Programming language to make a forum

In summary, if you want to make a simple program for your forum, you should use php as it is most likely the language your forum software is written in. You can use any text editor to write your php code and then execute it through a web server or a shell. If you have access to your forum's database, you can directly add fake content to it. If you want to interact with the internet and manipulate URLs, Java would be a good choice but it has a steep learning curve. If you just want to write small scripts for maintaining your system or creating CGI scripts, you can use languages like Perl, Ruby, Python, or PHP. It is important to choose your goal as a programmer and then choose the appropriate language.
GiTS
I want to make a simple program for an experimental forum of mine. I need it to automatically make threads. I don't really have any legitimate programming experience or knowledge. What programming language would be good for my needs? Preferably one that can interact with the internet like retreiving the current URL and going to a URL.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Your forum software is most likely written in php. It should be a simple matter of adding some additional php to the forum's code to add "fake" content to your database.

- Warren

what program can I use to write php code?

Notepad. TextPad. UltraEdit. Emacs. Any editor you want, really.

Honestly if you have no programming experience, this mission is not the right place to begin. Sorry to burst your bubble.

- Warren

where's a good place to learn php?

chroot said:
Your forum software is most likely written in php. It should be a simple matter of adding some additional php to the forum's code to add "fake" content to your database.

- Warren
Just to make sure, once the php code is written were exactly do I put it?

once you write your php program you will need to download the php library (if you haven't already done so). In most cases php programs are executed by a webserver (apache, IIS, etc.) but you can also run it from a shell (like from DOS).

From what I understand from your post, you don't really need to worry too much about URLs and posting data and handling data. If you have have access to your forum, you should just access the database/flatfile directly in order to create threads.

Java programming language will be the best for you as it can interact with the internet and can retrieve current URL and also at the same time go to it.

I would recommend php over java since java has a steep learning curve

Depending on what kind of programmer you wish to be, shall choose your first language. If you wish to be a real programmer, I recommend beginning with C (possibly Pascal also). Then moving on to Java, C#, or/and C++.

If you wish to write little scripts once in awhile, for either maintaining your system or a CGI script for a website: study something similar to Perl, Ruby, Python, or/and PHP. Though, PHP is only implemented for web development.

Thus, choose your goal as a programmer. :tongue: Of course you can choose to write little scripts, then move to real programming; though, I believe it is a waste of time.

1. What is a programming language?

A programming language is a set of instructions and rules that are used to create computer programs and software. It allows developers to communicate with computers and tell them what to do.

2. Which programming language is best for making a forum?

There are several programming languages that can be used to create a forum, such as PHP, Python, and Java. The best language to use will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

3. What features should a programming language have for creating a forum?

A programming language used for creating a forum should have features such as database connectivity, user authentication, and the ability to handle user input and display content dynamically.

4. Can I use multiple programming languages to create a forum?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple programming languages to create a forum. For example, you can use HTML for the front-end design, CSS for styling, and PHP for the back-end functionality.

5. Do I need to know how to code to create a forum?

While having knowledge of coding can be helpful, it is not necessary to create a forum. There are many forum software and platforms available that allow you to create a forum without coding, using a user-friendly interface.