Invisibility Cloak - Read about Latest Developments

• Thread starter Zryn
  • Start date
In summary: The Future.In summary, the conversation discusses various articles and opinions on the development of an invisibility cloak made from metamaterials. Some believe it is possible, while others argue the practicality and limitations of such a technology. There is also mention of adaptive camouflage as a more realistic alternative.
Zryn
Gold Member
Interesting!

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v2/n2/full/ncomms1176.html"

Another cloaking article I read recently (December 2010). That's a bit of a leap in technology for only 2 months.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/11/invisibility-cloak-made-f_n_679170.html"[/URL]

Other articles on this device:

[URL]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1352769/Scientists-create-invisibility-cloak-hides-objects.html?ito=feeds-newsxml"[/URL]

[URL]http://www.channel4.com/news/invisibility-cloak-is-trick-of-physics-not-magic"[/URL]

[PLAIN]http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/amazing-scientific-breakthrough-paper-clip-made-invisible-20110203-1af2g.html"[/URL]

Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Metamaterials are amazing, and being invisible to one wavelength is pretty impressive. To make a material at a small enough scale, and complex enough to block the visual spectrum, seems unlikely; I'd invest in ninja training first. ;)

It's real a Tokyo university found a way to make invisible shirts by bending light, however as a note these things are only invisible from a certain angle.

Here's what I don't get though. Suppose that such a cloak did exist.

Now suppose light were to enter at a spot near your right shoulder and exit out your left. For one, it would have to exit at the EXACT same direction that it entered. Any bending of the fabric would destroy the illusion since the light that was intended to be emitted to the left would go in some random direction. Furthermore, the light somehow has to "know" to traverse a certain distance along the cloak before being emitted off the other side. If you spread your arms out, the light now has to travel a longer distance from the right to the left side, because if it exists at the same spot it did before it wouldn't come out at the correct spot. I don't really see how this is possible for fabrics and flexible materials.

Adaptive camouflage seems a lot more realistic as far as personal cloaking goes.

sciencectn said:

Now suppose light were to enter at a spot near your right shoulder and exit out your left. For one, it would have to exit at the EXACT same direction that it entered. Any bending of the fabric would destroy the illusion since the light that was intended to be emitted to the left would go in some random direction. Furthermore, the light somehow has to "know" to traverse a certain distance along the cloak before being emitted off the other side. If you spread your arms out, the light now has to travel a longer distance from the right to the left side, because if it exists at the same spot it did before it wouldn't come out at the correct spot. I don't really see how this is possible for fabrics and flexible materials.

Adaptive camouflage seems a lot more realistic as far as personal cloaking goes.

The British Defense Agency found a much more pragmatic way to make a tank look invisible like I said the fabric that Tokyo university made is only visible from a certain angle, I'm not a scientist so I guess what you said makes sense for why this is true. Also, keep in mind that we can't achieve total Invisibility yet and we're really just achieving the illusion of it right now but the research is just now finally making breakthroughs. All in good time.

sciencectn said:

Really? Fiber-optics seem to manage.

An older episode of FutureWeapons showed off a cheap version of an 'invisibility cloak' where soldiers whore a thin, LCD film on their clothing with a camera on their back. It worked quite well to be honest.

Futurama said:
An older episode of FutureWeapons showed off a cheap version of an 'invisibility cloak' where soldiers whore a thin, LCD film on their clothing with a camera on their back. It worked quite well to be honest.

Yeah, that was developed for tanks originally I believe; it's the "adaptive camouflage" mentioned by someone earlier.

nismaratwork said:
Yeah, that was developed for tanks originally I believe; it's the "adaptive camouflage" mentioned by someone earlier.

I do not recall watching anything about a tank. However, the episode I saw about the cloak on a soldier was pretty lame to say the least. It was more of a demonstration to a theory than anything. But with better technology of screens that can wrap around objects, this can totally happen.

Futurama said:
I do not recall watching anything about a tank. However, the episode I saw about the cloak on a soldier was pretty lame to say the least. It was more of a demonstration to a theory than anything. But with better technology of screens that can wrap around objects, this can totally happen.

Yep, and OLEDs will help, but I didn't see this show, I'm just speaking from prior knowledge of what you're talking about.

edit: Great name btw!

nismaratwork said:
Yep, and OLEDs will help, but I didn't see this show, I'm just speaking from prior knowledge of what you're talking about.

edit: Great name btw!

Thanks! I'm surprised it wasn't taken!

Futurama said:
Thanks! I'm surprised it wasn't taken!

Right? Still, good for you, and Welcome to PF.

"[URL fields[/URL] are the future of invisibility!

Pythagorean said:
"[URL fields[/URL] are the future of invisibility!

You joke...

I laughed...

BUT...

What if you had a greater understanding of the Nucleus Accumbens, and could influence or disrupt it? That could be a terrible weapon, or defense.

1. How does an invisibility cloak work?

An invisibility cloak works by using advanced technology and materials to manipulate light waves. The cloak is made up of tiny structures that can bend and manipulate light around an object, making it appear invisible to the human eye.

2. Can anyone use an invisibility cloak?

At the moment, invisibility cloaks are still in the development stage and are not available for public use. They are currently being used for military and scientific purposes.

3. What are the latest developments in invisibility cloak technology?

Scientists are constantly working on improving invisibility cloak technology. Some of the latest developments include the use of metamaterials, which are synthetic materials with unique properties that can manipulate light in new ways, and the use of adaptive camouflage that can change in response to different environments.

4. Are there any limitations to invisibility cloaks?

While invisibility cloaks are an exciting technology, they do have limitations. They currently only work in specific wavelengths of light, such as microwaves or infrared, and they are not yet able to completely hide larger objects. Additionally, they are still in the early stages of development and may not be practical for everyday use for a while.

5. Will invisibility cloaks ever become a reality?

It is difficult to predict the future, but with the rapid advancements in technology and materials, it is possible that invisibility cloaks could become a reality in the future. However, it may still be a long way off before they are available for public use.

Back