Is it Time for the US Government to Ban Gun Ownership?

• Thread starter ukmicky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun Usa
In summary: After all, it is an item whose only use is to do harm. Rather than gun control, comedian Chris Rock suggests instead: "No, I think we need some bullet control. I think every bullet should cost five thousand dollars. Five thousand dollars for a bullet. Know why? Cos if a bullet cost five thousand dollars, there'd be no more innocent by-standers..."

Should the public ownership of guns be prohibited in the US

• YES

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • NO

Votes: 52 63.4%

• Total voters
ukmicky
We've all seen the news reports about the virginia tech , isn't about time that the US Government bit the bullet and started protecting its citizens by banning the general public from owning guns or at least make it law that all guns must be stored at registered gun clubs

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately it won't prevent criminals and crazies from getting guns. It will only prevent normal people from having guns. Guns are too widespread in the US.

I do not own a gun.

I just don't understand the pros that can come out of citizens being allowed to own guns. To me, it can only spell disaster, as has been shown many times! Perhaps the people voting "no" in this poll can enlighten me on the reasons they think that the general public should be allowed to own guns.

While laws restricting gun ownership may protect law-abiding people from accidental shootings, I agree with Evo that it's not going to stop the criminals from finding a source and using them for premeditated murder, or from finding some other way of killing people. If this person couldn't get a gun, there's nothing to say he wouldn't have appeared with a bomb or plowed down people on the sidewalk with his car, etc. It's tragic, but there are already gun laws that would prevent him from legally owning a gun, and guns are already prohibited from college campuses. That didn't stop him. Criminals, by definition, don't follow the law.

It doesn't matter if they are prohibited or not, criminals will always be able to get them. Thinking banning them will solve the problem is about as delusional as the Canadian government thinking the gun registration would solve any problems (go figure that the criminals did not register their firearms :P). Even if guns were eliminated there are always other ways to kill such an bombs which have the potential to cause even more death. That being said I do come from an area where nearly everyone owns guns...no one has ever been hurt or killed because people do not use them irresponsibly. That being said the Virgina Tech shooting is a terribly tragedy, and my heart goes out to the victims and their families. I just don't think banning guns would solve the problem.

Admittedly, such a ban may not have stopped this incident, but surely the fact that guns are legal means they are a lot easier for people to get their hands on.

Perhaps the question shouldn't be "why should people be banned from owning guns," but should rather be " why should a member of the public be allowed to own a gun." Personally, I see absolutely no reason why a person would need to own a gun, and why they should be allowed to! After all, it is an item whose only use is to do harm.

Rather than gun control, comedian Chris Rock suggests instead:
"No, I think we need some bullet control. I think every bullet should cost five thousand dollars. Five thousand dollars for a bullet. Know why? Cos if a bullet cost five thousand dollars, there'd be no more innocent by-standers..."

scorpa said:
It doesn't matter if they are prohibited or not, criminals will always be able to get them. Thinking banning them will solve the problem is about as delusional as the Canadian government thinking the gun registration would solve any problems (go figure that the criminals did not register their firearms :P). Even if guns were eliminated there are always other ways to kill such an bombs which have the potential to cause even more death. That being said I do come from an area where nearly everyone owns guns...no one has ever been hurt or killed because people do not use them irresponsibly. That being said the Virgina Tech shooting is a terribly tragedy, and my heart goes out to the victims and their families. I just don't think banning guns would solve the problem.

The gun registry is good!

They interviewed police officers in Toronto about it and they liked it. Why? Just like you said, crimininals don't register their guns. Hence, you can take them away without any difficulty at all! When you make a gang bust, you can take their guns. Before you couldn't take away the guns, but soon we will have that problem again. Police officers, especially from Toronto, definitely don't feel comfortable not being able to take guns away from criminals.

The only problem I see with the gun registry is for people living in the north where hunting is literally a way of life and such.

Evo said:
Unfortunately it won't prevent criminals and crazies from getting guns. It will only prevent normal people from having guns. Guns are too widespread in the US.

