Complex Solutions to Quadratic Equations: Am I Right or Did I Mess Up?

• Thread starter wooby
  • Start date
In summary, there is no solution set because for the real component to be 0 one must be able to solve x^2+x+1=0 and such a solution does not exist in the reals.
wooby
Find all complex z = (x,y) such that [tex]z^2 + z + 1 = 0[/tex]

I conclude that there is no solution set because for the real component to be 0 one must be able to solve [tex] x^2 + x + 1 = 0 [/tex] and such a solution does not exist in the reals.

Am I correct or did I mess up in my algebra some where resulting in the quadratic above?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A polynomial of degree [itex]n[/itex] ([itex]\ge 1[/itex]) always has exactly [itex]n[/itex] roots over the complex numbers.

Do you remember something about a formula that gives solutions to quadratic equations (a "quadratic formula," perhaps?)? :biggrin:

Yes, however, since x is the real component, is a complex root for x a valid answer?

if z=x+i*y is a root then

(x+i*y)^2+(x+i*y)+1=0

the real part of the left hand side is x^2-y^2+x+1, not x^2+x+1 (I think that's what you're saying?)

correct, however, since we are finding solutions for 0, the complex value is zero only when y = 0 thus the -y^2 drops off the real portion.

or am I incorrect in doing that?

wooby said:
correct, however, since we are finding solutions for 0, the complex value is zero only when y = 0 thus the -y^2 drops off the real portion.

No, y does not have to be zero.

(x+i*y)^2+(x+i*y)+1=(x^2-y^2+x+1)+i*(2*x*y+y)

If x+i*y is a zero, this gives two equations:

2*x*y+y=0
x^2-y^2+x+1=0

y does not have to be zero for there to be a solution. Take x=-1/2, etc.

(setting real and imaginary parts to zero to try to find a solution here is not ideal at all, you have the quadratic formula right? You also know the fundamental theorem of algebra? Maybe not, it's what Data mentioned- a poly of degree n will have n complex roots, counting multiplicities)

Yes, you are incorrect in doing that. The imaginary part of the LHS (in shmoe's scheme) is [itex]2xy + y[/itex], so it depends on x too. You can solve the simultaneous equations

[tex]\{x^2-y^2+x+1 = 0, 2xy + y =0\}[/tex]

and they should give you the same solution set as the quadratic formula (for [itex]z=x+iy[/itex]).

Edit: Since this seems like it might be the source of your confusion, I will note that you should definitely only accept REAL solutions for [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] here (it doesn't make any difference for [itex]z[/itex], you will still have only at most two solutions for that. But you assume that [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are real here). You will still find two solutions for [itex]z[/itex] (or one solution representing a root with multiplicity 2).

Last edited:
wooby said:

"Finding solutions for 0"? y is the imaginary part of the root, z, and that is definitely NOT 0. It is both real and imaginary parts of the entire
(x^2-y^2+x+1) + i(2xy+ y) that must be 0. That is, you must have
x^2- y^2+ x+ 1= 0 and 2xy+ y= 0. Yes, the latter can be factored as
y(2x+ 1)= 0 so either y= 0, in which case we must have x^2+ x+ 1= 0 which has no real roots, or2x+1= 0 so x= -1/2, in which case we must have 1/4- y^2- 1/2+ 1= 3/4- y^2= 0 so [itex]y= \pm\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]: the roots are itex]z= -\frac{1}{2}\pm\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex].

Of course, as Data originally pointed out, you could just use the quadratic formula:
[tex]z= \frac{-1\pm\sqrt{1- 4}}{2}= \frac{-1\pm\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

Thanks everyone.

I can't believe I missed such an obvious solution to the I am z portion.

HallsofIvy, should you have a -3 under the radical in your last line?

What is the importance of verifying my conclusion?

Verifying your conclusion is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of your research. It allows you to have confidence in your findings and strengthens the credibility of your work.

How can I determine if my conclusion is supported by evidence?

To determine if your conclusion is supported by evidence, you should carefully analyze and evaluate the data you have collected. This includes examining the quality and quantity of your data, as well as considering alternative explanations for your findings.

What should I do if my conclusion does not align with my hypothesis?

If your conclusion does not align with your hypothesis, it is important to reassess your research methods and data analysis. You may need to revise your hypothesis or consider other factors that could have influenced your results.

What is the role of peer review in evaluating my conclusion?

Peer review is a critical step in the scientific process that involves having experts in your field review and provide feedback on your research. This helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of your conclusion.

How can I communicate my conclusion effectively to others?

To effectively communicate your conclusion to others, it is important to clearly and concisely explain your research methods, findings, and how your conclusion was reached. It is also important to acknowledge any limitations or potential implications of your conclusion.