Synesthesia, some people perceive individual symbols, characters, numbers

In summary: If you do, then you are in the top 25% based on my estimate and reading. I have a theory that EVERYONE has synesthesia, but most don't recognize it. For example, when you think about a door knob, do you feel anything in your hand?In summary, the conversation discusses synesthesia, a condition in which individuals perceive individual symbols, characters, numbers, and letters as having their own color. It can also involve a mixing of senses, such as seeing letters as colors. The conversation includes personal experiences with synesthesia, famous people who have claimed to experience it, and a recommendation for further reading on the subject. The possibility of synesthesia being more
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

Thought I'd pop in before lights out.
I wasn't able to print off the web as my printer is a BW toner one. the color printer is out of ink and I haven't the need as late to replace the cartridge.
anycase I did try something, I have a bunch of colored sharpies, so I went into the office and closed the doors turned out the lights and layout the pens according to the colors I could see them in, for speed and simplicity I picked out black, purple, red, yellow, blue, green & blue. tossed them into a bag and then with lights out pulled them out and arranged the pens.

I could tell yellow simply by the fact it had no color. blue and green were real close but I was still able to tell them apart. black was simple as it was still black. the odd two are red and purple, red looked purple and purple looked red. now the room was what you'd consider near pitch black. I also have a maglite and tried one other thing, holding the light against paper I'd turn it on and let it sit for a minute, it would leak a bit of light so I'd keep my eyes shut and turned away. after turning off the light and moving it from the paper there was a glowing spot of light that would fade over a couple seconds, not an image burn from me looking at it but from the paper itself, I tried it on many surfaces and it seems to only appear upon cotton fabrics, paper, painted wall, wood without a varnish finish. the color of the light is whitish purple, kinda of like a black light. I'm assuming everyone see's black light as annoyingly bright and blue/purple? makes furniture look funny as the stain becomes somewhat transparent and the grain more visible.

as to the heat thermal shadow, best I can describe it is if you get a fire going in the afternoon, bbq or otherwise look at the sunlight filtering through the heat, does it cast shadows? do you notice the light refraction on the ground? the shadows I see are like that always moving but don't seem to be affected by wind. and looking thru a window at them nearly makes them disappear.

hope that helps. oh and incidently I can also focus on the cells in my eye and see the structure nerves and shadows. odd I know but it's possible, I had to google it to make sure I wasn't really nuts.

madhatter106 said:
as to the heat thermal shadow, best I can describe it is if you get a fire going in the afternoon, bbq or otherwise look at the sunlight filtering through the heat, does it cast shadows? do you notice the light refraction on the ground? the shadows I see are like that always moving but don't seem to be affected by wind. and looking thru a window at them nearly makes them disappear.

You're not seeing "thermal shadows", you're seeing changes in air density. Different temperature airs have different refractive indexes, which changes the path of light. The "shadow" you see cast from this is simply due to the altered path of light (refraction) from the different air densities. Its something most people can see, even though its pretty subtle. No X-men abilities today :tongue2:

madhatter106 said:
hope that helps. oh and incidently I can also focus on the cells in my eye and see the structure nerves and shadows. odd I know but it's possible, I had to google it to make sure I wasn't really nuts.

Nor can you focus on cells in your eyes, at that distance you can't get the resolution to see a cell. Not to mention that the best resolving power of the best human eyes is still in the hundreds of microns, meaning you'd never be able to pick out an individual cell--Which are much smaller than our resolving power. The "cobwebs" (what I think you probably are calling nerves) and "cells" are debris in your vitreous humor, the gel-like liquid in your eye.

As you age, some of the vitreous humor is replaced with a higher water content gel, which allows debris to "float" around in it. When it floats across the eye in a way that it obstructs the light ray entering the eye, it casts a shadow on your retina.

You're not actually seeing anything, you're "seeing" the obstruction of light by the debris.

Similar to if a large object in low Earth orbit crossed in front of a star you were observing. You wouldn't see the object, rather the obstruction of the light source you were looking at.

This is something that happens to all people, most typically when they observe bright light sources, but if you ever notice a change in incidence/rate of occurrence, you should talk to your doc (family doc or eye doc) about it. As certain pathological conditions can change the frequency you get "floater".

bobze said:
You're not seeing "thermal shadows", you're seeing changes in air density. Different temperature airs have different refractive indexes, which changes the path of light. The "shadow" you see cast from this is simply due to the altered path of light (refraction) from the different air densities. Its something most people can see, even though its pretty subtle. No X-men abilities today :tongue2:
right except I'm using that as an analog so that you may get an idea of what I see, it's not as strong as the refraction of light in that example but it's there it's also not in 'colors' but more of a lack of color. It would be nice if it was somehow useful but it really isn't, more distracting than anything.

bobze said:
Nor can you focus on cells in your eyes, at that distance you can't get the resolution to see a cell. Not to mention that the best resolving power of the best human eyes is still in the hundreds of microns, meaning you'd never be able to pick out an individual cell--Which are much smaller than our resolving power. The "cobwebs" (what I think you probably are calling nerves) and "cells" are debris in your vitreous humor, the gel-like liquid in your eye.

