Is the Calculated Torque on a Bolted Beam Correct?

In summary, torque of bolted beam refers to the rotational force applied to a bolt when tightening it into a beam. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the bolt by the distance from the center of the bolt to the point where the force is applied. The torque is important for determining the clamping force of the bolt and ensuring the structural integrity of the beam. The amount of torque can greatly affect the strength of the bolted connection, and several factors such as bolt type and size, beam material, and torque wrench accuracy can influence the final torque value.
vbplaya
hey could someone please help me to check if i did this correctly and got the right answer please? thanks

A 4m long, 500kg steel beam extends horizontally from the point where it is bolted to the framework of a building. a 70 kg construction worker stands at the far end of the beam. what is the magnitude of the torque about the point where the beam is bolted?

i used t=r x F

2(500)(9.8) + 4(70)(9.8)

my result came out to be 12,544 N m...

i am not sure if this is correct or not. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Your calculation for the torque seems to be correct. Just make sure to specify the direction of the torque, as torque is a vector quantity. In this case, the torque would be clockwise. Also, make sure to include the units in your answer (N m in this case). Overall, your approach and calculation seem to be correct. Good job!

1. What is torque of bolted beam?

Torque of bolted beam refers to the measure of the rotational force applied to a bolt when tightening it into a beam. It is a critical factor in ensuring the structural integrity and stability of the beam.

2. How is torque of bolted beam calculated?

The torque of a bolted beam is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the bolt by the distance from the center of the bolt to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the moment arm and is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm).

3. Why is torque of bolted beam important?

The torque of bolted beam is important because it determines the clamping force of the bolt, which is crucial in preventing the beam from slipping or rotating. It also ensures that the beam is properly connected and able to withstand the loads and stresses placed upon it.

4. How does torque affect the strength of a bolted connection?

The amount of torque applied to a bolt can significantly impact the strength of a bolted connection. If the torque is too low, the bolt may not be tight enough to hold the beam in place, while too much torque can cause the bolt to break or the beam to deform. Therefore, it is important to carefully calculate and apply the correct torque for a secure and strong connection.

5. What factors can affect the torque of a bolted beam?

Several factors can affect the torque of a bolted beam, including the type and size of the bolt, the material and condition of the beam, and the lubrication used on the bolt. Additionally, the accuracy and calibration of the torque wrench used to tighten the bolt can also impact the final torque value.