Laws you would like enacted, repealed or changed

• News
  • Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, SticksandStones would like to see the following laws enacted, repealed, or changed: -Lower the drinking age to 18-Legalize marijuana-Tax gasoline-End both of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq-Begin wide-spread reform to stop global warming, including heavy taxes on CO2 emissions by factories-Tax goods imported from countries with little/no worker rights in such a way that it would be cheaper to produce them in the US or at least countries that respect their workers-Make lobbying by corporations equivalent to treason-Criminalize discrimination based on sexual orientation-Dispose of 50% or more
Jamin2112 said:
I'd like to know where your morals come from.

Sorry, when I said "truly", I was thinking of "universally accepted as".

Physics news on Phys.org
What does everyone think about the Patriot Act that was passed? I am curious to know your responses.

Any law that stops me from legally killing another person who annoys me, and no, I'm not joking.

@mgb_phys: That, or something about misogyny and impracticality in a modern world. You know, one or the other. :smile:

nismaratwork said:
Any law that stops me from legally killing another person who annoys me, and no, I'm not joking.
Yeah, this makes me think of duels in history. The government should have paperwork you can sign to legally duel with someone, if the person agrees also. (just jokin') :tongue2:

PS I'll make sure not to annoy you...

FtlIsAwesome said:
Yeah, this makes me think of duels in history. The government should have paperwork you can sign to legally duel with someone, if the person agrees also. (just jokin') :tongue2:

PS I'll make sure not to annoy you...

Heh... I'm kidding... probably... :wink:

It is legal to challenge someone to a paintball match. :biggrin:
"Come see the titanic battle between FtlIsAwesome and TheGuyWhoSeriouslyAnnoysFtlIsAwesome! FtlIsAwesome will surely turn his opponent into dead meat!"
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
>"mwahahaha" maniacal laugh<:biggrin:

:rofl:

Now paintball is TRULY sadistic! :wink:

"The PF Paintball War"
PFers gather today to face off in a massive paintball match. The members are split into two teams. Some of the mentors act as referees while others join the teams. This is the one-time chance to wipe those smug grins off those jerks that manage to slide under the guidelines.

Rules:
1. Firing during time-out results in infractions.
2. ...

>whistle blows<

This is getting off-topic... :biggrin:

lisab said:
:tongue2:

Oh the carnage! The humanity! The bright primary colors! :wink:

<h2>1. What is the process for enacting a new law?</h2><p>The process for enacting a new law typically involves several steps. First, a bill is introduced in either the House of Representatives or the Senate. The bill then goes through a series of committee hearings and revisions before being voted on by the full chamber. If the bill passes in one chamber, it then goes to the other chamber for consideration. If both chambers pass the bill, it is sent to the President for approval.</p><h2>2. How can a law be repealed?</h2><p>A law can be repealed through a similar process to enacting a new law. A bill must be introduced and passed by both chambers of Congress, and then signed by the President. However, in some cases, a law can also be repealed through a process called "judicial review," where the Supreme Court declares a law to be unconstitutional.</p><h2>3. Can a law be changed after it has been enacted?</h2><p>Yes, a law can be changed after it has been enacted. This is typically done through the amendment process, where a new bill is introduced and passed by both chambers of Congress, and then signed by the President. Alternatively, the Supreme Court can also interpret a law in a different way, effectively changing its meaning.</p><h2>4. How do laws differ between states?</h2><p>Laws can differ between states because each state has its own legislative body that is responsible for creating and passing laws. This means that while some laws may be similar across states, there can also be significant differences. Additionally, states have the power to create laws that are specific to their own needs and circumstances.</p><h2>5. Can citizens propose new laws?</h2><p>Yes, citizens can propose new laws through a process called "ballot initiatives." This involves collecting a certain number of signatures on a petition to get a proposed law on the ballot for a public vote. However, not all states allow for ballot initiatives, and the process can vary between states.</p>

1. What is the process for enacting a new law?

The process for enacting a new law typically involves several steps. First, a bill is introduced in either the House of Representatives or the Senate. The bill then goes through a series of committee hearings and revisions before being voted on by the full chamber. If the bill passes in one chamber, it then goes to the other chamber for consideration. If both chambers pass the bill, it is sent to the President for approval.

2. How can a law be repealed?

A law can be repealed through a similar process to enacting a new law. A bill must be introduced and passed by both chambers of Congress, and then signed by the President. However, in some cases, a law can also be repealed through a process called "judicial review," where the Supreme Court declares a law to be unconstitutional.

3. Can a law be changed after it has been enacted?

Yes, a law can be changed after it has been enacted. This is typically done through the amendment process, where a new bill is introduced and passed by both chambers of Congress, and then signed by the President. Alternatively, the Supreme Court can also interpret a law in a different way, effectively changing its meaning.

4. How do laws differ between states?

Laws can differ between states because each state has its own legislative body that is responsible for creating and passing laws. This means that while some laws may be similar across states, there can also be significant differences. Additionally, states have the power to create laws that are specific to their own needs and circumstances.

5. Can citizens propose new laws?

Yes, citizens can propose new laws through a process called "ballot initiatives." This involves collecting a certain number of signatures on a petition to get a proposed law on the ballot for a public vote. However, not all states allow for ballot initiatives, and the process can vary between states.