As you age, some of the vitreous humor is replaced with a higher water content gel, which allows debris to "float" around in it. When it floats across the eye in a way that it obstructs the light ray entering the eye, it casts a shadow on your retina.

You're not actually seeing anything, you're "seeing" the obstruction of light by the debris.

Similar to if a large object in low Earth orbit crossed in front of a star you were observing. You wouldn't see the object, rather the obstruction of the light source you were looking at.

This is something that happens to all people, most typically when they observe bright light sources, but if you ever notice a change in incidence/rate of occurrence, you should talk to your doc (family doc or eye doc) about it. As certain pathological conditions can change the frequency you get "floater".

I'm aware of the 'debris' in ones eye, trouble is this isn't what I'm talking about. I actually can't find any in my vision. I've been to ophthalmologists and had my eyes checked when I thought I was 'seeing' something I shouldn't. my eyes checked out fine with no problems and was told I have no signs of damage.

I can see and focus within a depth of field in the eye that is fascinating. the structures I see are not singular to each eye but form a 'map' that spans both. like having 2 monitors sharing one large picture, where the edge of one is the edge of the other. when I relax and focus in on the structure it starts off closest to my field of vision and branches out, in the right eye it's off center a few degrees and forms a slight arc to the left, a near mirror image is what I see in the left. what's really odd is that I can also see from either eye a partial of the other so that it forms a singular image without gaps. if I close one or the other eye the peripheral field of the other eyes structure remains.

with a bit further relaxing I can focus further in and pull a depth of field upon the structure and notice it forms a 3D maze of tubes filled with spheres, the structure does not float about nor does change shape it's fixed. I can also see or sense the gel like structure of the eye, it is a bit disconcerting kind of like being underwater. It's an odd sensation to look this close as well, it's a feeling of being inside something but that something is you and not you. I think this is because there is this realization that you can without thought look upon the world and miss that your eyes are only one more input source for your mind and actually seeing that is very intimate to who you are.

here's some more info on this 'insight' pun intended. it's best done with the sky as a backdrop. initially I thought it was due to the blue color or light color. I don't think so, here's why. on a clear day or overcast day it's the same, so a specific color or frequency of blue isn't the reason. indoors I have a variety of colored walls and ceilings. everything from Persian yellow to Tiffany blue. not possible with any real clarity. I feel it has to do with a specific wavelength of light from the sun that is not indoors at the levels needed. some digging did bring up that radiation is viewable with the naked eye damaging of course but we are not blind to it, it's about getting the angle right, much like a polarized filter I'd imagine. so what frequency is needed (small or large enough) to make it into the eye structure without carrying it's own image.

The posts and links in these threads may be helpful-
Firstly-
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=406505&highlight=coloured+goggles

E.g. post #15

“See this article:
http://www.iscc.org/jubilee2006/abst...abAbstract.pdf [Broken]

Just found something incredible! Despite all conventional wisdom, humans can see UV light down to 300 nm! The lens of the eye blocks 300 - 400 nm, but after cataract surgery, people discover they can see UV light. It is not perceived as a new color, though . It appears whitish-blue or whitish-violet. Here are my sources:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ience.research [Broken]

http://neuronresearch.net/vision/fil...comparison.htm [Broken]

In light of that (no pun intended), I will probably test the near IR end of the spectrum in my experiment. “

And secondly-
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=423085&highlight=longest+wavelength

Post #3

Humans have a lot of alleles for the cone (color) pigments, some rare ones extend the visible spectrum slightly. This also results in a very few women having tetrachromatic color vision, and it is also the root cause of color blindness. Rod cell pigments do not absorb longer wavelengths - google for the Purkinje effect - so they probably do not extend vision in the direction you are interested in.

Note: there is an optical problem with extending the range of visible wavelengths - an image that is correctly focused on the fovea (cone cells) for 500nm light willl not be focused well at 1000nm, assuming humans could see 1000nm light which they cannot, AFAIK.

See this for the 'five site rule' on the origins and evolution of color vision in mammals
http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...tract/15/5/560

P.S. Hi rhody and thanks, wish I had more time to spend on this at the mo, soon maybe.

A couple more links. I see the links in the posts I transcribed didn't work, but work via the thread link.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T9N-4417F5N-D&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2002&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1468534480&_rerunOrigin=scholar.google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=32e26e2a3b50fc39066fc9bf754e60a0&searchtype=a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_sensing_in_snakes

Madhatter,

I think that Fuzzy, Bobze, and I or anyone else following this thread will not get to the "root" of your strange sight perceptions unless you provide us with one of those magic, "a picture is worth a thousand words images". Can you google/images or Google/video to find something remotely close to what you are trying to describe to us.

