A stab wound from a single edged weapon. How to identify?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wound
In summary, the conversation discusses the characteristics and potential causes of a wound caused by a single-edged knife. It also mentions the possibility of legal implications and the need for further examination of the wound.
sameeralord
Hello,

Here is single edged knife.

fixed_anatomy.jpg

Consider
spine= blunt end
blade belly = sharp cutting edge

Here is the wound

FOR028.jpg

Now the really pointed end at the left side of the wound, is it created by blade tip or the blade belly (sharp cutting edge). This might be obvious but I'm bit confused at how this wound is created, when I look at double edged wounds. Thanks :smile:

FOR115.jpg

Double edged left, single edged right.

Biology news on Phys.org
Is this for forensics analysis of knife wounds?
Your motive might be questioned if there is any legalities involved.

A knife can be used to stab, slash, or cut.
Subsequently, the wound can be either a stabbing wound, a slashing wound or an incised wound.

You have to check depth and length of wound to narrow further down.

sameeralord said:
Hello,Consider
spine= blunt end
blade belly = sharp cutting edge

Here is the wound

FOR028.jpg

Now the really pointed end at the left side of the wound, is it created by blade tip or the blade belly (sharp cutting edge). This might be obvious but I'm bit confused at how this wound is created, when I look at double edged wounds. Thanks :smile:

FOR115.jpg

Double edged left, single edged right.

Do you mean this wound looks double-edged to you?. It was created from a single edged knife, as you can tell from the sharpness of the nearer extremity of the wound. Perhaps you were thinking one wound edge should be more ragged, but the skin has separated and wound edges have become more stretched out, reducing the contrast between the two edges. You don't see this in clay. If you looked at this under magnification, I think you could tell the difference between the wound edges.

Last edited:
It appears to have been created with a small single edge knife. The puncture doesn't look very deep. Some adipose tissue appears to be visible.

Thank you for your question. I would approach this situation by first identifying the characteristics of a stab wound from a single edged weapon. A single edged weapon typically has a sharp cutting edge on one side of the blade, while the other side may be blunt or have a spine. This results in a wound with a distinct shape, with one side being sharp and the other side being blunt.

In the image provided, it appears that the wound was created by a single edged knife with a sharp blade belly. This can be determined by the pointed end of the wound, which is likely created by the sharp cutting edge of the blade. Additionally, the wound has a distinct shape with one side being sharp and the other side being blunt, further indicating that a single edged weapon was used.

Comparing this wound to a double edged wound, where both sides of the blade are sharp, we can see that the shape and characteristics of the wound are different. This further supports the conclusion that a single edged weapon was used in this case.

In summary, to identify a stab wound from a single edged weapon, one should look for a wound with a distinct shape, with one side being sharp and the other side being blunt. Additionally, examining the weapon used and comparing it to a double edged weapon can also help in identifying the type of wound. I hope this helps to clarify any confusion you may have had.

1. How can I tell if a wound was caused by a single edged weapon?

The wound caused by a single edged weapon will typically have a clean, straight edge and a triangular shape. It may also have a small puncture mark at the center where the tip of the weapon entered the skin.

2. Are there any specific features of a single edged weapon wound that can help with identification?

Single edged weapon wounds may have a beveled or angled edge, as well as a pattern of striations on the skin from the blade's edge. These features can help differentiate them from wounds caused by double edged weapons.

3. Can a single edged weapon wound be confused with other types of wounds?

Yes, depending on the severity and location of the wound, it can be confused with other types of wounds such as cuts from broken glass or sharp objects, animal bites, or even surgical incisions. It's important to consider the context and other evidence at the crime scene when identifying the cause of a wound.

4. Are there any other factors to consider when identifying a single edged weapon wound?

Yes, the depth and direction of the wound can also provide clues as to the type of weapon used. A wound that is deeper on one side and shallower on the other may indicate a single edged weapon. Additionally, the presence of tissue or bone damage can also help with identification.

5. Can a single edged weapon wound be fatal?

Yes, depending on the location and severity of the wound, a single edged weapon wound can be fatal. Wounds to vital organs or major blood vessels are more likely to result in death. It's important to seek medical attention immediately for any stab wound, regardless of the type of weapon used.