What are some of your favorite science-fiction novels?

In summary: I don't know how to say it...enlightening book about a 75-year-old man that is recruited to join the military to fight a war that started when he was 25. It's a really fun and quick read. In summary, people's favorite books tend to be those with a good plot and interesting characters.
AnTiFreeze3 said:
I started the Culture series recently, with the first book being Consider Phlebas, by Iain Banks.
You've got a lot of enjoyable reading ahead of you :smile: the next Culture book, The Player of Games remains one of my favourite novels. Similarly to Consider Phlebas it takes place mostly outside the Culture albeit with characters from it. This was a good method by Banks IMO as by setting the first few stories mostly at a remove from the Culture he stoked up interest that would last a lot longer than if readers were plunged into the nigh-omnipotent utopian Culture straight away.

Sadly the latter half of the Culture books have steadily marched down the road to staleness in my opinion (though I've spoken to others who echo it) as the Culture has been set up as too powerful for there really to be much engagement with whatever struggle is the centrepiece of the plot. That and some story elements have become quite repetitive. I'm hoping that for the next book Banks takes it back to how it began and starts telling stories at a smaller scale, removed from the Culture itself rather than repeating the "epic catastrophe that sucks in a few small characters but is ultimately solved by omniscient Minds piloting omnipotent warships" style of plot that seems to becoming endemic to his novels.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eon, by Greg Bear.
Foundation's Fear, by Gregory Benford.
Foundation and Chaos, by Greg Bear.
Foundation's Triumph, by David Brin.

Revelation Space and Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds.

Eon, by Greg Bear.
Foundation's Fear, by Gregory Benford.
Foundation and Chaos, by Greg Bear.
Foundation's Triumph, by David Brin.

If you like Greg Bear you would love Blood Music. Its another novel he wrote originally as a short story.

Aero51 said:
If you like Greg Bear you would love Blood Music. Its another novel he wrote originally as a short story.
He's so good. Being the huge Halo nerd that I am, next on my queue are his three Halo books; Cryptum, Primordium, and Silentium. I'm so psyched about reading them I don't even know what to do with myself. Silentium will be available for purchase on the 19th on March I believe.

I'll be sure to check out Blood Music too.

To be honest I had no idea Greg Bear was so popular. Never been a Halo fan - I keep thinking of 12 year olds on XBox live screaming obscenities haha. A few of my friends are really into it though.

Have you read any of Michael Crichton? I liked Prey, I think I read timeline too years ago when I was in my early teens.

Aero51 said:
Never been a Halo fan - I keep thinking of 12 year olds on XBox live screaming obscenities haha. A few of my friends are really into it though.
Yea I agree, which is why I always have voice turned off and don't use a mic. I just like to shoot stuff in the face, haha.

Aero51 said:
Have you read any of Michael Crichton? I liked Prey, I think I read timeline too years ago when I was in my early teens.
I did read the first Jurassic Park, I liked all his films I saw; Twister, Jurassic Park. I'm pretty picky about what I read outside of non-fiction though, and honestly couldn't tell you in the last several years what I've read that wasn't science fiction.

I think Timeline by Michael Crichton was a pretty good SF. The whole thing of time traveling into the middle ages is really awesome! And Michael always puts the science in how the characters achieve their technology!(:

Ryan_m_b said:
You've got a lot of enjoyable reading ahead of you :smile:

I can't believe I didn't notice this until now!

That's good to know that The Player of Games is an excellent book, considering I've been finished with Consider Phlebas for a while and would like to continue on with the series.

One interesting aspect of Iain Banks' writing was that I felt as if I were watching a movie, and not reading a book. He is very visually descriptive, to where I had no difficulty at all imagining something in my mind, whereas other books aren't so kind.

I would wholeheartedly agree that he does a great job of creating intrigue about the Culture; I was almost disappointed with how little of a role it played in the book (despite Consider Phlebas revolving around a war involving the Culture), but there was enough in there to satiate my curiosity, and to allow my imagination to work with what it was given.

Last edited:
In my British Literature class, we have been supplied with a textbook containing poems, short stories, and a few brief novella. I obviously skipped over the fecal matter inside and immediately started reading the included works of George Orwell and H.G. Wells.

I found The Star by H.G. Wells, and fell in love with it instantly. I originally had a brief summary typed up here, but realized that short stories rely upon surprises and quick emotional surges for their potency, so I wouldn't dare risk ruining it for you by giving away too much information.

It can be read http://www.classicreader.com/book/176/1/ for free, and it would probably take up less than 10 pages of a printed book, so you really have no excuse not to read it.

I was trying to work out how that could have a twist ending given its mechanistic style. Awsome when it came, though.

So I have just finished The Lord of the Icy Garden by Jarosław Grzędowicz. Sci-Fi that mixes with fantasy in an unexpected way. Only in Polish at the moment, but if it will be ever translated, do read - all four books, to the very end. Somehow in the end he makes all ends meet, even if by the time I started to read the third book I lost my faith the story will ever end still making sense.