I do not own a gun.

Hi EVO

Why would a normal citizen require a gun. You may say protection against the crazies but the longer the ban was in force the less guns their will be in circulation for the crazies to get. Their are also non lethal means of stopping someone without shooting them with a bullet.

Also i would say a lot of the crazy people who go out and kill random people don't plan there actions weeks in advance ,they don't go out and buy a gun explicitly to shoot people , but have rather procured them through legal means for legal purposes when their minds were in better order.

Last edited:
cristo said:
I just don't understand the pros that can come out of citizens being allowed to own guns. To me, it can only spell disaster, as has been shown many times! Perhaps the people voting "no" in this poll can enlighten me on the reasons they think that the general public should be allowed to own guns.

Can you name 1 time it has lead to disaster? I can easily name 1 time it hasn't.
Switzerland
While being the most heavily armed country in the entire world, http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/statistics/statistics35.htm than England (and Wales), United States, Australia, Canada, Netherlands, Scotland, and Sweden.

Maybe the Swiss are just very relaxed people, but there doesn't seem to be any correlation between lots of guns and lots of crime.

Crime and stats aside, how am I supposed to defend myself without a gun? I'm 5'8", I'm only about 140lb, I'm not a black belt, and I don't have magic powers. If you take away my gun, I'm basically left to be killed by any thug who feels like breaking into my house. Call the cops you say? It takes 5 minutes to kill me. It takes 40 minutes for the police to show up. I would say do the math but there is no math, only a dead me when police show up 35 minutes too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
cristo said:
Personally, I see absolutely no reason why a person would need to own a gun, and why they should be allowed to! After all, it is an item whose only use is to do harm.

Ever spend any time on a farm? Coyotes, foxes...ect have a habit of trying to get into chicken coops, trying to take down livestock and so on. Are you going to just sit idly by and let them destroy your source of income? Personally I would want to shoot it.

A cow somehow gets injured, say it is attacked by an animal but you get there and the predator runs off. The cow is screaming in agony and there is no way it can be saved. Going to just leave it there in excruciating pain or do the humane thing and shoot it? Hard thing to do but sometimes there is no choice.

I think cops should be able to have guns, but I'm not sure if you were implying that they should or shouldn't so I won't argue that point. I'm assuming you just mean the average person.

Guns are here to protect you from the people that wish to take them away.

JasonRox said:
The gun registry is good!

They interviewed police officers in Toronto about it and they liked it. Why? Just like you said, crimininals don't register their guns. Hence, you can take them away without any difficulty at all! When you make a gang bust, you can take their guns. Before you couldn't take away the guns, but soon we will have that problem again. Police officers, especially from Toronto, definitely don't feel comfortable not being able to take guns away from criminals.

The only problem I see with the gun registry is for people living in the north where hunting is literally a way of life and such.

Meanwhile it costs other gun owners, the good law abiding ones a fortune to register them, not to mention all the of crap and paper work you have to go through to actually complete the process. However I do see where you are coming from. But I think gun registry or not, if you are a criminal the police should not have to worry about taking your gun away.

scorpa said:
Personally I would want to shoot it.
You don't need a deadly weapon to have an animal scared.

ShawnD said:
Maybe the Swiss are just very relaxed people,
Well, perhaps the Swiss are relaxed, and thus an anomaly.

but there doesn't seem to be any correlation between lots of guns and lots of crime.

Well, I am suggesting a correlation between lots of guns and lots of gun related crime to which there is obviously a correlation!

Crime and stats aside, how am I supposed to defend myself without a gun? I'm 5'8", I'm only about 140lb, I'm not a black belt, and I don't have magic powers. If you take away my gun, I'm basically left to be killed by any thug who feels like breaking into my house.

But I would suggest that you're more likely to be shot if you're going to shoot at him! If you feel you need to own a gun to be protected, then fair enough. I'm just saying that it's something I would never dream of doing.

