Counter rotation theory problem

In summary, a meter stick is placed on two counter-rotating wheels with friction between the stick and wheels. The stick begins off-center to the right. The resulting motion of the stick is either it will not move due to the opposite velocities of the wheels or it will oscillate back and forth, depending on the speed of the wheels. An experiment can be done to prove this, but if the wheels are rotated slowly, the stick will remain balanced between the wheels.
Smartguy94

Homework Statement

A meter stick rests on two counter-rotating wheels. The left wheel rotates clockwise while the right wheel rotates counter-clockwise. There is friction between the meterstick and each wheel. The meter stick begins off-center to the right. What is the resulting motion of the meter stick?

The Attempt at a Solution

Wouldn't the meter stick simply just not move because the two wheel velocity cancel one another? but I got it wrong.

would it be The stick will be sent off the wheels to the right?
because the stick was off-center to the right at first?

or would it be The stick will oscillate back and forth?
or Nothing can be said about the stick's motion?
or The stick will be sent off the wheels to the left?

I'm quite confused

Physics news on Phys.org
If the wheels rotated slowly the stick would be balanced between the wheels. Make the following to prove it to yourself,

Attachments

• 2011_1128_205752AA.jpg
    2011_1128_205752AA.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 475
Spinnor said:
If the wheels rotated slowly the stick would be balanced between the wheels. Make the following to prove it to yourself,

i tried to do the experiment, but it simply won't work because when i put the ruler off-centered to the right the ruler keep falling. however, i tried to do it when the ruler is centered, and the result is that the ruler doesn't move anywhere if i rotate both of the wheels with same speed. which means that the ruler stays on the same spot, but again it's not the answer.

What is the counter rotation theory problem?

The counter rotation theory problem is a phenomenon observed in the motion of celestial bodies, specifically in the rotation of galaxies. It refers to the fact that some galaxies have stars and gas rotating in opposite directions, which is not predicted by standard models of galaxy formation.

What is the current explanation for the counter rotation theory problem?

The current explanation for the counter rotation theory problem is that it is caused by interactions between galaxies. When two galaxies collide or come close together, their gravitational forces can cause the gas and stars in one galaxy to rotate in the opposite direction. This can also lead to the formation of new stars and alter the overall shape of the galaxy.

Is the counter rotation theory problem a common occurrence?

The counter rotation theory problem is not a common occurrence, but it has been observed in several galaxies, including our own Milky Way. It is estimated that around 10% of galaxies may exhibit some form of counter rotation.

What further research is being done to understand the counter rotation theory problem?

Scientists are using advanced telescopes and computer simulations to study the counter rotation theory problem in more detail. They are also investigating other possible causes, such as the impact of dark matter and the role of black holes in galaxy rotation.

How does the counter rotation theory problem impact our understanding of the universe?

The counter rotation theory problem challenges our current understanding of how galaxies form and evolve. It suggests that there may be other factors at play in the formation of galaxies, and that our current models may be incomplete. Further research on this phenomenon can lead to a better understanding of the universe and its origins.