Determining Plate Thickness for Motor Attachment

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the thickness of a plate attached to a motor weighing 17 kg. The suggested method involves calculating the force and bending moment on the bolts holding the plate to the wall, as well as considering the plate stresses. A suggested thickness of 1/8 inch for steel or aluminum is proposed, with a disclaimer for potential risks.
Mauriza
Hello guys, i have a problem in determining a thickness of a plate. i have a motor (m = 17 kg) attached to a plate. the design can be seen in the attachment. i need to know the dimension of "t".

Attachments

• samping.jpg
    samping.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 420
  • depan.png
    depan.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 602
Engineering news on Phys.org
Use a caliper if it already exists. Or, is this a homework type problem to calculate the minimum t to hold the 17kg? If you just want to make something, use 1/4" alum.

Mauriza said:
Hello guys, i have a problem in determining a thickness of a plate. i have a motor (m = 17 kg) attached to a plate. the design can be seen in the attachment. i need to know the dimension of "t".

One way to do it is to calculate the force in each of the 4 bolts that fasten the plate to the wall. Then calculate the bending moment in the plate equal to the bolt tensile force times its perpendicular distance to the inner set of the bolt circle which holds the motor to the plate. Then check the plate stresses from that moment.
If I convert to customary USA units, the motor ways say 50 pounds let's use 100 pounds to account for vibration impacts and throw
a safety factor of 4 on it. That's 400 pounds. Assume a 12 inch diameter motor 12 inches long. Moment at plate = 2400 inch pounds. Load to one bolt is 2400 divided by 12 on 2 bolts, or bolt tension = 100 pounds. Moment to inner bolts is say 1000 in pounds. Using 30000 psi steel or aluminum, the required section modulus is 1/30 inches cubed and that is 10t^2/6 solve t = about 1/8 inch. Use 1/4 inch aluminum as suggested, or use 1/4 in steel for better plate rigidity. Based on a lot of assumptions here. Disclaimer: proceed at your own risk, the author absolves himself of all responsibility.

1. How do you determine the appropriate plate thickness for motor attachment?

The thickness of the plate for motor attachment can be determined by considering the weight and power of the motor, as well as the expected forces and stresses that the motor will experience during operation. Generally, a thicker plate is needed for heavier and more powerful motors.

2. What factors should be taken into account when determining the plate thickness for motor attachment?

Apart from the motor weight and power, other important factors to consider include the type and size of bolts or screws used for attachment, the material and strength of the plate, and the environment in which the motor will be operating.

3. Are there any standard guidelines for determining plate thickness for motor attachment?

There are no specific standards for determining plate thickness for motor attachment as it largely depends on the specific motor and application. However, engineering handbooks and design guides can provide useful recommendations and equations for calculating the required thickness.

4. Can the plate thickness for motor attachment be too thick?

Yes, the plate thickness can be too thick, which can lead to unnecessary weight and cost. It is important to strike a balance between having a strong and sturdy attachment while also minimizing excess material.

5. How important is the plate thickness for motor attachment in ensuring motor stability?

The plate thickness is crucial in providing stability and support for the motor during operation. A properly sized and designed plate can prevent the motor from vibrating or shifting, ensuring efficient and safe functioning of the motor.