Evo said:
Unfortunately it won't prevent criminals and crazies from getting guns.
You sure have heard this story of the kid using his father's gun, killing another kid in kinder garden...

ukmicky said:
We've all seen the news reports about the virginia tech

I should also add that mass shootings seem to pop up in places where there are very few guns. Laws are already in place saying you cannot carry a gun on government property in the US, but people seem to forget these laws when they go on a rampage. School shootings? Can't happen, that's a gun-free zone. Post office shooting? Again, that's a gun-free zone so it shouldn't have happened. Then you look at places with assloads of guns such as gun stores, gun conventions, NRA meetings (they probably give you a gun at the door just for photos), and anything relating to farm people (tractor equipment shows, cattle auction, etc), and these mass murders never happen.

If you were to go on a rampage, would you kill people at the post office where nobody can legally fight back, or do you shoot people who are armed and ready to kill you, such as a gun show?

humanino said:
You don't need a deadly weapon to have an animal scared.

Depends on the animal, if it is starving or diseased its not exactly in a reasonable frame of mind. And yes your right you may succeed in scaring it off, but that won't prevent it come coming back at night or when you are gone.

And if you don't want to kill it shoot near it and not at it, now that will scare it :rofl:

I'm not trying to say that everyone needs to have guns because they don't. I'm just trying to argue that they do have their uses. I will admit I am biased, I've never known life without them and from the time I was very young I was properly educated in how to act around them. We were even given a course in school learning about the different types, how to handle and shoot them...ect and none of us turned to be serial killers.

robphy said:
Rather than gun control, comedian Chris Rock suggests instead:
"No, I think we need some bullet control. I think every bullet should cost five thousand dollars. Five thousand dollars for a bullet. Know why? Cos if a bullet cost five thousand dollars, there'd be no more innocent by-standers..."

I remember that, not a bad idea. We've got to change the culture, too, people's attitudes.

humanino said:
You sure have heard this story of the kid using his father's gun, killing another kid in kinder garden...

And that is complete stupidity on the part of the father. By the time I was in kindergarten I knew damn well not to touch or go near any firearm, not that it really mattered because they were always locked in a gun safe, to this day I do now know where that stupid key is lol.

cristo said:
Well, I am suggesting a correlation between lots of guns and lots of gun related crime to which there is obviously a correlation!
That's a BS statistic though. That's like saying being killed by a knife is better than being shot by a gun because it does not include guns. Murder is murder, rape is rape, robbery is robbery. If you want to be safe you'll stick to the areas with lower crime rates, regardless of how those crimes are performed, knife or otherwise. By the same token we should try to reduce crime in any way possible. If that means giving everybody a gun and military training (lol Switzerland), so be it. We already do all kinds of silly things to stop crime, like carry a whistle. Some people even carry pepper spray. They could just as easily use that pepper spray to rob people, but most do not. Guns are really no different.
But I would suggest that you're more likely to be shot if you're going to shoot at him! If you feel you need to own a gun to be protected, then fair enough. I'm just saying that it's something I would never dream of doing.
Guns are not to make a safe situation. They are to make a safer situation. If I try to kill the intruder with a gun then yes there is a chance he will kill me first, but there is also a chance I will kill him first. If I don't have a gun, I have no chance at all. 1 in a million chance of winning is still better than 0 in a million. I won't even include deterrence since that cannot be measured (accurately).

Last edited:
ShawnD said:
Can you name 1 time it has lead to disaster? I can easily name 1 time it hasn't.
Switzerland
While being the most heavily armed country in the entire world, http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/statistics/statistics35.htm than England (and Wales), United States, Australia, Canada, Netherlands, Scotland, and Sweden.

Maybe the Swiss are just very relaxed people, but there doesn't seem to be any correlation between lots of guns and lots of crime.

