Discrete quotient group from closed subgroup

In summary, the theorem states that if the normal subgroup H of a discrete group G/H is open, then G/H is a discrete group. This is shown by the fact that the topology on G/H is discrete.
etnad179
Hi All,

I've come across a theorem that I'm trying to prove, which states that:

The quotient group G/H is a discrete group iff the normal subgroup H is open. In fact I'm only really interested in the direction H open implies G/H discrete..

To a lesser extent I'm also interested in the H being closed iff G/H Haussdorf.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
for every g holds that gH is an open set. From the definition of the quotient topology, we get that {gH} is an open set. Thus the singletons of G/H are open, this means that the topology on G/H is discrete.

micromass said:
for every g holds that gH is an open set. From the definition of the quotient topology, we get that {gH} is an open set. Thus the singletons of G/H are open, this means that the topology on G/H is discrete.

Hi thanks for your quick reply. I'm still a little confused - the singletons of G/H are open is fine - but why does that imply the topology on G/H is discrete?

Because every set is the union of singletons. And the union of open sets is open...

micromass said:
Because every set is the union of singletons. And the union of open sets is open...

Sorry, I'm quite new to this - I might just be missing a definition... but why is the topological group discrete if the set is open?

OK, how did you define discrete?

I took the definition of discrete group to be one that is totally disconnected...

I would have thought that if the set of singletons was open, one could always go to another group element by following some connected path? If the singletons were closed, I would have guessed that then you would have a discrete group... I'm obviously thinking about this completely incorrectly though.

etnad179 said:
I took the definition of discrete group to be one that is totally disconnected...

I would have thought that if the set of singletons was open, one could always go to another group element by following some connected path? If the singletons were closed, I would have guessed that then you would have a discrete group... I'm obviously thinking about this completely incorrectly though.

Ah, that is probably where the confusion is. A topological space is called discrete if all sets are open. Of course, a discrete space is a totally disconnected space, but not conversely.

So, to show that a G/H is a discrete space, it suffices to show that all sets are open. This is what I just did.

Hmmm - that makes some sense.

So my definition of a discrete group (being one that is totally disconnect) is incomplete?

Also, would you know how this idea of open sets links with what physicists call discrete groups? i.e. groups with discrete elements?

Thanks so much!

I can't comment on what physicists mean with discrete, since I know virtually nothing about physics :frown:

But all I know that a topological space is called discrete if all sets are open. So I guess that it would be natural to call a topological group discrete if all sets are open...
So yes, I fear that you're working with the wrong definitions here.

Oh well, thanks for the help! Really appreciate it!

1. What is a discrete quotient group?

A discrete quotient group is a mathematical concept that arises in group theory. It is a group that is obtained by dividing a larger group by a subgroup, where the subgroup is a closed set.

2. How is a discrete quotient group related to a closed subgroup?

A discrete quotient group is created by dividing a larger group by a closed subgroup. This means that the elements of the discrete quotient group are the cosets of the subgroup in the larger group.

3. What is the significance of studying discrete quotient groups?

Discrete quotient groups have many applications in mathematics, particularly in group theory and topology. They can help us understand the structure and properties of a larger group by studying its subgroups and their cosets.

4. Can a discrete quotient group be infinite?

Yes, a discrete quotient group can be infinite. This can occur when the larger group and the subgroup both have infinite elements, and the number of cosets is also infinite.

5. How are discrete quotient groups different from other types of quotient groups?

Discrete quotient groups are a specific type of quotient group that is obtained by dividing a larger group by a closed subgroup. This is different from other types of quotient groups, such as factor groups, which are obtained by dividing a group by a normal subgroup.