Help me learn the GR cartan formalism

• Thread starter zwoodrow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of understanding the Cartan formalism for computing Christoffel symbols and curvature. The participants recommend various sources such as graduate-level books, Sean Carroll's book, and Chandrasekhar's book on black holes. They also mention Nakahara's concise and clear discussion of the topic and the possibility of solving the Cartan structure equations explicitly.
zwoodrow
Im learning the cartan formalism of doing quick computations of the christoffel symbols and curvature however my book is a bit vague (McMahon). Does anyone have any lecture notes or webpages that do a good job?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty much all of the standard graduate-level books cover this at an acceptable level. Ones that spring to mind immediately include Wald, MTW, et al. I think even Sean Carroll's book discusses it as well.

Actually, now that I think of it, Chandrasekhar's book on black holes covers this in quite some detail, including the explicit Newman-Penrose formalism. It's very index-heavy though, so if you're inclined towards coordinate-freedom in your geometry, you might not like it very much.

MTW actually has a decent discussion of it, including a worked example.

Also, I think Nakahara's discussion is very concise and clear. He takes only a few pages to cover it, but he makes it absolutely clear how to carry out a calculation, and how to relate the connection form to the traditional Levi-Civita connection.

The Cartan structure equations can actually be solved explicitly without too much difficulty, giving you expressions for the connection and curvature in terms of frames, co-frames and their derivatives.

What is the GR Cartan formalism?

The GR Cartan formalism is a mathematical framework used to describe the theory of general relativity. It is based on the Cartan exterior calculus and is used to formulate and solve equations in the theory of gravity.

Why is the GR Cartan formalism important?

The GR Cartan formalism allows for a more elegant and concise representation of the equations in general relativity. It also provides a geometric interpretation of these equations, making it easier to visualize and understand the theory.

How is the GR Cartan formalism different from other approaches to general relativity?

The GR Cartan formalism is different from other approaches in that it uses the language of differential forms and exterior calculus to describe the theory of general relativity. This allows for a more intuitive and geometric understanding of the equations.

What are the main components of the GR Cartan formalism?

The main components of the GR Cartan formalism are the metric tensor, the affine connection, and the curvature tensor. These components are used to describe the geometry of spacetime and the effects of gravity.

How can I learn the GR Cartan formalism?

There are various resources available for learning the GR Cartan formalism, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. It is recommended to have a strong understanding of differential geometry and general relativity before diving into the formalism.