Crime and stats aside, how am I supposed to defend myself without a gun? I'm 5'8", I'm only about 140lb, I'm not a black belt, and I don't have magic powers. If you take away my gun, I'm basically left to be killed by any thug who feels like breaking into my house. Call the cops you say? It takes 5 minutes to kill me. It takes 40 minutes for the police to show up. I would say do the math but there is no math, only a dead me when police show up 35 minutes too late.
There is no comparison between the Swiss and Americans. Probably the gun laws are about the only thing the societies have in common (bar the typical Human foundations we all have) Its comparing apples and pears. Pro-Gun lobbiest like to site that example, and then attempt to make it *fit* to the USA, but it doesnt.

The second amendment is there to keep the government on its toes, and we know that. The governed populous is armed and ready if a revolution needs to occur.

ShawnD said:

IMO The American Society is getting more and more Masculine (as in the Geert Hofstede sence), examples are such:
It (being the Government) prefer to rattle the saber and go to war before talking.
It is an extremely competitive society who people are typically ambitious and feel the need for material possessions.
Examples like this show that people in general prefer to fight and cause violence than talk about issues.

The Swiss society isn't based on the same principles and it doesn't have the same attributes of the America society. So when 1 thing may work for them, it doesn't mean it will work for an-other.

This was a extreme case, but it is becoming predictable, every few months we see some Kid go bizzerk and start killing people in school or Uni. When it starts happening periodically you have to start thinking their is a problem that is allowing these things to happen, and it isn't just a strange one off...

Last edited:
Anttech said:
There is no comparison between the Swiss and Americans. Probably the gun laws are about the only thing the societies have in common (bar the typical Human foundations we all have) Its comparing apples and pears. Pro-Gun lobbiest like to site that example, and then attempt to make it *fit* to the USA, but it doesnt.

Fine I'll admit the US is a lot different from every other country on earth, but how could Switzerland also be very different from those other countries listed? Surely the Swiss are not some unique race of people who are inherently peaceful while the rest of the world is filled with savages who kill each other the first chance they get.

If you are implying that the Swiss responsible enough to handle automatic rifles while Americans are a bunch of slack jawed yokels, you've just insulted 300 million people.

No I am not saying that, but the American Society is very much more masculine than that of the Swiss, in fact anywhere in Europe.

Point in case, is the *you are a bunch of F*gs, blah blah blah* you heard after the Iran crises for the Brits not going in with violence.

The point is this *problem* keeps on happening, and every few months we all go, *that is terrible* and it happens again and we go again *gosh that is terrible* when will the point be when The Society with this evil problem actually does something about it?

ShawnD said:
I should also add that mass shootings seem to pop up in places where there are very few guns. Laws are already in place saying you cannot carry a gun on government property in the US, but people seem to forget these laws when they go on a rampage. School shootings? Can't happen, that's a gun-free zone. Post office shooting? Again, that's a gun-free zone so it shouldn't have happened.
But how many of them shootings which have occurred in places where its illegal to enter with a gun would have taken place if the persons right to own the gun in the first place was removed. Yes i concede there will always be certain people in professions like farming etc who have good reasons to own a long barrelled weapon But concealable weapons shouldn't be allowed.

In the end I think its quite simple if banning the general public in the US from owning guns reduces the number of deaths of the innocent over the long term (which it would) then its has got to be the way to go.

I think this debate is pointless, as I am of the opinion that the Gene is out of the bottle, and there is no way that it can be put back in. However I do NOT concede that I agree with Guns being legal! There arent any good points, and bashing your head on an out of date constitution doesn't make it better.

Anttech said:
When [school shooting] starts happening periodically you have to start thinking their is a problem that is allowing these things to happen, and it isn't just a strange one off...

Guns are very popular in Canada, but Canada does not have mass shootings. Guns are everywhere in Switzerland, and they do not have mass shootings. Guns are everywhere in the US, and there are mass shootings. Clearly Americans are just incapable of handling guns responsibly, correct? Well no not really.
I remember when Columbine happened and the media swarmed all over the story. What they found and kept repeating was how the kids were picked on by bullies to no end. These kids didn't snap because they were crazy. They were just sane enough to fight back the only way they could; through violence. Maybe if schools actually did something to stop bullying in the first place, this wouldn't have happened.