Second, when you were little, were you a premature, if so, did you get oxygen ? I was thinking about this: http://www.vahealth.org/vnsp/documents/2009/birthdefects/English%20-%20PDF%20-%20For%20Web/Retrolental%20Fibroplasia.pdf" [Broken]
I am drawing at straws here, the only inkling I have about everything you have said so far that relates to synesthesia is how you describe seeing blood red in letters when viewing text in a dark room, everything else seems to relate to your unusual sense of vision. Even if what you are experiencing is NOT related to synesthesia, you have tweaked enough interest here to assist you in uncovering an explanation, however odd it may be.

One last question, as a child for whatever reason, did you stare at the sun, solar or lunar eclipses for extended periods, again, I am grasping, trying to find a clue that will lead us to what you are experiencing. Finally, do you know of anyone else who has the same vision perception that you do ?

Rhody... :confused:

P.S. I am not forgetting what you said about emotion and music, that appears to be a valid synesthetic trait.

rhody said:
Madhatter,

I think that Fuzzy, Bobze, and I or anyone else following this thread will not get to the "root" of your strange sight perceptions unless you provide us with one of those magic, "a picture is worth a thousand words images". Can you google/images or Google/video to find something remotely close to what you are trying to describe to us.

Second, when you were little, were you a premature, if so, did you get oxygen ? I was thinking about this: http://www.vahealth.org/vnsp/documents/2009/birthdefects/English%20-%20PDF%20-%20For%20Web/Retrolental%20Fibroplasia.pdf" [Broken]
I am drawing at straws here, the only inkling I have about everything you have said so far that relates to synesthesia is how you describe seeing blood red in letters when viewing text in a dark room, everything else seems to relate to your unusual sense of vision. Even if what you are experiencing is NOT related to synesthesia, you have tweaked enough interest here to assist you in uncovering an explanation, however odd it may be.

One last question, as a child for whatever reason, did you stare at the sun, solar or lunar eclipses for extended periods, again, I am grasping, trying to find a clue that will lead us to what you are experiencing. Finally, do you know of anyone else who has the same vision perception that you do ?

Rhody... :confused:

P.S. I am not forgetting what you said about emotion and music, that appears to be a valid synesthetic trait.

I appreciate the interest and I do find this fascinating as I love to experiment.
No I didn't stare into the sun, used the shadow box for eclipses as a kid. For as long as I can recall I always noticed this, it's most pronounced at night. I do have a light sensitivity at night, not exactly night blindness as the ophthalmologist I went to a couple yrs ago said what I described isn't that. he also wasn't interested in my questions.

If I'm in a lit room and the lights go out, it's a near instant switch to seeing again. it's a strange sensation. driving at night is better for me if there is low ambient light vs the bright light. it's a bit too much as the contrast is brutal. I can not stand the new LED lights on auto's now. the lights are an annoying purple hue that pierces my skull. also red lights are brighter to me than blue although my electric razor charger has this blue led that is just as intense as the red led's.

I was doing some visual tests with the IR remotes here and I noticed that it's my left eye that see's the light not my right. I have an acer laptop that has an IR sensor that randomly blinks in the front panel and I can see a faint red light every time it blinks.

when I was a kid I thought I had some type of color blindness as there is what I thought was a difference in color hues between my eyes. however I pass all such tests with both eyes. my left eye see's an additional color of what I call a red/purple hue, like a filter mask in photoshop at 20%. I can easily separate colors and hues accurately, I took this test yrs ago that had 100 or more colors that needed to be arranged by hue in order and was able to do so without mistakes.

Here's a good example, whenever I've had to drive in heavy fog at night I prefer the lights off and the red-orange parking lights over yellow fogs for visibility.

In reading up on the tetrachromat I wouldn't be surprised if that was what I have. sure I'm a male but I do have an uncanny ability to distinguish color and tone. from hot to cold, colors have an underlying tone. my mother shares this with me as well, my dad thought we were messing with him when we'd discuss color tones and shades for fabric and paints, and even planting in the yard.

take for example the color blue, there is a clear marker between a red/blue or orange/blue even a blue/blue etc... it's bugs me to no end to see an orange/blue matched to purple/blue one is warm the other is cold, it's like shades of black and gray. seeing someone wear what they think is black but is a blue/black pair of pants with a brown/black jacket makes me cringe. I've come to realize that most everyone doesn't see this tone variation. to me it's as plain as day.

Now I'm going to also look further into this tetrachromat gene as my son who's 7 has a some medical conditions that point to genes. he's been preliminarily diagnosed with aspergers but also displays some other traits that don't fit. in my research it's tied to excess chromosomes. more research is being done.

here's a link I found that explains tetrachromatic vision too: http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2010/03/18/tetrachromacy-in-humans-you-may-have-super-color-vision

I'll add more as time allows...

any testing ideas?

oh and in the dark I can see red better than the green/blues i.e. differentiating between blue/green takes a bit longer where red is much stronger and stands out easily. yellows become near invisible.

