Why isn't there shock wave in this case

In summary: Thank you for your help everybody.In summary, the simulation showed that there is a shock wave in the result at a Mach number of 1.5.
havythoai
Hi everybody !

I have used FLUENT to do the following simulation ( it's 1.5 cm, not 1,5)

http://upload.tinhco.net/thoai/debai.jpg

I set 500 for "Number of Iterations". After running Fluent, I saw CL and Cd have convergenced, then I turn off the interation process. And here are my result

http://upload.tinhco.net/thoai/Contour-Mach.jpg

http://upload.tinhco.net/thoai/Contour-Pressure.jpg

Are my results right ? Are the shock waves in my result right ?

Here's my grid resolution ? Is it smooth enough to capture the shock wave ?
[/PLAIN][PLAIN]http://upload.tinhco.net/thoai/luoi.jpg[/PLAIN] Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Everybody ? :(

Is there shock wave in My result ? :(

If the flow were inviscid, the best show of shock would be by plotting the total pressure. It would appear all red before the shock, and flow-parallel rainbow stripes after the shock.

Given that your example is viscous, plus at not too high Reynolds number and with a blunt tail, total pressure will not be that revealing (it will dissipate by the viscous effects as well as shock), but give it a try.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

It appears that the shock is about 2/3rds the way up the wedge surface, and is standing 90* in relation to the free stream flow before the wedge. At Mach 1 this is right on the money.
You didn't say at what altitude the simulation was run at, but if your trying to show the Mach shock better, lowering the altitude (keeping everything else the same) will increase the shocks density and visibility. Also of course, increasing the resolution will to, if you have the extra time.

Well the first thing I would do is compare this to an exact solution. I don't have my notes on my now, but I'm pretty sure there is a similarity solution to flow over wedges. I remember it being very very clever. Anyways, like said before it may be a good idea to plot total or stagnation pressure. You know that through a shock there will be a jump (jump being however well your grid can resolve the shock) in stagnation quantities.

Where does the asymmetry come from in your Mach number plot? Also, judging from your contour plot the Mach number on the left seems to be less then 0.8, what kind of grid did you use?

Thank you !

I'm now checking it out again through considering your comments. :wink:

1. Why is there no shock wave in this case?

In order for a shock wave to form, there needs to be a supersonic flow of air or gas. If the flow is not supersonic, then there will be no shock wave.

2. What factors contribute to the absence of a shock wave?

The presence of a shock wave is dependent on several factors, including the velocity of the flow, the geometry of the object, and the properties of the medium (such as air or gas).

3. Can a shock wave form at subsonic speeds?

No, a shock wave can only form when the flow is supersonic. If the flow is subsonic, then there will be no sudden change in pressure that is characteristic of a shock wave.

4. Are there any cases where a shock wave would not form even at supersonic speeds?

Yes, there are cases where a shock wave may not form even at supersonic speeds. This can occur when the flow is highly turbulent or when the object has a streamlined shape that minimizes disturbances in the flow.

5. How does the absence of a shock wave affect the aerodynamics of an object?

The presence or absence of a shock wave can significantly impact the aerodynamics of an object. Shock waves can cause large fluctuations in pressure, which can lead to increased drag and reduced efficiency. Without a shock wave, the aerodynamics of an object may be more stable, but it may also result in lower performance.