Design and Implement USB-Based AM Radio Receiver

In summary, the conversation was about a project in one of the person's classes to interface a designed circuit with a computer through a USB port. The project involved building a basic software defined radio that could receive AM signals and demodulate them through software. The person was wondering if this project could be completed in a 2-3 month period and mentioned their limited experience in building circuits in the 1MHz region. They also discussed the possibility of using an existing AM radio or building one themselves. The conversation also touched on the person's limited options for purchasing ADCs and the need for an anti-alias filter. They also mentioned being in the middle of midterms and not having much time to respond. The other person suggested looking for a
abdo375
I have a project in one of my classes, the aim of the project is to interface a circuit which you will design with a computer through a USB port, I read a lot about software defined radio's and I was thinking of building a very basic one which will receive AM signals and then convert them through an A/D to the computer where I well preform the demodulation through software that I've written.
I was hoping to know if this project could be achieved through a 2-3 Month period, I've had and still having a typical EE course load, Although I haven't taken any Antenna classes yet or any DSP.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like a fun project. As long as you have the USB part covered, the rest of the project is very practical for a 2-3 month period. Do you have experience building analog circuits in the 1MHz region? Or will you be using the front end of an existing AM radio? It might be quickest to get a good AM radio kit, and just substitute your ADC for the stuff after the first down-conversion stage (or even before the first mix). What S/H and ADC are you planning on using? What will be the characteristics of your anti-alias filter?

Thank you for your response berkeman and sorry it toke me so long to get back to you, but it's just because I'm in the middle of my midterms and I don't log-on much these days
anyways;

1-I've got the USB part covered (as a matter of fact that the only part I've got completely covered).

2-I pretty much have zero experience building 1Mhz frequency circuits.

3-A friend of mine told me to just go with an existing AM radio, but I'm thinking of building it my self to get the experience, anyway, I'm still considering the options, I borrowed from the library "Telecommunication Circuit Design Second Edition by Patrick D. van der Puije" which has some circuits of the RF part of the AM demodulator, so do you think that I should do it my self or just get the radio.

by the way this may sound strange to you but here in Egypt we don't have Radio kits (although I'll be looking for one), so I'll probably have to buy a usual one and get the antenna part from it, again about the ADC I don't have the luxury to purchase any kind of ADC I want, I'm limited by the one's found in stock, so after my midterm I'll go see what they have, which will probably be in the low frequency range, so I'll probably have to build a circuit to step down the frequency (I know this violates the term SDR) and then consider the anti-aliasing filter.

again thank you for your time, and I hope I get the time to replay soon.

PS: sorry for any grammatical or spelling errors but it's 6 AM in here and I'm kinda sleepy.

Last edited:
I would think that a radio kit would be something you would be able to find with google easy enough.

If your selection of ADCs is limited then you might be constrained to digitizing the already demodulated audio.

Here's a source of electronics kits that you can order:

http://www.transeltech.com/kits/kits1.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a USB-Based AM Radio Receiver?

A USB-Based AM Radio Receiver is a device that can receive and decode AM radio signals through a USB connection. It allows you to listen to AM radio stations on your computer or other electronic devices.

2. How does a USB-Based AM Radio Receiver work?

The receiver works by converting the AM radio signal into a digital format that can be transmitted through a USB connection. It uses a tuner to select the desired frequency and then decodes the signal to produce audio output.

3. What are the advantages of a USB-Based AM Radio Receiver?

One of the main advantages is the convenience and portability it offers. It eliminates the need for a separate AM radio device and allows you to listen to AM radio stations on your computer or other electronic devices. It also provides better sound quality and reception compared to traditional AM radios.

4. How do you design and implement a USB-Based AM Radio Receiver?

The design process involves selecting the necessary components, such as a tuner, amplifier, and USB interface, and connecting them in a specific circuit. The implementation process involves programming the microcontroller to control the tuner and demodulate the AM signal. Testing and troubleshooting are also essential steps in the design and implementation process.

5. Can a USB-Based AM Radio Receiver receive FM radio signals?

No, a USB-Based AM Radio Receiver is designed specifically for AM radio signals and cannot receive FM signals. For FM radio reception, a separate FM receiver or a device that supports both AM and FM is required.