I've been reading through this thread and definitely don't want to derail any conversation about MadHatter's experiences with vision, etc. But this forum has the most recent posts of any I've found about synesthesia and honestly, has the best scientific approach to mapping it out and understanding it.

I only realized a few months ago that not everyone sees colors for letters, numbers, days of the week and months of the year. I actually found out that there is a name for it completely by accident while taking a personality quiz online.

I've gone through the battery of tests at synesthete.org and scored better than even I thought I would. Here's a summary of what I've learned is synesthetic about how I perceive the world.

• Letters and Numbers -> Colors
  • Days of the Week, Months of the Year -> Colors
  • Pain -> Colors
  • People (Personalities, I suppose) -> Colors
  • Sound -> Physical Sensations
  • Musical Tones -> Colors

To further elaborate, harsh sounds feel like sand or grit peppering my skin from the direction of the sound. Some softer sounds are more like a very mild tingle, always from the direction of the sound. Another interesting thing that I'm not sure is synesthetic is that if I'm startled (for instance, if a car stops suddenly in front of mine in traffic), I physically feel a strong harsh tingle all over my face, arms, hands, chest, etc.

Pain evokes color in my mind's eye, usually warm bright tones.

I automatically attribute colors to people. I myself am a deep purple.

I have very few "cool" colors in my letters and numbers (meaning, blues, greens, purples). The ones I do have are very dark. Most of my letters and numbers, and all of my weekdays are reds, oranges, yellows, browns and white, which are none of my favorite colors. (If I could change them, I would have mostly greens, blues and purples!) My months are the only ones that have any soft colors, and they're only February (pale blue) and April (pink).

Music evokes colors in my head to the extent that different tones make me "think" in different colors. For instance, a song on the radio may make all my thoughts blue-ish grey.

I don't physically see any colors with my eyes. All of my colors are strictly internal.

I've done a very informal poll in my social circle and have found one synesthete on the same level as me, and one very mild one, but that's it so far. I have yet to ask my father and sister whether they do it too, but once I do, I'll report back.

I think it's great the way Rhody and some others are approaching this, as it's completely fascinating to me to experience it. It's completely involuntary and I can't change any of it willingly. 2 will always be yellow and S will always be deep, dark blue.

kchiki said:
I've been reading through this thread and definitely don't want to derail any conversation about MadHatter's experiences with vision, etc. But this forum has the most recent posts of any I've found about synesthesia and honestly, has the best scientific approach to mapping it out and understanding it.

I only realized a few months ago that not everyone sees colors for letters, numbers, days of the week and months of the year. I actually found out that there is a name for it completely by accident while taking a personality quiz online.

I've gone through the battery of tests at synesthete.org and scored better than even I thought I would. Here's a summary of what I've learned is synesthetic about how I perceive the world.

• Letters and Numbers -> Colors
  • Days of the Week, Months of the Year -> Colors
  • Pain -> Colors
  • People (Personalities, I suppose) -> Colors
  • Sound -> Physical Sensations
  • Musical Tones -> Colors

To further elaborate, harsh sounds feel like sand or grit peppering my skin from the direction of the sound. Some softer sounds are more like a very mild tingle, always from the direction of the sound. Another interesting thing that I'm not sure is synesthetic is that if I'm startled (for instance, if a car stops suddenly in front of mine in traffic), I physically feel a strong harsh tingle all over my face, arms, hands, chest, etc.

Pain evokes color in my mind's eye, usually warm bright tones.

I automatically attribute colors to people. I myself am a deep purple.

I have very few "cool" colors in my letters and numbers (meaning, blues, greens, purples). The ones I do have are very dark. Most of my letters and numbers, and all of my weekdays are reds, oranges, yellows, browns and white, which are none of my favorite colors. (If I could change them, I would have mostly greens, blues and purples!) My months are the only ones that have any soft colors, and they're only February (pale blue) and April (pink).

Music evokes colors in my head to the extent that different tones make me "think" in different colors. For instance, a song on the radio may make all my thoughts blue-ish grey.

I don't physically see any colors with my eyes. All of my colors are strictly internal.

I've done a very informal poll in my social circle and have found one synesthete on the same level as me, and one very mild one, but that's it so far. I have yet to ask my father and sister whether they do it too, but once I do, I'll report back.

I think it's great the way Rhody and some others are approaching this, as it's completely fascinating to me to experience it. It's completely involuntary and I can't change any of it willingly. 2 will always be yellow and S will always be deep, dark blue.

kchiki,

First, welcome to PF, as have so succinctly stated there is a wealth of knowledge and experience in this thread, that I discovered I have a mild form of color grapheme synesthesia (mild pinks and greens when viewing light letters and dark backgrounds), and if it were not for reading, posting, questioning, and exploring we would not have this wonderful body of knowledge and experience here. Waht even has fragmentary music -> color synesthesia, something no one has acknowledged or identified officially yet. It seems the possibilities for it's expression are endless, and not easily categorized, because the list of attributes simply keeps growing and growing.

