Langmuir waves dispersion relation

In summary, the speaker was examining a dispersion relation similar to that of warm electrons in a plasma, but with an extra imaginary term. They believe this term comes from the full derivation of the dispersion relation for warm electrons. They question the physical significance of a purely imaginary term, as imaginary numbers typically deal with phases. Mathematically, a single-valued wave can be split into two components with a 90 degree phase difference, with the more advanced phase called real and the less advanced called imaginary. Both are necessary to reconstruct the original wave.
ian2012
I was just looking at an expression (a dispersion relation, omega^2 = ...) similar to that of warm electron's in a plasma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_oscillation expect with an extra imaginary term, which I think comes out from the full derivation of the dispersion relation for warm electrons. I am guessing the relation that everybody knows of is then the Real part of the expression I was looking at.
My question is, can a purely imaginary term have some physical significance? Surely it isn't physical?

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically imaginary numbers deal with phases

Mathematically, you can split a single-valued wave of arbitrary phase for each frequency component it contains into 2 components where the difference in phase of each frequency is 90 degrees. The more phase advanced of the 2 is called real while the least advanced is called imaginary. Both are necessary to reconstruct the original wave.

1. What is the Langmuir waves dispersion relation?

The Langmuir waves dispersion relation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the frequency and wave number of Langmuir waves, which are electrostatic plasma waves.

2. How is the Langmuir waves dispersion relation derived?

The Langmuir waves dispersion relation is derived from the Vlasov equation, which is a fundamental equation in plasma physics that describes the evolution of the particle distribution function over time.

3. What parameters does the Langmuir waves dispersion relation depend on?

The Langmuir waves dispersion relation depends on the plasma density, temperature, and the strength of the electric field. It also takes into account the mass and charge of the plasma particles.

4. What is the significance of the Langmuir waves dispersion relation?

The Langmuir waves dispersion relation is significant because it provides important information about the behavior of Langmuir waves in a plasma, such as their propagation speed and stability. This knowledge is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of plasmas in various applications, such as fusion energy research and space weather forecasting.

5. How is the Langmuir waves dispersion relation used in practical applications?

The Langmuir waves dispersion relation is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in plasma diagnostics and controlling plasma instabilities. It is also used in designing and optimizing plasma-based devices, such as plasma thrusters and particle accelerators.