US Population: 300,000,000 come October

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    population
In summary: The population is already clearly out of control.I think it's time for Ms. Wengert to sell her thesaurus.Anyway, yeah, overpopulation is a big concern in the US, not because of population density, but because of our rapid draining of natural resources. Places like India and China have a lot of people, but their average citizen doesn't consume nearly as much as the average American. Over the last 50 years, (I think) americas use of power has increased alot, while Japan, has remained almost neutral.The big countries like Russia, Canada and the US are underpopulated both in terms of population density and unexploited natural resources.Just because it's low relative to land
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/13/n...00&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

At that rate, the total is expected to top 300 million late this year. But with those projections adjusted monthly and the number of births typically peaking during the summer, the benchmark is likely to be reached about nine months from now.

"You end up with a number in October," said Katrina Wengert, a demographer and a keeper of the Census Bureau's official Population Clock, getting about as specific as possible this far in advance in a field subject to chronic fudging and revising. The clock is, itself, a contrivance, of course, but no more so than other pretexts for a wintertime sexual encounter. Rest assured that hospital publicists, canny obstetricians, entrepreneurial chambers of commerce, baby food manufacturers, public officials and countless others pursuing some political social or personal agenda, abetted by the media, are already guesstimating the growth rate to anoint any number of unsuspecting newborns as the mythical American who pushed the nation's population to 300 million.

If any of you want to have that baby, you better hurry the heck up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats still relatively low, you know.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Thats still relatively low, you know.

Relative to what? Africa?

Relative to any other nation state in terms of usable land to population ratio. Europe has our population and much less the land mass. Get urself a good geography book and read it. The rate of population growth on the US is actually on the decline .

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Relative to any other nation state in terms of usable land to population ratio. Europe has our population and much less the land mass. Get urself a good geography book and read it. The rate of population growth on the US is actually on the decline .

Thanks for correcting me on something I never said.

It was my pleasure. :)

"You end up with a number in October," said Katrina Wengert, a demographer and a keeper of the Census Bureau's official Population Clock, getting about as specific as possible this far in advance in a field subject to chronic fudging and revising. The clock is, itself, a contrivance, of course, but no more so than other pretexts for a wintertime sexual encounter. Rest assured that hospital publicists, canny obstetricians, entrepreneurial chambers of commerce, baby food manufacturers, public officials and countless others pursuing some political social or personal agenda, abetted by the media, are already guesstimating the growth rate to anoint any number of unsuspecting newborns as the mythical American who pushed the nation's population to 300 million.

I think it's time for Ms. Wengert to sell her thesaurus.

Anyway, yeah, overpopulation is a big concern in the US, not because of population density, but because of our rapid draining of natural resources. Places like India and China have a lot of people, but their average citizen doesn't consume nearly as much as the average American.

Over the last 50 years, (I think) americas use of power has increased alot, while Japan, has remained almost neutral.

The big countries like Russia, Canada and the US are underpopulated both in terms of population density and unexploited natural resources.

Just because it's low relative to land, that doesn't mean which shouldn't control our population. That sort of ignorance will lead us to much bigger problems later.

The population is already clearly out of control.

SpaceTiger said:
I think it's time for Ms. Wengert to sell her thesaurus.

Anyway, yeah, overpopulation is a big concern in the US, not because of population density, but because of our rapid draining of natural resources. Places like India and China have a lot of people, but their average citizen doesn't consume nearly as much as the average American.

...but they really want to catch up.

What is the current population of the United States?

The current population of the United States is approximately 328.2 million people as of October 2021.

What factors contribute to the growth of the US population?

There are several factors that contribute to the growth of the US population, including immigration, natural population increase (births minus deaths), and an overall increase in life expectancy.

How does the US population compare to other countries?

The US population is the third largest in the world, behind China and India. However, the US has a much lower population density compared to these countries due to its larger land area.

What impact does a growing population have on the environment?

A growing population can have a significant impact on the environment, including increased demands for resources such as water and energy, increased pollution and waste, and loss of biodiversity. However, sustainable practices and advancements in technology can help mitigate these impacts.

What are the potential implications of a US population of 300,000,000?

A larger population can lead to increased economic growth and diversity, but it can also put strain on resources and infrastructure. Additionally, a larger population can lead to political and social challenges, particularly in terms of representation and distribution of resources. It is important for policymakers to consider these implications when planning for the future.