There are many PF members, waht, zoobyshoe, fuzzyfelt, Rasalhague to mention a few of the important contributors to this thread, they should be given credit as well, but your complement is acknowledged and appreciated.

You seem comfortable with your own forms of it, repeated below:

Letters and Numbers -> Colors
Days of the Week, Months of the Year -> Colors
Pain -> Colors
People (Personalities, I suppose) -> Colors
Sound -> Physical Sensations
Musical Tones -> Colors

Could you elaborate a bit on more examples involving Sound -> Physical Sensations form of it ?

Rhody... :cool:

P.S. How did you discover Physics Forums ?

I'm not sure how else to explain it other than what I previously posted;

but I can offer a few more examples.

Gunshots (thankfully I'm not around gunfire very often), cars backfiring, very loud sudden noises feel a lot like being pelted with sand or very small hard objects. It's almost like being pricked in a million different places on the surface of my skin, at the same time, from one direction, and lasts for a comparable duration to the original sound itself.

I also get a very mild physical sensation from less dramatic noises, like a Coke can falling into the bin of a drink machine, for example.

Another example; I work in IT, and currently on my left is a running pc that makes a low constant fan noise. I don't notice it for the most part, but while I was typing out my original post and was trying to think of how to explain the sound -> physical sensation experience, I realized that I "feel" that low constant noise on my left side. It's very hard to describe. It's almost like having a very, very mild goosebumps sensation on that arm, shoulder, leg and that side of my neck, face and ribcage. It's not unpleasant and the only reason I really noticed it at all was because I was focusing on explaining the sensations in the first place. I don't feel it at all on my right.

I startle easily and when I get startled, I do get a very intense pin-prick/"pelted with sand or tiny pebbles" feeling from the general direction of whatever startled me. The intensity of the physical feeling is directly proportional to how badly I'm startled.

I actually found Physics Forums by searching synesthesia on Google. :smile:

This thread is incredibly long and I'm still reading through some of the later entries, but I didn't mean to not acknowledge any other contributors. You (Rhody) were the first poster that showed a very large interest in coordinating symptoms/characteristics and so that's why you stuck out in my mind.

Last edited:

kchiki,

Thanks for you input, after reading a summary of your sensations, and I interpret what you said to mean physical sensation due to sound when you said,

"I startle easily and when I get startled, I do get a very intense pin-prick/"pelted with sand or tiny pebbles" feeling from the general direction of whatever startled me. The intensity of the physical feeling is directly proportional to how badly I'm startled."

is it the same sensation "physically" as it would be if you were actually pelted with sand, or in your "minds eye" so to speak.

You also should review Fuzzyfelt's thread below:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=413657"

and listen and then watch some of the videos, and report what you feel, sense.
It would be an interesting experience for you, and I am sure we may discover some new things especially since you have multiple forms of synesthesia.

I guessed "google" was you discovery method, that must mean our thread is fairly highly ranked. I hope you stay awhile and browse other forums, their is a ton of good information to be had here. Be sure to use the advanced search feature and type in members ID's who post interesting stuff. Chances are you will find more interesting topics.

Rhody...

The all-knowing, all-seeing Google, heh. :wink:

It is a real physical sensation on my skin, akin to goosebumps, chills, etc. So colors are only in my mind's eye but sounds are a very real physical sensation. Strange, huh?

I just got ahold of my younger sister and she associates colors with weekdays and some letters and months. But apparently not to the extent that I do.

I'll definitely check out Fuzzyfelt's thread. You're right in that should be an interesting experience. As I said, I've only been exploring this for a few months, all while working full-time, parenting, etc. My son is almost 3. I'm very interested in whether he has any synesthetic traits or not. My husband does not and my Father doesn't either. My mother is deceased, so we may never know if she did or not.

Thanks for checking the musical chills thread, kchiki.

Also, just a thought, but I wonder if synaesthesia, or an awareness of synaesthesia might affect how children are taught the alphabet or months, etc., e.g. by allowing children to select colours to trace letters.

Last edited:

That's an interesting thought! I haven't asked my son yet what color "A" is but may ask him to see how long he considers an answer. If he comes up with a color, I'm definitely open to letting him use that color to draw it out and practice.

kchiki said:
The all-knowing, all-seeing Google, heh. :wink:

It is a real physical sensation on my skin, akin to goosebumps, chills, etc. So colors are only in my mind's eye but sounds are a very real physical sensation. Strange, huh?

I just got ahold of my younger sister and she associates colors with weekdays and some letters and months. But apparently not to the extent that I do.

