Prime Numbers Formula: 1800s Math Discovery

In summary, there is a formula that was discovered by a mathematician in the 1800s that accurately predicted primes up to a certain point, but it eventually became unreliable. There are also other ways to construct polynomials that can give all the primes up to a certain point, but they require prior knowledge of the primes. Some of these methods may appear in Wittgenstein's "Philosophical Investigations," and more information can be found on the JSTOR website. However, there are also some equations that may appear to give all the primes, but they are actually "cheating" and not truly accurate.
Universe_Man
I was told by a math teacher I met recently that there is a formula that a mathematician in the 1800's came up with that accurately predicted all of the primes up to a certain point, but after that point began to miss a few primes, and after awhile, wasn't useful at all. Does anyone have any information on that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is a polynomial in N that gives primes for something like n=1 through 79, but then falls apart. I can't remember what it is at the moment, but I'll try to find it if nobody else posts anything

For some reason I'm recalling that it actually appears in Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations, but I'm not sure if that's right...

http://www.jstor.org/view/07468342/di020779/02p0348s/0

This site seems to have good information

Last edited by a moderator:
You can, of course, construct polynomials that will give you all the primes up to any arbitrary point, if you already know what they are!

The positive solutions to the following system of equations are precisely the primes. But if you look closely you'll see that it's cheating you...

0 = wz + h + j − q
0 = (gk + 2g + k + 1)(h + j) + h − z
0 = 16(k + 1)3(k + 2)(n + 1)2 + 1 − f2
0 = 2n + p + q + z − e
0 = e3(e + 2)(a + 1)2 + 1 − o2
0 = (a2 − 1)y2 + 1 − x2
0 = 16r2y4(a2 − 1) + 1 − u2
0 = n + l + v − y
0 = (a2 − 1)l2 + 1 − m2
0 = ai + k + 1 − l − i
0 = ((a + u2(u2 − a))2 − 1)(n + 4dy)2 + 1 − (x + cu)2
0 = p + l(a − n − 1) + b(2an + 2a − n2 − 2n − 2) − m
0 = q + y(a − p − 1) + s(2ap + 2p − p2 − 2p − 2) − x
0 = z + pl(a − p) + t(2ap − p2 − 1) − pm.

Dragonfall said:
But if you look closely you'll see that it's cheating you...

Could you explain this?

What is the Prime Numbers Formula discovered in the 1800s?

The Prime Numbers Formula, also known as the Prime Number Theorem, was discovered by mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss in the early 1800s. It is a mathematical theorem that describes the distribution of prime numbers in the set of natural numbers.

How does the Prime Numbers Formula work?

The Prime Numbers Formula states that the number of prime numbers less than or equal to a given number x is approximately equal to x/ln(x), where ln(x) is the natural logarithm of x. This means that as x gets larger, the ratio of primes to natural numbers approaches a constant value of approximately 1/ln(x).

What significance does the Prime Numbers Formula have in mathematics?

The Prime Numbers Formula is considered one of the most important theorems in number theory, as it helps to explain the distribution of prime numbers and provides a way to estimate the number of primes in a given range. It also has applications in cryptography and the study of complex systems.

What are some limitations of the Prime Numbers Formula?

While the Prime Numbers Formula provides a good approximation of the number of primes in a given range, it does have its limitations. For very large numbers, the formula may not accurately predict the exact number of primes, and there are some cases where it can produce significant errors.

Has the Prime Numbers Formula been proven?

While there is strong evidence to support the Prime Numbers Formula, it has not been proven to be true for all values of x. It is based on a hypothesis known as the Prime Number Theorem, which has been extensively tested and is generally accepted as true by mathematicians, but has not yet been proven.