Master in engineering after BSc Physics?

In summary, a BS in math will not enable you to pursue a masters in mechanical engineering. You will need to take courses in the discipline of mechanical engineering in order to be accepted into a masters program.
Kaldanis
I was wondering if it is possible to study for a masters in an engineering field after completing a BSc in Physics? I'm trying to decide what to study in uni and I love physics, but the thought that it would be all theory and absolutely no hands worries me a little. I'd like to be able to apply the knowledge I gain and actually be part of designing and building things, but I'm not sure if a physics degree will allow me to pursue the designing/building part.

If this isn't possible then which branch of engineering would allow me to study and use the most physics? My main interests lay in astrophysics at the moment.

I appreciate any advice :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kaldanis said:
I was wondering if it is possible to study for a masters in an engineering field after completing a BSc in Physics? I'm trying to decide what to study in uni and I love physics, but the thought that it would be all theory and absolutely no hands worries me a little. I'd like to be able to apply the knowledge I gain and actually be part of designing and building things, but I'm not sure if a physics degree will allow me to pursue the designing/building part.

If this isn't possible then which branch of engineering would allow me to study and use the most physics? My main interests lay in astrophysics at the moment.

It depends on the school and the program. Most programs should allow it, but you might have to take some bridge courses to close the gaps from your Physics degree to that of the Engineering degree. Check with some schools and see their requirements.

CS

Kaldanis said:

You might look for a program that has a short course bringing BS Physics grads up to speed on the fundamentals on the particular engineering discipline. The University of Virginia used to have one in its engineering school - ran during the summer before the first Fall graduate courses began. For instance if the MS is in EE, you have some basic circuit design, but you'll have to gain some more specific knowledge in the discipline - say familiarity with the basic transistor parameter model and digital integrated circuits.

I got a Master's in nuclear engineering following a Bachelor's in physics. It isn't uncommon. Personally, I think physics is an excellent basis for almost any later studies, formal or self-guided, throughout the rest of your life.

Depending on where you study/practice engineering, you may have to come to terms with unit systems long forgotten in physics (gallons, pounds, factors of 32.2, etc.) - trust me, this is not insurmountable. Another thing seen in engineering is reliance on 'correlations' - which are empirically derived relationships that allow you to estimate values of parameters (like heat transfer coefficients or friction factors) that would be difficult/impossible to obtain from the kind of 'first principles' calculations that physicists like to make.

Just my two cents.

Does anybody know if it's possible to from a bachelor's of math degree to a masters in mechanical engineering? If not, what kind of courses should i take to bridge the gap and enable me to get accepted into a masters of mechanical engineering degree?

kramer733 said:
Does anybody know if it's possible to from a bachelor's of math degree to a masters in mechanical engineering? If not, what kind of courses should i take to bridge the gap and enable me to get accepted into a masters of mechanical engineering degree?

Depends on the program, but most all of them will require fundamental bridge courses for an MSME. So you'll need things like statics, strength of materials, dynamics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, etc...

Check with the program director and they will advise you on what is required.

CS

stewartcs said:
Depends on the program, but most all of them will require fundamental bridge courses for an MSME. So you'll need things like statics, strength of materials, dynamics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, etc...

Check with the program director and they will advise you on what is required.

CS

Actually one of my cousins wants to do that =) i'll tell him to check. Thankz.

it would be much harder with a bachelor degree in mah than in physics my advice is go for applied math

1. What is a Master's in Engineering degree?

A Master's in Engineering degree is a graduate-level program that focuses on advanced topics in engineering, including specialized coursework and research. It is typically pursued after completing a Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a Master's in Engineering after a BSc in Physics?

There are several benefits to pursuing a Master's in Engineering after a BSc in Physics. This combination of disciplines can provide a well-rounded understanding of both theoretical and practical concepts, making graduates highly sought after in various industries. Additionally, a Master's degree can lead to higher salary potential and opportunities for leadership roles in the field of engineering.

3. What types of engineering fields can I specialize in with a Master's in Engineering after a BSc in Physics?

There are many different engineering fields that you can specialize in with a Master's in Engineering after a BSc in Physics. Some popular options include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, and aerospace engineering. However, there are also opportunities to specialize in emerging fields such as biomedical engineering or renewable energy engineering.

4. Can I pursue a Master's in Engineering if my undergraduate degree is not in a related field?

While it may be more challenging, it is possible to pursue a Master's in Engineering even if your undergraduate degree is not in a related field. Some programs may offer prerequisite courses to help students catch up in the necessary foundational knowledge. However, it is important to research the specific program requirements and be prepared to work hard to catch up on any knowledge gaps.

5. What are the career prospects for someone with a Master's in Engineering after a BSc in Physics?

The career prospects for someone with a Master's in Engineering after a BSc in Physics are excellent. Graduates may find employment in a wide range of industries, including technology, manufacturing, construction, and research. They may also have opportunities for advancement into management or leadership roles within their chosen field of engineering.