsy and it looks tacky, aslo it was way way lower than the "small of the back".

turbo-1 said:

Well, of course not. I just hate them. Obviously there not really tramps. But that's what I think when I see one. OK, maybe not tramp. But I she def. goes down the scale in terms of being classy. Here's why. There is NOTHING that awesome, cool, or important that I can even begin to imagine that I have to get inked onto my skin. When I see people with tattoos, I say. What, is it really that cool to get a small lizzard on your foot? To have a good/bad angel wing on each side of your back? To get a design on your lower back?

That tells me a lot about a person. If they were from a village in africa and had a tribal tattoo, I'd say cool I understand. Its your culture.

When you have barbed wire around your bicept,...yeah...o-kayyyy...

Last edited:
Anyone found with those are also considered "tramps", at least, in my generation.

Tramp stamp isn't some localized term.

Cyrus said:
That tells me a lot about a person. If they were from a village in africa and had a tribal tattoo, I'd say cool I understand. Its your culture.

When you have barbed wire around your bicept,...yeah...o-kayyyy...
There aren't that many "t"s in bicep, Cy. I had a friend in college from Kenya who had tribal scarring on his forehead. It was ritual scarification, healed open with ash from a cow-dung fire. Bernie was a cool guy and I liked him a lot. His parents were officials in the government of Kenya, and some of his brothers had gotten back to the tribal ceremonies and some had not.

I have been riding Harleys for over 30 years, and have never felt the urge to get inked, but I never disrespect any of my friends who make that choice, nor their ladies. Getting inked is a personal decision. I have a close friend who is the best friend of the biggest inker in Pittsburgh, and his entire upper body is covered with with dragons, unicorns, Hindu demons, etc, etc. I love him without reserve, and I cannot possibly accept some gender-based standard that brands females with tattoos as inferior.

turbo-1 said:
There aren't that many "t"s in bicep, Cy. I had a friend in college from Kenya who had tribal scarring on his forehead. It was ritual scarification, healed open with ash from a cow-dung fire. Bernie was a cool guy and I liked him a lot. His parents were officials in the government of Kenya, and some of his brothers had gotten back to the tribal ceremonies and some had not.

I have been riding Harleys for over 30 years, and have never felt the urge to get inked, but I never disrespect any of my friends who make that choice, nor their ladies. Getting inked is a personal decision. I have a close friend who is the best friend of the biggest inker in Pittsburgh, and his entire upper body is covered with with dragons, unicorns, Hindu demons, etc, etc. I love him without reserve, and I cannot possibly accept some gender-based standard that brands females with tattoos as inferior.

I don't either. I know lots of very, very, very, nice people who have ink. I personally find it to be stupid though. Its like those goth kids with the ear spacers. Have you seen that lately? Its supposed to be like those african lip rings. You can fit a big magic marker through their ear lobes! These kids ARE dumb, and crying for attention. Look at me, I can stick three fingers through my ears! Ahhhh, so that's why its in one ear, out the other with you.

209934644.jpg

LADIES, HES SINGLE!

Last edited:
I dated a girl with serious (but not terribly extensive or always-visible) body art once. We actually got along really well, had a lot of fun, and it ended amicably (we were young and not terribly serious). She was an engineering student, I was a natural sciences student, so we also could bond over problem sets and crazy stuff going on in labs.

Of course, it didn't hurt that she otherwise looked like Rogue from the X-Men comics (not the movie). :wink:

Eww, Cy, that pic is kind of nasty, no offense to him, but EWWW, and no thanks! LOL

Cyrus said:
I also dislike blonde women.
Oops, did I accidentally ban Cyrus? o:)

The thing with tattoos is that a person getting one does so to send some sort of message, either in the theme of the tattoo or in just the process of getting one. Often the message is either immature rebellion or caving to peer pressure, at least that's how I see it. So, those ideas are inconsistent with my views in life, and that is a turn-off. As I said earlier, never say never. Some guy might convince me that his small tattoo has a really specific meaning, and then I might consider the message he's sending is more thoughtful than the people who get tattoos because they're the fad, and it wouldn't be so much of a turn-off. But, when someone has something like Chinese characters as tattoos and can't even remember what they mean, bleck, that tells me he's just stupid.

I confirmed with my daughter, they are indeed called "tramp stamps" and are looked down on by her peers.

Hey, if someone wants to get one, that's up to them, but they have to realize that although it may be acceptable in their social circle, there is a negative stigma attached to them in the majority of society, it seems.

Last edited:
I suppose I'd never know if these other hallmarks didn't go with them, but I frequently see that lower back tattoo on young women who also wear really low rise pants and tops that don't even come close to meeting the waistline of their pants. So I've been treated to a really good, frequent look at their tattoo, and generally their underwear as well, because that sticks up and/or shows every time they move or bend also.

It's a bit much, in my estimation. Now, when I was younger, I was prone to some pretty interesting fashion choices, but none of them included permanently marking my body.

I'm not a fan of tattoos on men or women.

Evo said:
I confirmed with my daughter, they are indeed called "tramp stamps" and are looked down on by her peers.

It seems to me that the issue with tattooing (whether you get it or not) has to do with conformity. And to fit in one way or another because of what other people will think of you.

<h2>1. What do you think about dating someone with tattoos?</h2><p>As a scientist, my personal opinions on dating someone with tattoos do not affect my answer. However, studies have shown that individuals with tattoos are often perceived as more rebellious and less conventional, which may be a factor to consider in a potential relationship.</p><h2>2. Are there any health risks associated with dating someone with tattoos?</h2><p>No, there are no health risks specifically associated with dating someone with tattoos. As long as proper hygiene and safety precautions are taken during the tattooing process, there should be no concerns.</p><h2>3. Do people with tattoos have a certain personality or character traits?</h2><p>There is no scientific evidence to suggest that people with tattoos have a specific personality or character traits. It is important to remember that tattoos are a form of self-expression and do not define a person's entire identity.</p><h2>4. Would dating someone with tattoos affect my own personal image or reputation?</h2><p>Again, this is a subjective question and may vary based on personal opinions and societal norms. However, it is important to remember that a person's worth is not solely based on their appearance or the presence of tattoos.</p><h2>5. Is it common for scientists to have tattoos?</h2><p>There is no data on the prevalence of tattoos among scientists. However, it is becoming more socially acceptable and common for professionals, including scientists, to have visible tattoos. Ultimately, a person's career should not be determined by their physical appearance.</p>

1. What do you think about dating someone with tattoos?

As a scientist, my personal opinions on dating someone with tattoos do not affect my answer. However, studies have shown that individuals with tattoos are often perceived as more rebellious and less conventional, which may be a factor to consider in a potential relationship.

2. Are there any health risks associated with dating someone with tattoos?

No, there are no health risks specifically associated with dating someone with tattoos. As long as proper hygiene and safety precautions are taken during the tattooing process, there should be no concerns.

3. Do people with tattoos have a certain personality or character traits?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that people with tattoos have a specific personality or character traits. It is important to remember that tattoos are a form of self-expression and do not define a person's entire identity.

4. Would dating someone with tattoos affect my own personal image or reputation?

Again, this is a subjective question and may vary based on personal opinions and societal norms. However, it is important to remember that a person's worth is not solely based on their appearance or the presence of tattoos.

5. Is it common for scientists to have tattoos?

There is no data on the prevalence of tattoos among scientists. However, it is becoming more socially acceptable and common for professionals, including scientists, to have visible tattoos. Ultimately, a person's career should not be determined by their physical appearance.