Crane Lifting 186 kg Crate: Torque Calculation

Your name] In summary, the problem involves a crane lifting a 186-kg crate with an acceleration of 2.0 m/s^2 using a solid cylindrical pulley and a hollow cylindrical drum. The mass of the pulley is 130 kg and the mass of the drum is 150 kg with a radius of 0.76 m. The engine applies a counterclockwise torque to the drum to wind up the cable, and the task is to find the magnitude of this torque. After considering the moment of inertia and the total mass and radius of the system, the correct calculation for the torque is 0.613 N*m.
PhyzicsOfHockey

Homework Statement

The crane shown in the drawing is lifting a 186-kg crate upward with an acceleration of 2.0 m/s2. The cable from the crate passes over a solid cylindrical pulley at the top of the boom. The pulley has a mass of 130 kg. The cable is then wound onto a hollow cylindrical drum that is mounted on the deck of the crane. The mass of the drum is 150 kg, and its radius is 0.76 m. The engine applies a counterclockwise torque to the drum in order to wind up the cable. What is the magnitude of this torque? Ignore the mass of the cable.

Homework Equations

torque= I*angular acceleration
I= mr^2
angular accel= accel/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything that i know

angular accel= 2/.76 =2.6316 rad/s^2
I=150*.76^2= 86.64
torque= 86.64*2.6316= 228 N*m

But this answer is wrong. I tried negitive and that's wrong. What am I doing wrong! lol.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. After reviewing your attempt at a solution, it seems that you have the correct equations and concepts in mind, but there are a few small errors in your calculations.

First, for the moment of inertia (I), you need to consider the mass of the pulley (130 kg) as well. So the correct calculation would be I = (150 + 130) * 0.76^2 = 191.52 kg*m^2.

Secondly, for the angular acceleration, you need to use the total mass of the system (186 kg + 130 kg + 150 kg = 466 kg) and divide by the total radius (0.76 m). So the correct calculation would be angular accel = 2 / (466 / 0.76) = 0.0032 rad/s^2.

Finally, using the correct values in the torque equation, we get torque = 191.52 * 0.0032 = 0.613 N*m. This is the magnitude of the torque being applied by the engine to the drum in order to lift the crate.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and leads you to the correct answer. Keep up the good work in your science studies!

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze all of the given information and equations in order to determine the correct solution. In this case, the torque calculation should take into account the torque from both the drum and the pulley, as both are involved in the lifting process.

The torque from the pulley can be calculated using the equation torque = radius * force. In this case, the force is equal to the weight of the crate (186 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 1822.8 N), and the radius is equal to half the diameter of the pulley (0.38 m). Therefore, the torque from the pulley is 691.94 N*m.

The torque from the drum can be calculated using the equation torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration. The moment of inertia for a hollow cylinder is equal to 1/2 * mass * radius^2, so in this case it is equal to 1/2 * 150 kg * (0.76 m)^2 = 57.3 kg*m^2. The angular acceleration is still 2.6316 rad/s^2. Therefore, the torque from the drum is 150.5 N*m.

To find the total torque, we can add the torques from the pulley and the drum together: 691.94 N*m + 150.5 N*m = 842.44 N*m. Therefore, the magnitude of the torque applied by the engine to lift the crate is 842.44 N*m.

1. What is torque and why is it important in crane lifting?

Torque is a measure of the force required to rotate an object around its axis. In the context of crane lifting, torque is important because it determines the amount of force needed to lift and move a heavy object, such as the 186 kg crate. Without proper torque calculations, the crane may not be able to safely lift the load or could potentially tip over.

2. How do you calculate torque for a crane lifting a 186 kg crate?

To calculate the torque required for lifting a 186 kg crate, you will need to know the weight of the crate, the distance from the crane's pivot point to the center of gravity of the crate, and the angle at which the crane will be lifting the crate. You can then use the formula torque = force x distance x sin(angle) to calculate the required torque.

3. What other factors besides torque should be considered when lifting a heavy crate with a crane?

In addition to torque, other important factors to consider when lifting a heavy crate with a crane include the crane's weight capacity, the length and strength of the crane's boom, the stability of the ground under the crane, and any potential obstacles or hazards in the surrounding area. It is also important to have skilled and trained personnel operating the crane to ensure safe lifting practices.

4. How can you determine the appropriate crane size and torque for lifting a 186 kg crate?

The appropriate crane size and torque for lifting a 186 kg crate will depend on various factors such as the weight and dimensions of the crate, the distance it needs to be lifted, and the angle at which it will be lifted. It is best to consult with a professional engineer or crane operator to determine the specific crane size and torque needed for the job.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when lifting a heavy crate with a crane?

Safety should always be the top priority when lifting a heavy crate with a crane. Some important safety precautions to take include ensuring the crane is on stable ground, using rigging equipment that is in good condition, having a clear and organized lifting plan, and having trained personnel operating the crane. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the crane and its components to prevent any accidents or equipment failures.