At my high school a few years ago, there was a problem with a few of the popular kids being poisoned by Copper (2) Sulfate in their slurpees. Regardless of what tools are in the hands of tormented kids, they will always find a way to take revenge. America has guns, Canada has poison.
You can't stop violence by taking away weapons; all you can do is try to change behaviors and hope that fixes the problem.

why the hell do u sell automatics in america?

Last edited:
ukmicky said:
But how many of them shootings which have occurred in places where its illegal to enter with a gun would have taken place if the persons right to own the gun in the first place was removed.

The types of automatic assault weapons generally used in public massacres like this are already banned. That doesn't stop people from obtaining them. The only thing that would do that is to completely stop the manufacture.

ukmicky said:
In the end I think its quite simple if banning the general public in the US from owning guns reduces the number of deaths of the innocent over the long term (which it would) then its has got to be the way to go.

I agree, but this has shown to be false whenever it has been tried. UK's crime rate did not go down when they banned guns. Neither did the crime rate in Australia. All that changed was how crimes were carried out. Gun violence turned into knife violence. Rape at gunpoint turned into rape at knifepoint. US cops wear bulletproof vests to stop bullets whike English cops wear stab-resistant vests to stop knives. Thugs in the US carry guns. Thugs in the UK http://news.monstersandcritics.com/uk/features/article_1279673.php/Growing_knife_culture_among_young_shocks_Britain .
One is just as bad as the other. Being shot is just as bad as being stabbed. The only difference is that citizens are less likely to get involved in a situation if they don't feel they have the upper hand. If you're sitting in a diner that is being robbed, you can shoot from under the table, so some people might try that and stop the crime. When you have a knife, you're not going to stand up and face the robber to have a knife-fight, so you'll just let the robbery happen. There's no deterrence at all when everybody carries knives.

TuviaDaCat said:
why the hell do u sell semi automatics in america?

Why not? Semi-autos are the most practical form of a firearm, IMO. All my guns are semi-autos. Revolvers are much more difficult to carry concealed. And I carry .45 semi-auto at all times. :bugeye:

"Gun-free" zones are danger zones. That's where human beings are defenseless against a gunman.

ShawnD said:
Guns are very popular in Canada, but Canada does not have mass shootings. Guns are everywhere in Switzerland, and they do not have mass shootings. Guns are everywhere in the US, and there are mass shootings. Clearly Americans are just incapable of handling guns responsibly, correct? Well no not really.
I remember when Columbine happened and the media swarmed all over the story. What they found and kept repeating was how the kids were picked on by bullies to no end. These kids didn't snap because they were crazy. They were just sane enough to fight back the only way they could; through violence. Maybe if schools actually did something to stop bullying in the first place, this wouldn't have happened. At my high school a few years ago, there was a problem with a few of the popular kids being poisoned by Copper (2) Sulfate in their slurpees. Regardless of what tools are in the hands of tormented kids, they will always find a way to take revenge. America has guns, Canada has poison.
You can't stop violence by taking away weapons; all you can do is try to change behaviors and hope that fixes the problem.

Fine, so what do we as a society do to people who can't live life civil people? We typically take away from them the tools they use to be uncivil, or more specifically we ban them from being allowed to be uncivil.

Same should be for THE society until it can be trusted with the tools to be uncivil. These tools are Guns, but.. as I said its a pointless argument because there is zero chance ever to get rid of the guns.

loseyourname said:
The types of automatic assault weapons generally used in public massacres like this are already banned. That doesn't stop people from obtaining them. The only thing that would do that is to completely stop the manufacture.

Unfortunately this is outside of US jurisdiction since many of the guns are not made in the US. Western Europe makes a lot of guns, Russia makes lots of guns, and I think some guns like AK-47s are made in places like Pakistan.