I'll definitely check out Fuzzyfelt's thread. You're right in that should be an interesting experience. As I said, I've only been exploring this for a few months, all while working full-time, parenting, etc. My son is almost 3. I'm very interested in whether he has any synesthetic traits or not. My husband does not and my Father doesn't either. My mother is deceased, so we may never know if she did or not.

kchiki said:
That's an interesting thought! I haven't asked my son yet what color "A" is but may ask him to see how long he considers an answer. If he comes up with a color, I'm definitely open to letting him use that color to draw it out and practice.
Welcome to PF kchiki, your post is highly appreciated.

You could get involved with your son by writing a journal about colors he is exposed to throughout his early childhood. Take note of the color of walls in his room, the color of toys he plays with, the color of books, and major cartoon characters. Once he will attend grade school, note the color of the school, the hallways, and his classroom. Or take pictures if possible.

Why am I suggesting this? I've tried to understand my situation, how and when my letter to color mappings were made. When I think about it a little too hard I get this:

About seven letters in the alphabet are yellow of distinct shades. The grade school I went to was also yellow whose shade closely resembles letters 'a' and 'u'. The hallways in the school were darker yellow about the same shade as letter 'e' or 'q'. My grade school had a brown signet with a giant letter 'k' in it. My synesthesia color for 'k' is also brown. When I was little I used to call my dad 'tata' which is similar to 'papa'. But since my dad wore blue flannel shirts all the time, the synasthesia letter for 't' is also blue.

I don't know if this is just a fluke, it could very be, I'm just speculating. Or was this synesthesia in the making? I'll probably never know.

But that's why I've suggested to keep a journal. Maybe something interesting will show up.

Last edited:

waht said:
Why am I suggesting this? I've tried to understand my situation, how and when my letter to color mappings were made. When I think about it a little too hard I get this:

About seven letters in the alphabet are yellow of distinct shades. The grade school I went to was also yellow whose shade closely resembles letters 'a' and 'u'. The hallways in the school were darker yellow about the same shade as letter 'e' or 'q'. My grade school had a brown signet with a giant letter 'k' in it. My synesthesia color for 'k' is also brown. When I was little I used to call my dad 'tata' which is similar to 'papa'. But since my dad wore blue flannel shirts all the time, the synasthesia letter for 't' is also blue.

I don't know if this is just a fluke, it could very be, I'm just speculating. Or was this synesthesia in the making? I'll probably never know.

But that's why I've suggested to keep a journal. Maybe something interesting will show up.

waht,

Holy ... ! The level of detail and memory you provide associated with the colors and large letter K signet is absolutely brilliant ! When and how did this all "click" in your mind, or have you just been hiding this from us ?

I am often reminded how synesthesia is not carved in stone and that it is documented that people who meditate for a decade or more seem somewhere along the way to develop multiple forms of it in the process. I have not seen a shred of evidence of "rapidly emerging synesthesia" which may shed some light on the process, we need an experiment that allows for a rapid, testable, and repeatable experiment that does this. Maybe from someone who is thinking deeply about this. Waht, you are on a roll, how about giving it a shot ?

Maybe our plastic brains have ways of "imprinting" these wandering neurological pathways, better yet, since as Merzenich's describes in his research, that brain maps change every couple of weeks, this fact is now beyond a shadow of doubt based on competition for valuable neurological "real estate", that nagging question that keeps driving my curiosity, is that some deeper yet unidentified QM and electromagnetic principle is at work here. It drives me nuts, I feel like an ant on a log and unable to truly "step back" and get the big picture based on more fundamental principles. It makes me that much more determined than ever, and with a bit of OCD in my makeup, it helps, hehe. I will not quit, but keep exploring uncharted avenues and dark alleys looking for clues.

Rhody...

P.S.

Waht, did you get chills when you realized this ?

rhody said:
Holy ... ! The level of detail and memory you provide associated with the colors and large letter K signet is absolutely brilliant ! When and how did this all "click" in your mind, or have you just been hiding this from us ?

Thanks Rhody. I have a lot of vivid memories from childhood. But the idea certainly didn't click over night, but rather, it's a culmination of giving it lots of thought and introspection. A good place to start is to try and remember the time when I first experienced the letter colors. I'm pretty certain that it was first in that grade school I've described, around 2nd or 3rd grade.

I am often reminded how synesthesia is not carved in stone and that it is documented that people who meditate for a decade or more seem somewhere along the way to develop multiple forms of it in the process. I have not seen a shred of evidence of "rapidly emerging synesthesia" which may shed some light on the process, we need an experiment that allows for a rapid, testable, and repeatable experiment that does this. Maybe from someone who is thinking deeply about this. Waht, you are on a roll, how about giving it a shot ?

Me too. Ever since I found about synesthesia, it's been bugging me why those colors? And I haven't come across a theory about it. But one thing I know is that the alphabet was one of the first things I learned and memorized. This suggest that there is some mechanism that allowed colors to permanently hitch a ride on letters.