I haven't read many science-fiction books, but recently I began reading Asimov books.
-The End of Eternity
-Prelude to Foundation
-Forward the Foundation

I liked them a lot. Especially "The End of Eternity".

R_beta.v3 said:
I haven't read many science-fiction books, but recently I began reading Asimov books.
-The End of Eternity
-Prelude to Foundation
-Forward the Foundation

I liked them a lot. Especially "The End of Eternity".

I became an Asimov reader at a very early age. I was one of those
people that read everything he wrote on any subject.
His short stories (and Clarkes) were particular favourites on train journeys.
I loved all his science articles and even his intro's into his stories.

I can recommend any of his collections as being well worth the time.
There seems to be very little he wrote that wasn't hugely enjoyable.
Not bad for someone who just sat down and typed with hardly any revision.
However I DON'T recommend his autobiography. I have 2 volumes and find it impossible to read.
That was quite a shock at the time.

If you enjoy the longer stuff like the Foundation trilogy ( I refuse to accept a 4th -
its a trilogy damn it!) you might also like some of E.E. Doc Smiths stuff -
Oh and of course Harry Harrisons Stainless Steel Rat series.

Last edited:
Ender's Game series was definitely nice, and I must say the physics of Halo along with its novels make for another source of entertainment, apart from the action and plot of the actual storyline. It's nice to think about what humans could eventually achieve.

My personal favorite is "Lighting" by Dean Koontz. It centers around the life of girl named Laura and a mysterious man that continues to appear at key moments of her life, starting with the night she was born. It came out in 1988 but I still pick it up and re read it occasionally.

Have Spacesuit, Will Travel by Robert Heinlein changed my life when I was 16. All his early stuff is great.
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson was amazing, Diamond Age was so-so, about 1/3 of Cryptonomicon was good, and I've given up on the rest.
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card was brilliant, and his first. That author swings for the fence on every pitch--either he belts it out of the park or spins around in circles looking ridiculous. Unfortunately usually the latter.
The Honor Harrington series by David Weber--for the characters more than science.
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge was magnificent, but don't read the sequels unless you like grim, grim, and more grim suffering.
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin is mostly about societies, but the main character is a physicist.

I love the novels of ideas, and the novels of human integrity and accomplishment. Bujold and Benford and Brin are all great in various ways (currently halfway through Existence by David Brin and it is a hard but rewarding read.) I have read a lot of 7-9 on the hardness scale, but I prefer around 4 to 6 because it's a story not a textbook.

Cruikshank said:
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card was brilliant, and his first.
Got to give a ditto on this one. I have read so many science fiction novels and this one stands out even so many years later.

jim hardy said:
Books to make one laugh out loud?
Vonnegut's Venus on the Half Shell
Sturgeon's Ether Breather tales, three of them if i recall

Except Venus on the Half Shell is Philip Jose Farmer writing as Kilgore Trout, not Vonnegut. Sorry I'm two years late with this revelation, but I just joined.

netgypsy said:
What about some that are light, goofy, convoluted, entertaining, easy to read,funny and don't have creepy creatures, collecting booty, and fighting in 90% of the book. And no glaringly bad science please (A family member has requested some of these) they like Hitchhiler's Guide to the Galaxy and Anne McCaffrey dragon rider but funnier than her stuff.

Thanks

Perhaps Altered Carbon though it is a bit more gritty than humorous not in the realm of hard scifi. Seems to be hard to find hard scifi that is well written, entertaining, and challenging as literature

the best thing i have ever read is 'the time machine' and 'the first men in the moon'. it's nice .it was written by h g wells , the first science fiction author.

My above all favorite sci fi book is The Ophiuchi hotline from John Varley. the way it depics the future, the story evolves in a time when humans were "kicked out" of planet Earth and are stranded across the universe. Lilo the main character is a genetist who specializes in human genenetics which is ilegal. The story is very complex, and I loved every single word in it.

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

Likes Battlemage!
I just recently read two of Isaac Asimov's short stories; The Last Question and The Last Answer. Despite obviously similar names, they're separate stories with separate characters, but both are very thought provoking, and definitely worth the read.

Likes Battlemage!
Neuromancer by William Gibson. Great characters, world-building and plot, even though extrapolating from 80s tech is now badly outdated, i.e. no web or cellphones. Gibson has the best writing style of anyone I've ever read.
Player of Games by Iain M Banks (now sadly deceased), very powerful, very clever and I love the game it depicts.

Radix is excellent. Also the series called the Urth of the New Sun. It begins with "The Shadow of the Torturer".
Oh! Cyrano De Bergerac was the first science fiction writer. He wrote "To the Moon and Back". My hero. Educated, creative and tragic and one of the very best swordsmen who ever did live.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Star Wars!

