Finding the Position of a Particle at the Instant it Changes Direction

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving along the x axis with its position described by the equation x = 1.90 + 3.10t - 4.15 t2. To determine its position at the instant it changes direction, one can take the derivative of the position equation to find the velocity equation, and then set the velocity to 0 to solve for the t value. This t value can then be plugged back into the position equation to find the position at the instant of direction change.
bearhug
A particle moves along the x axis. Its position is given by the equation x = 1.90 + 3.10t - 4.15 t2 with x in meters and t in seconds. Determine its position at the instant it changes direction.

When I'm reading this problem I picture a parabola and the instant the particle changes direction is at the maximum. However I'm not sure that is right and am having trouble figuring out how to use the quadratic equation to find the position. I was thinking that when the position changes it goes from positive to negative is that right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
have you done basic calculus? If you had you could take the derivative of your position equation and get an equation for velocity. When it changes direction the velocity will be 0. From there you can get a t value to plug back into the position equation.

Oh yeah I didn't even consider that thanks for pointing that out.

1. What is a "change in direction" on the x-axis?

A change in direction on the x-axis refers to a shift or rotation of the plotted data points on a graph along the horizontal axis. This can occur when the independent variable, or x-axis, is manipulated or changed.

2. How is a change in direction on the x-axis represented on a graph?

A change in direction on the x-axis is represented by a change in the slope of the plotted data points. If the slope of the line changes from positive to negative or vice versa, it indicates a change in the direction of the data on the x-axis.

3. What causes a change in direction on the x-axis?

A change in direction on the x-axis can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a change in the independent variable, a shift in the data points, or a change in the relationship between the variables being plotted.

4. Can a change in direction on the x-axis affect the overall trend of the data?

Yes, a change in direction on the x-axis can greatly impact the overall trend of the data. It can alter the relationship between the variables and change the interpretation of the results.

5. How do you analyze a change in direction on the x-axis?

To analyze a change in direction on the x-axis, you should examine the slope of the plotted data points, determine the cause of the change, and consider how it impacts the overall trend of the data. You can also use mathematical methods, such as regression analysis, to further analyze the change in direction.