Flywheel Troubles: Designing an Energy Storage System for a Small Buggy

• Thread starter Yakatyak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flywheel
In summary, the problem the speaker is having is trying to determine the torque exerted by a flywheel on the buggy's driving wheels.
Yakatyak
Am having some trouble with a project at the moment and wondered if anyone could help.

Essentailly the project was to design an energy storage system to propel a small buggy. We opted for a flywheel, the buggy wheels and hence the flywheel are to be accelerated on a rolling road and then the buggy is to be released on the floor.

The problem I am having is try to work out the torque exerted by the flywheel through the wheels onto the ground, and then hence work out a formula that can tell me whether the buggy will "wheelie" , wheelspin or propell itself forward.

Any help would be much apreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are talking about a small toy buggy car, make sure the wheels are rubber.this is sure to increase the friction, so you can't prevent wheelslip. An alternate would be to make your buggy heavier, but that wouldn't propel it very far...

If you want to take this that seriously you are going to need to lay out a design that you can draw dimensions from and then work gear ratios. To make this a conceptual head problem would cause me problems for sure.

I understand most of the concepts and idears and can deduce a lot of things that are required. However given a certain set of constants, friction (muR) , flywheel angular velocity , buggy mass etc etc, I can not work out the torque that the flywheel exerts on the driving wheels of the buggy. I understand that the torque must be less than the wheel radius * friction, for it to not wheelspin, but i just can not seem to work out the torque applied by the flywheel.

It appears to me so far that the flywheel only exerts a torque when it is loaded and so should exert a torque equal and opposite to the friction applied to the driving wheels, is this correct, I'm not sure.

Do you have a formula for inertia?

yeah, 1/2 MR^2 , as it is a solid cylinder, we chose this as it would be far simpler to balance than a flywheel with more mass distributed around the outer part of the wheel.

A flywheel for a buggy ? Doubt anybody tried that before. You need it to be heavy to store anough energy, you need it to spin while the buggy is moving, you need changing gears for different rpm... To me at least that all sounds quite complex. Unless of course it's leterally just a small buggy that has to go streight just for a bit and stop and that's it so it's simpler than that and you don't really need different gears.

May I perhaps suggest the idea of a torsion spring, like those toys where you turn a key and it runs. If you make the buggy load the spring itself it's still a serious project anyway, and also more likely to work or work better I think.

Last edited:

1. What is a flywheel?

A flywheel is a mechanical device used to store rotational energy. It consists of a heavy spinning wheel that stores energy in the form of kinetic energy.

2. Why is an energy storage system important for a small buggy?

An energy storage system is important for a small buggy because it allows the buggy to store excess energy and use it when needed. This can improve the overall efficiency and performance of the buggy.

3. What are some common issues that can arise in flywheel systems?

Some common issues that can arise in flywheel systems include imbalance, friction, bearing failure, and energy dissipation. These issues can lead to decreased performance and potential failure of the system.

4. How do you design an energy storage system using flywheels for a small buggy?

The design of an energy storage system using flywheels for a small buggy involves determining the required energy storage capacity, selecting the appropriate flywheel size and material, and ensuring proper balancing and mounting of the flywheel. It is also important to consider the speed and torque requirements of the buggy and design the system accordingly.

5. What are some advantages of using flywheels in energy storage systems?

Some advantages of using flywheels in energy storage systems include high energy density, fast response time, and long lifespan. Flywheels also do not degrade over time, making them a reliable and sustainable option for energy storage. Additionally, flywheel systems can be easily integrated into existing systems and can support multiple charging and discharging cycles without significant loss of energy.