More spesifically I really like the Bane triology. I have long been really fascinated by the sith and the ways of the dark side. This triology is from the old republic era and covers Darth Bane's journy from a cortosis miner to a dark lord of the sith. He learns that the brotherhood of darkness has left the old ways of the sith and seeks to reinstate the rule of two.

enders game.

that is all i can say this book is like star-trek
taken to the next level

I am a bit surprised no one mentioned Peter F. Hamilton, so I'd like to mention his The Reality Dysfunction (first book in the The Night's Dawn Trilogy) and his earlier Mindstar Rising as very entertaining and readable, containing both hard and soft science-fiction.

Last time : Rise of Leviathan, while i sensed certain contradictions even within the book, what they can detect and what they can't in space, well it is still a good story. :)

three-body

Hello all,

Well read Sci Fi fan here so ill give some of my favourites:

Larry Niven is mentioned but only his Ringworld series - A mote in Gods Eye was a good read.

Peter F Hamilton has been mentioned above - big fan of the Void and Commenwealth series of books.

Arthur C Clarke Love the Rama novels - some great hard sci fi in there. Also some other great Arthur C Clarke novels and Collaborations - Last Theorem was enjoyable for me.

Kevin J Anderson not mentioned above but the Saga of Seven Suns I found enjoyable - similar to Peter F Hamilton in form (Soft Space Opera.)

Gary Gibson is not mentioned and I found the Shoal Sequence to be an enjoyable set of books. Again these are Soft Space Opera.

Michael Cobley is a good auther with the Seeds of Earth being an enjoyable book.

I enjoy most of the Big 5 novels but also am enjoying the emergance of the Space Opera more recently.

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have a favourite alien species from within a novel? I think the Emmisarries from Stealing Light are funny - they are basically large Slugs who scream down Megaphones in their insane search for God - their technology puts them above other races who they treat brutally. Just great imagery!

Great thread btw.

Ender's Game

Ender's Game
Just read it, it's a great series about a young boy and saving the world from aliens. It's pretty emotional sometimes.

To revive the slow thread since my reading list is very much indebted to this page; personally would like to add a vote for Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein.

<h2>1. What are some of your favorite science-fiction novels?</h2><p>As a scientist, I have a deep appreciation for the imaginative and thought-provoking world of science fiction. Some of my all-time favorite science-fiction novels include "1984" by George Orwell, "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, "Dune" by Frank Herbert, "Foundation" by Isaac Asimov, and "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.</p><h2>2. What makes these novels stand out to you?</h2><p>These novels stand out to me because they not only entertain with their futuristic settings and advanced technologies, but also challenge our understanding of human nature, society, and the world we live in. They offer unique perspectives and make us question the potential consequences of scientific advancements.</p><h2>3. Do you have a favorite sub-genre of science fiction?</h2><p>While I enjoy all forms of science fiction, I have a particular fondness for dystopian novels. The exploration of potential futures and the examination of the human condition in these worlds fascinates me.</p><h2>4. Are there any recent science-fiction novels that have caught your attention?</h2><p>Yes, "The Three-Body Problem" by Liu Cixin and "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline are two recent science-fiction novels that have left a lasting impression on me. They both offer unique and thought-provoking concepts that have stayed with me long after finishing the books.</p><h2>5. How has reading science fiction influenced your work as a scientist?</h2><p>Reading science fiction has greatly influenced my work as a scientist. It has sparked my imagination and encouraged me to think outside the box when approaching scientific problems. It has also reminded me of the potential consequences of our actions and the importance of ethical considerations in scientific research.</p>

1. What are some of your favorite science-fiction novels?

As a scientist, I have a deep appreciation for the imaginative and thought-provoking world of science fiction. Some of my all-time favorite science-fiction novels include "1984" by George Orwell, "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, "Dune" by Frank Herbert, "Foundation" by Isaac Asimov, and "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.

2. What makes these novels stand out to you?

These novels stand out to me because they not only entertain with their futuristic settings and advanced technologies, but also challenge our understanding of human nature, society, and the world we live in. They offer unique perspectives and make us question the potential consequences of scientific advancements.

3. Do you have a favorite sub-genre of science fiction?

While I enjoy all forms of science fiction, I have a particular fondness for dystopian novels. The exploration of potential futures and the examination of the human condition in these worlds fascinates me.

4. Are there any recent science-fiction novels that have caught your attention?

Yes, "The Three-Body Problem" by Liu Cixin and "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline are two recent science-fiction novels that have left a lasting impression on me. They both offer unique and thought-provoking concepts that have stayed with me long after finishing the books.

5. How has reading science fiction influenced your work as a scientist?

Reading science fiction has greatly influenced my work as a scientist. It has sparked my imagination and encouraged me to think outside the box when approaching scientific problems. It has also reminded me of the potential consequences of our actions and the importance of ethical considerations in scientific research.