Safety- poly resin , MEKp my boss might be a butthead

• Thread starter Hydrangea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Safety
In summary, it does seem that there could have been a greater concern for the worker's safety if they were not wearing proper protective gear.
Hydrangea
On a side note, does anyone think it is crummy that I had to pour and mix polyester resin, MEKP , (fume hood available), while my boss took solvents and chemicals out of the fume hood for weighing etc? I was not provided a respirator, even though all the MSDS s and most forums indicate it is usual... :(

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hydrangea said:
On a side note, does anyone think it is crummy that I had to pour and mix polyester resin, MEKP , (fume hood available), while my boss took solvents and chemicals out of the fume hood for weighing etc? I was not provided a respirator, even though all the MSDS s and most forums indicate it is usual... :(

Actually the MSDS says:
http://noracperoxides.com/msds/Norox_MEKP/MEKP-9_MSDS.pdf
If airborne concentrations are expected to exceed acceptable levels wear a NIOSH
approved air-purifying respirator with an organic vapor cartridge or canister. When
using respirators refer to OSHA’s 29CFR 1910.134
It also states that by inhalation it is moderately toxic, but a severe skin and eye irritant.

Since you had a fume hood the level of airborne concentration should have been acceptable.

From the MSDS, a greater worry would have been about a lack of both goggles for eye protection and protective clothing and gloves for skin protection, but since you did not mention that it seems not to have worried you or the items were available.

Not saying you are incorrect in feeling apprehensive. Perhaps discuss with your boss about aquiring resperators to be available, since when handling toxic material always expect the unexpected.

256bits said:
Actually the MSDS says:
http://noracperoxides.com/msds/Norox_MEKP/MEKP-9_MSDS.pdf

Right. Thank you re: skin contact, eye advice.

What about the polyester resin? I did read the thing. But I have been reading so many this last week I have tuned them out in a way. TMI.
Lol, yes: protective clothing donned. I wear spec.s, so I admittedly ought to have had on goggles over top. I have the bad habit of thinking the glasses are enough.

Now that you mention it, I am guilty of missing the forest- trees. I was cleaning up and a little bit of acetone splashed onto my face. Ick. My eyes were safe. Guess I hardly have room to complain-- one of those moments where you are embarrassed at your mistake so I ignore it.(wiped on my lab coat arm).

I guess it bugged me that she didn't seem to have issue with having the chemicals opened up and then started to pour the mekp on the open bench top . I know I shouldn't gripe because after all, "who amongst is perfect?" Like, I'm throwing stones from my glass house, when actually, I'm sure I've done all of the same. Deep breath!

Thanks for your response!

Last edited:

1. What is poly resin and what safety precautions should I take when working with it?

Poly resin is a type of synthetic resin that is commonly used in industrial settings, such as in the production of plastics and coatings. When working with poly resin, it is important to wear protective gloves, goggles, and a respirator mask to prevent skin and eye irritation and inhalation of fumes. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid buildup of fumes.

2. What is MEKp and why is it important to handle it with caution?

MEKp, or methyl ethyl ketone peroxide, is a chemical catalyst commonly used in the production of poly resins. It is a highly flammable and reactive substance, and can cause skin irritation, eye damage, and respiratory problems if not handled properly. It is important to wear protective gear, work in a well-ventilated area, and follow proper handling and storage protocols when working with MEKp.

3. What are some potential health risks associated with working with poly resin and MEKp?

The main health risks associated with working with poly resin and MEKp include skin and eye irritation, respiratory problems, and potential chemical burns or explosions if not handled properly. Long-term exposure to these substances may also have negative effects on the nervous system, liver, and kidneys.

4. How can I dispose of poly resin and MEKp safely?

Poly resin and MEKp should never be disposed of in regular trash or poured down the drain. They should be disposed of according to local and federal regulations, which may include taking them to a designated hazardous waste facility. It is important to follow proper disposal procedures to avoid harm to the environment and potential legal consequences.

5. What should I do if I experience an accident or injury while working with poly resin and MEKp?

If you experience an accident or injury while working with poly resin and MEKp, seek medical attention immediately. Make sure to inform your supervisor and follow any necessary reporting procedures. It is also important to review the incident and identify any safety measures that can be implemented to prevent similar accidents in the future.