Mechanics of Materials II - Mohr's Circle

In summary, the problem is to determine the range of values of \tau_{xy} for which the maximum tensile stress is equal to or less than 60 MPa, given the provided stresses of \sigma_x = -120 MPa and \sigma_y = -60 MPa. Using Mohr's Circle and the equation \sigma_{max} = \frac{\sigma_x + \sigma_y}{2} + \sqrt{(\frac{\sigma_x - \sigma_y}{2})^2 + \tau_{xy}^2}, the range of values for \tau_{xy} is -59.9 MPa to +59.9 MPa.
Double A

Homework Statement

For an element [Stress Block], determine the range of values of [tex]\tau_{xy}[/tex] for which the maximum tensile stress is equal to or less than 60 MPa.

Given in the provided figure:
[tex]\sigma_x[/tex] = -120 MPa
[tex]\sigma_y[/tex] = -60 MPa

Homework Equations

[tex]\sigma_{ave} = \frac{\sigma_x + \sigma_y}{2}[/tex]

[tex]R = \tau_{max} = \sqrt{(\frac{\sigma_x - \sigma_y}{2})^2 + \tau_{xy}^2}[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_{max,min} = \frac{\sigma_x + \sigma_y}{2} \pm \sqrt{(\frac{\sigma_x - \sigma_y}{2})^2 + \tau_{xy}^2}[/tex]

[tex] \tan{2\theta_p} = \frac{2\tau_{xy}}{\sigma_x - \sigma_y}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn a representation of Mohr's Circle using the provided data. I am confused with the statement saying "tensile stress" when the provided stresses are in compression. They represent the shear stress in the positive direction. I am also unclear about how to approch this beyond my Mohr's circle figure.

I'm not sure if this is correct but I tried this:

[tex]\sigma_{max} = \frac{\sigma_x + \sigma_y}{2} + \sqrt{(\frac{\sigma_x - \sigma_y}{2})^2 + \tau_{xy}^2}[/tex]

Solve for [tex]\tau_{xy}[/tex] and inputing known values:

[tex]\tau_{xy} = \pm[/tex]59.9 MPa

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Therefore, the range of values of \tau_{xy} for which the maximum tensile stress is equal to or less than 60 MPa would be -59.9 MPa to + 59.9 MPa.

Therefore, the range of values for \tau_{xy} is -59.9 MPa \leq \tau_{xy} \leq 59.9 MPa.

As for the statement about "tensile stress" in the problem, it is likely a mistake or typo. The provided stresses are indeed in compression, so the maximum tensile stress would actually be the minimum compressive stress, which is -120 MPa in this case. Therefore, the problem can be solved using the given stresses as is.

What is Mohr's Circle and how is it used in Mechanics of Materials II?

Mohr's Circle is a graphical method used to determine the state of stress at a point in a material subjected to external forces. It is commonly used in Mechanics of Materials II to analyze the stress and strain in complex loading situations.

How is Mohr's Circle constructed?

Mohr's Circle is constructed by plotting the normal stress on the horizontal axis and the shear stress on the vertical axis. The center of the circle represents the average normal stress, while the radius of the circle represents the maximum shear stress.

What is the significance of the points on Mohr's Circle?

The points on Mohr's Circle represent the principal stresses, which are the maximum and minimum stresses at a point in a material. The angle between the radius of the circle and the horizontal axis represents the orientation of the principal stresses.

How is Mohr's Circle used to determine the principal stresses and maximum shear stress?

The principal stresses can be determined by finding the intersection of the circle with the horizontal axis. The maximum shear stress can be determined by finding the point on the circle where the radius is perpendicular to the horizontal axis.

What are the advantages of using Mohr's Circle in Mechanics of Materials II?

Mohr's Circle provides a visual representation of stress and strain in a material, making it easier to understand and analyze complex loading situations. It also allows for quick determination of the principal stresses and maximum shear stress, which are important in the design of structures and components.