What is the maximum speed of an EV with given HP and resistance?

In summary, the problem is to determine the maximum speed of an electric vehicle given the horsepower of the motor (3 total) and the wind and rolling resistance at 60mph. The wind resistance is considered constant and the weight of the EV with cargo and rider is 2250lbs. Using the formula for energy, power, and speed, it is possible to solve for the required horsepower at a given speed, but it is not possible to determine the maximum speed with a given horsepower. The air resistance increases exponentially with velocity, making it a poor model for constant resistance. Ultimately, the mass of the vehicle must be taken into account when solving for the maximum speed.
ruteckyb
Problem is to solve for max speed of an electric vehicle, given is the HP of motor (3 total), and the wind+rolling resistance of the vehicle at 60mph. Wind resistance should be regarded as a constant for this problem. Also given is EV weight with cargo and rider

Motor HP = 5, 10 , 20
Resistance is constant @ 165lbs.
EV weight = 2250lbs.

Solve for the given 3 hp varables.

Physics news on Phys.org
You really have to at least try and solve the question - see the sticky at the top of the thread,

To get you started.
Energy is force * distance
Power is energy / time
Speed is distance / time
At constant speed you only have to overcome resistance

I can solve for horsepower needed at a given speed. For example: with the above constants it is 22.3hp to maintain 60mph. However I can not take a power amount and result with the max speed. I could use trial and error perhaps, until I get results with the required hp ratings but this is a very poor way to answer the question.

PS this is not homework I am building this EV, I need to know what size engine.

Ok then, 5hp is 3728W 165lbs force = 734 Newtons.
Power = force * distance in 1 sec
speed = distance/s = 3728/734 = 5 m/s = 11.2 MPH
Because you are going at a constant speed on the flat the mass is ignored.

ps above about 10mph air resistance is proportional to velocity squared, so you constant resistance isn't a good model.

I see, the problem I was having was I neglected to ignore the mass. Thank you.

What is the "Max speed of an ev at give HP"?

The "Max speed of an ev at give HP" is the maximum speed that an electric vehicle (EV) can reach at a given horsepower (HP) output. It is a measure of the vehicle's top speed capability with a specific amount of power.

How is the "Max speed of an ev at give HP" determined?

The "Max speed of an ev at give HP" is determined by a combination of factors, including the vehicle's weight, aerodynamics, and motor efficiency. The power output of the motor and the gearing of the vehicle also play a role in determining the maximum speed at a given HP.

What is the relationship between "Max speed of an ev at give HP" and acceleration?

The "Max speed of an ev at give HP" and acceleration are inversely related. This means that as the maximum speed of the vehicle increases, the rate of acceleration decreases. This is because more energy is required to push the vehicle at higher speeds.

Can the "Max speed of an ev at give HP" be increased?

Yes, the "Max speed of an ev at give HP" can be increased by increasing the power output of the motor, improving the vehicle's aerodynamics, or reducing its weight. However, there may be limitations based on the capabilities of the motor and other components of the vehicle.

How does the "Max speed of an ev at give HP" compare to that of a traditional gas-powered car?

The "Max speed of an ev at give HP" of an electric vehicle is typically lower than that of a traditional gas-powered car. This is because electric motors have a limited power output compared to internal combustion engines. However, EVs often have faster acceleration due to the instant torque provided by the electric motor.