Im soooooo close to solving this problem (Rings)

• Thread starter pureouchies4717
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, if 1 < gcd(n,m) < m, then n · 1R is a zero divisor. This is shown by finding x and y in R where x * (n * 1R) = 0R and (n * 1R) * y = 0R, using the fact that m * 1R = 0R and setting y = x = m/(gcd(n,m)) * 1R.
pureouchies4717
Let R be a ring of characteristic m > 0, and let n be any
integer. Show that:

if 1 < gcd(n,m) < m, then n · 1R is a zero divisor

heres what i got out of this:

Let gcd(n,m) = b

1< d < m so m/d = b < m
and d | n

Also, m * 1_R = 0

can someone please offer some insight?
thanks,
nick

Physics news on Phys.org
You know [itex]m 1_R=0_R[/itex]. You need to show that there are some x, y in R with [itex]x\cdot (n 1_R) = 0_R[/itex] and [itex](n 1_R) \cdot y = 0_R[/itex].

I suggest trying [itex]y=x = \frac{m}{(n,m)}1_R[/itex]. :smile:

Great job on your progress so far! Here is a bit more explanation to help you fully understand the problem and its solution.

First, let's define a ring R of characteristic m > 0. This means that for any element a in R, m * a = 0. This is because the characteristic is the smallest positive integer such that m * a = 0 for all a in R.

Next, let n be any integer and let b = gcd(n,m). This means that b is the greatest common divisor of n and m. Since 1 < b < m, this means that b is a proper divisor of m.

Now, let's consider the element n * 1_R in our ring R. Since b is a proper divisor of m, we know that there exists some integer k such that m = b * k. Therefore, we have:

n * 1_R = n * (b * k) * 1_R = (n * b) * (k * 1_R) = m * (k * 1_R) = 0 * (k * 1_R) = 0

This shows that n * 1_R is equal to 0, which means that it is a zero divisor in our ring R. This is because there exists a non-zero element k * 1_R that when multiplied by n * 1_R, gives us 0.

Therefore, we have shown that if 1 < gcd(n,m) < m, then n * 1_R is a zero divisor in our ring R. This is an important result because it helps us understand the properties of rings with non-zero characteristics. Keep up the good work!

What is the problem with the Rings?

The problem with the Rings is that they are very complex and difficult to solve. They require a combination of knowledge in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and mathematics.

How close are you to solving the problem?

I cannot give an exact answer as it depends on the progress of my research and experiments. However, I can confidently say that I am making significant progress and am dedicated to finding a solution.

What makes solving this problem so important?

The Rings problem is important because it has the potential to advance our understanding of the natural world and potentially lead to new technologies and innovations. It is also a challenging problem that many scientists have been working on for years.

What are the main challenges in solving this problem?

The main challenges in solving the Rings problem include the complexity of the problem, the lack of available data and resources, and the need for interdisciplinary collaboration between scientists from different fields.

Is there a deadline for solving this problem?

There is no specific deadline for solving the Rings problem, but as a scientist, I am always motivated to make progress and find solutions in a timely manner. However, it is important to prioritize accuracy and thoroughness over speed in scientific research.