There is another thing I remember, but I didn't want to say before because it could be too compelling. In the grade school there was a giant chart in classroom with four flamboyant geometrical shapes: green rectangle, blue square, red triangle, and a yellow circle. Well, guess what I perceive the synasthesia colors for these shapes? A rectangle is green, square is blue, and a triangle is redish, but circle is different. A circle is a bright white, same as letter 'c' the first letter for "circle."

And so, I suspect the colors of these first three shapes came from that chart I have been exposed to.

But once again, this is a just an introspective analysis based on memories I have from the past. I acknowledge it's not a double blind experiment.

Maybe our plastic brains have ways of "imprinting" these wandering neurological pathways, better yet, since as Merzenich's describes in his research, that brain maps change every couple of weeks, this fact is now beyond a shadow of doubt based on competition for valuable neurological "real estate", that nagging question that keeps driving my curiosity, is that some deeper yet unidentified QM and electromagnetic principle is at work here.

Perhaps in form of chaos, fractals, and wave interference there is some resemblance. I haven't read Merzenich, so perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't think there is any direct relationship between the lower level description of reality, and the higher level vast network of interconnected neurons in the brain.

It drives me nuts, I feel like an ant on a log and unable to truly "step back" and get the big picture based on more fundamental principles. It makes me that much more determined than ever, and with a bit of OCD in my makeup, it helps, hehe. I will not quit, but keep exploring uncharted avenues and dark alleys looking for clues.

Me as well. One thing I've devoted my whole life to is to learn and find out more about the world. I think that's what makes it fun.

Waht, did you get chills when you realized this ?

Not as much as about synesthesia. That was fun to find to out.

waht

Last edited:

That's very interesting, waht! I have what I consider a large amount of yellow in my graphemes and weekdays as well. I have 5 letters of various shades of yellow, 3 numbers and 2 weekdays. None of them are exactly the same shade. I'm going to have to think back and try to remember if I have any early associations with any of my colors.

I asked my son this morning out of curiosity, "What color is 'A'?" He thought for a few seconds and said "Green."

I said, "A is green?" He said, "Yeah!...No, F!"

I said, "F is green?" and he said, "Yeah!" with a smile.

I said, "What color is 'O'?" Again, he thought and said, "Blue." I said, "O is blue?" andhe said, "Yeah."

I wrote them down to keep track but he's not quite 3 and I don't want him to feel like I'm quizzing him. I want to approach it as non-chalantly as possible.

His bedroom has 2 light blue walls and 2 light green walls, but we were in the livingroom at the time. The livingroom is full of earthy tones and reds.

Still too early to tell if he is synesthetic from so few questions but it's intriguing to think about.

Has anyone here mapped out their graphemes/colors? I mapped mine out in Photoshop before I did the battery on synesthete.org.

Oh, quick anecdote, heh. My friend who associates colors as much as I do sent me her weekdays to compare and we realized we share a common color for Saturday. She laughed and said "We should both wear that color on Saturday!" however, she lives in Australia and I live in Florida, U.S., so I had to ask "Your Saturday or mine??" Heh.

Thanks for the feedback, kchiki, and that your vivid childhood memories are really interesting, thanks, waht. Also thanks, rhody, for mentioning the musical chills thread, I forgot to say so sooner.

I wanted to make an observation, small that it may be, Kiichi, you are the third or fourth person since this thread started back in April of this year to add input to it, for which we all are grateful, the last few folks sent me private message and gave me permission to post their experiences with synesthesia.

I hope this trend continues, and second that you stay and become a regular here, there is interesting stuff always going on, and the best Mentors/homework helpers and staff are here as well. A great resource for a growing family too. Enough said.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Holy ... !

I was looking at a web page in deep blue, almost purple background here, with white lettering:

Guess what I saw: partial grapheme -> color synesthesia for letters:

lower case: n,d,h,p,u,f,t,g,n light green
lower case: l,i,o,e,1,8 light pink

Holy crap ! If I rapidly open, close and strobe my eyes, more than 3 times a second, the effect goes away and the letters are pure white !

Woo hoo... now I know what partial grapheme -> color associative synesthesia feels and looks like.
I swear to God, I am shaking as I type this. I can't freaking believe it. By sheer chance, in a search for a missing scientist of all things, thanks, Dr Li, I hope you are alright and they find you intact somewhere.

Rhody... :biggrin:

P.S. RasalHague, do some 3 to 5 second stobing with your eyes, both, left only, right only, and let me know what you see, just for comparison.
Now that I know my form of synesthesia only manifests with dark/blue/purple background, try my page as well with white lettering and let me know what you see.

