Best comprehensive Reference Book for Pure Math?

In summary, the book is a compilation of math theorems, 6000+ formulas, with a summary of their proofs. It covers most of what was known in the late 18th century.
phusicist
For those of you who don't know, "Formulas and Theorems" is basically a compilation of thousands of math theorems, 6000+ formulas, with a summary of their proofs, covering most of what was known in the late 18th century.

What I'm looking for is a comprehensive reference book with worked examples, possibly one to practice proofs, very much like "Formulas and Theorems in Pure mathematics" by George Shoobridge Carr, except more up to date, and covering more advanced topics. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wasn't that the book Ramanujan taught himself out of?

I'm looking for a similar book. Is there a more up-to-date and modern version of carr? or a similar one?

You might want to look at the Oxford Users' Guide to Mathematics. You can view some of the content on Amazon and judge if that's what you had in mind. Here's another review. You also could search Amazon for either Handbook of Mathematics or Mathematical Handbook, but most of the results are oriented towards scientists and engineers. I own this volume. It's very comprehensive, but I don't refer to it very often.

Will these books be helpful for a high school or undergrad student?

Nuts, I was really curious to see Carr's book and I can't seem to find it on sale anywhere except India (and even that's out of stock). Did this book get reprinted under a different title or is it simply not sold anymore?

MissSilvy said:
Nuts, I was really curious to see Carr's book and I can't seem to find it on sale anywhere except India (and even that's out of stock). Did this book get reprinted under a different title or is it simply not sold anymore?

It's out of copyright. It had to be available online somewhere.

http://www.archive.org/details/synopsisofelemen00carrrich

1. What makes a reference book the "best" for pure math?

A good reference book for pure math should cover a wide range of topics, be well-organized and easy to navigate, provide clear and concise explanations, and have a comprehensive index and bibliography for further reading.

2. Is it better to have a physical or digital copy of a reference book for pure math?

This ultimately depends on personal preference. Some people may prefer the convenience of a digital copy, while others may prefer the tactile experience of a physical book. However, it's important to make sure that the digital copy is easily searchable and that the physical copy is well-bound and durable.

3. Are there any reference books for pure math that are suitable for beginners?

Yes, there are many reference books that cater to beginners in pure math. These books typically start with the basics and gradually build up to more advanced topics, making them accessible to those without a strong background in math.

4. Can a reference book for pure math replace a textbook?

No, a reference book is meant to supplement a textbook, not replace it. While a textbook provides a structured learning experience with exercises and examples, a reference book provides a quick and easy way to access information and review concepts.

5. Are there any reference books for pure math that are specifically geared towards a certain branch of math?

Yes, there are many reference books that focus on specific branches of math, such as algebra, calculus, or geometry. These books may provide more in-depth explanations and examples for that particular branch, making them useful for students or researchers specializing in that area.