Solve (A+Bh)/(2B + A/h)=X to Find A

• Thread starter strokebow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rearrange
In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for help to rearrange an equation to find a variable, and others offering hints and tips on how to solve the equation without giving away the answer. The steps to solving the equation involve combining fractions, multiplying both sides by a common denominator, grouping like terms, and isolating the desired variable. The conversation also mentions the use of the quadratic formula and completing the square to solve quadratic equations.
strokebow
Hey,

I've spent ageees trying this . . .

Re-arrange to find A:

(A + Bh) / (2B + A/h) = X

* / indicates division

I would post my attempts although it would take me a while to do s and it probably wouldn't give anyone any insight.

I'd much appreciate it if someone could re-arrange that to for me to find A please.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try? At least post an attempt at a final answer so we can maybe get an idea of what you're doing wrong. I could give you the answer, but that doesn't help you learn how to do it for next time. The steps to solving this are cross-multiplying, expanding, grouping like terms, and then isolating A. Which part do you think is causing you the most difficulty?

What did you do after you multiplied both sides by (2B+A/h)?

strokebow said:
Hey,

I've spent ageees trying this . . .

Re-arrange to find A:

(A + Bh) / (2B + A/h) = X

* / indicates division

I would post my attempts although it would take me a while to do s and it probably wouldn't give anyone any insight.

I'd much appreciate it if someone could re-arrange that to for me to find A please.

Thanks

We're not going to simply give you the answer! What have you tried? If I were solving this, I'd make the 1/h in the denominator go first, then multiply the whole equation by the denominator of the LHS...

I won't give you the answer (you know we won't), but I'll give you hints for the first few steps.

Get rid of the fraction on the left by multiplying both the left and right hand sides by the denominator of the fraction.

Multiply out the RHS (right hand side). That is, distribute X into the two terms in the parenthesis.

Now you want to gather up terms that have the A in them...

Do those steps here so we can see how you do. If you get that far, you'll probably see the final steps on your own, but we can help more at that point if you need it.

Holy Smokes! Homework Helper pile on! :biggrin:

Some Help

The guidelines of the help section specifically state that people are not supposed to just answer questions but rather give help instead. So, here is some help.

Step1: Combine 2B + A/h into a single fraction.
Step2: Divide A + Bh by the fraction you just obtained. (remember A + Bh can be written as (A + Bh)/1, and that to divide a fraction by a fraction you can flip the bottom and multiply.
Step3: This fraction answer is = to X
Step4: Multiply both sides by the entire quantity of the denominator.
Step5: Bring everything with an A to one side of the equation and everything else to the other side.
Step6: Factor out the A on the one side.
Step7: Divide both sides by the remaining quantity you just separated the A from, and you have your answer.

Good Luck.

Sorry . . . I meant to say re-arrange for h. I want to isolate h.

Thanks

So, what have you done so far? :smile:

strokebow said:
Sorry . . . I meant to say re-arrange for h. I want to isolate h.

Thanks

Berkeman's advice still works. Replace A in the third step with h.

yeah but the answer comes out as a quadratic

son of a gun, so it does.

I assume you had something like
A + Bh = 2Bx + AX/h
and you multiplied everything on both sides to get rid of h in the denominator.

[tex]Ah + Bh^2 = 2BXh + AX [/tex]
And, you're solving for h.

No problem... How would you solve this equation for h:
4h^2 + 3h - 17 = 0?

Solve this equation the same way: (3m)h^2 + (5+w)h + (r-t) = 0

Now, can you put the equation you had with h^2 into the form of a quadratic equation and solve it?

There's also another method called "complete the square" that would work. In fact, that method is used to derive the quadratic formula, so the quadratic formula is, more or less, a short-cut (sort of). Then again, knowing both methods, sometimes the quadratic formula works out much more quickly, and sometimes, completing the square works out much more quickly. They're both good tools to have in your arsenal of attacking problems.

strokebow said:
yeah but the answer comes out as a quadratic

So, do you know how to use the quadratic formula to solve a quadratic equation?

Thanks ppl!

Much appreciated. I can do it from here

thanks

1. What is the purpose of solving (A+Bh)/(2B + A/h)=X to find A?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the value of A, which is a variable in the equation. This can be useful in various scientific and mathematical applications where A is an unknown quantity that needs to be determined.

2. What are the steps involved in solving (A+Bh)/(2B + A/h)=X to find A?

The steps involved in solving this equation include simplifying the equation, isolating the variable A, and then solving for A. This may involve using algebraic manipulations such as distributing, combining like terms, and solving for a single variable.

3. Can (A+Bh)/(2B + A/h)=X be solved without knowing the values of B, h, and X?

No, in order to solve this equation, the values of B, h, and X must be known. These values are necessary for performing the algebraic manipulations required to isolate and solve for the variable A.

4. How can the solution to (A+Bh)/(2B + A/h)=X be verified?

The solution can be verified by plugging the value of A back into the original equation and checking if the resulting expression is equal to X. This can also be done by graphing the equation and checking if the solution lies on the graph.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving (A+Bh)/(2B + A/h)=X to find A?

This type of equation can be used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to calculate the final velocity of an object after a certain amount of time, determine the optimal amount of ingredients for a recipe, or calculate the amount of interest earned on a loan.