Another Holy Crap moment, today while reading this thread, "why context sensitive advertising works", I discovered I have a second color grapheme combination that does not display its true colors, Inside the light and darker yellow/green text in the two boxes, the circle in every letter, b,d,g,o,0, P, 9, appears as off white, brighter in the darker inner box than the outer one. The size of the circle inside the letter or number seems to be the trigger. The letters, e, a, and C don't show off white because they are too small or not closed and are not circles. I thought I only had one frequency band of partial color grapheme synesthesia. I was wrong. I have at least two, very weird. I showed the other thread screen to another person in the office, he assured me that all the letters i mentioned are yellow/green. I find this odd and a bit surprising. I guess I shouldn't be by now. Those two backgrounds and choice of fonts are new to me. I guess because the background colors are not pleasing to the eye that they are not used that often.

The though occurs to me, will ovals or slightly misshapened circles do the same thing, even including large letters, or is their some limit to this ? I will have to try to reproduce the RBG color scheme in a document and play with larger and different font sets.

Rhody...

Last edited:

Wait. So how did you know that I perceive numbers as associated with different levels of light? :)

rhody said:
Another Holy Crap moment, today while reading this thread, "why context sensitive advertising works", I discovered I have a second color grapheme combination that does not display its true colors, Inside the light and darker yellow/green text in the two boxes, the circle in every letter, b,d,g,o,0, P, 9, appears as off white, brighter in the darker inner box than the outer one. The size of the circle inside the letter or number seems to be the trigger. The letters, e, a, and C don't show off white because they are too small or not closed and are not circles. I thought I only had one frequency band of partial color grapheme synesthesia. I was wrong. I have at least two, very weird. I showed the other thread screen to another person in the office, he assured me that all the letters i mentioned are yellow/green. I find this odd and a bit surprising. I guess I shouldn't be by now. Those two backgrounds and choice of fonts are new to me. I guess because the background colors are not pleasing to the eye that they are not used that often.

The though occurs to me, will ovals or slightly misshapened circles do the same thing, even including large letters, or is their some limit to this ? I will have to try to reproduce the RBG color scheme in a document and play with larger and different font sets.

Rhody...

Rhody...
Both Evo Child and I see the same thing Rhody, I'll bet most everyone does. it may be your co-worker that has a problem. :wink:

Evo said:
Both Evo Child and I see the same thing Rhody, I'll bet most everyone does. it may be your co-worker that has a problem. :wink:
Wait, you both see the little off white circles like I do ? Anyone else in the same boat, chime in here.

Rhody... amazed...

rhody said:
Wait, you both see the little off white circles like I do ? Anyone else in the same boat, chime in here.

Rhody... amazed...
Micromass does too.

Last edited:

I see them... does anybody NOT see them?

Rhody:

Go to the page in question.
Hit PrtScr.
Open Paint.
Press Ctrl and V to paste the picture in paint.
Zoom in on the white spots and notice the difference.

<h2>1. What is synesthesia?</h2><p>Synesthesia is a neurological condition in which a person's senses are involuntarily mixed or blended together. This means that a person may perceive one sense (such as hearing) through another sense (such as seeing).</p><h2>2. What are the different types of synesthesia?</h2><p>There are many different types of synesthesia, but the most common types involve the blending of colors with letters, numbers, or music. Other types may involve the association of tastes with specific words or textures with certain sounds.</p><h2>3. Is synesthesia a disorder?</h2><p>No, synesthesia is not considered a disorder. It is a unique and relatively rare trait that is not harmful to the individual experiencing it. In fact, many people with synesthesia see it as a gift that enhances their perception of the world.</p><h2>4. How is synesthesia diagnosed?</h2><p>Synesthesia is typically diagnosed through self-reporting and observation. There is no specific test for synesthesia, but a person may be asked to describe their experiences and undergo sensory tests to confirm the presence of synesthetic associations.</p><h2>5. Can synesthesia be treated or cured?</h2><p>There is currently no known cure for synesthesia, and it is not typically treated unless it causes significant distress or impairment in daily life. Some individuals may learn to manage their synesthesia through therapy or coping techniques, but for many, it is simply a part of their perception and cannot be changed.</p>

1. What is synesthesia?

Synesthesia is a neurological condition in which a person's senses are involuntarily mixed or blended together. This means that a person may perceive one sense (such as hearing) through another sense (such as seeing).

2. What are the different types of synesthesia?

There are many different types of synesthesia, but the most common types involve the blending of colors with letters, numbers, or music. Other types may involve the association of tastes with specific words or textures with certain sounds.

3. Is synesthesia a disorder?

No, synesthesia is not considered a disorder. It is a unique and relatively rare trait that is not harmful to the individual experiencing it. In fact, many people with synesthesia see it as a gift that enhances their perception of the world.

4. How is synesthesia diagnosed?

Synesthesia is typically diagnosed through self-reporting and observation. There is no specific test for synesthesia, but a person may be asked to describe their experiences and undergo sensory tests to confirm the presence of synesthetic associations.

5. Can synesthesia be treated or cured?

There is currently no known cure for synesthesia, and it is not typically treated unless it causes significant distress or impairment in daily life. Some individuals may learn to manage their synesthesia through therapy or coping techniques, but for many, it is simply a part of their perception and cannot be changed.