Should I Start Undergraduate Research Next Quarter or Wait Until Spring?

• Thread starter proton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the speaker is currently a junior in college and plans on graduating in their 5th year. They are considering postponing research until the spring and applying for REUs next summer. The other person suggests that the best time to start getting involved in research is now, as it takes time to learn background material and produce useful results. They also mention that there is always something worthwhile to do or learn, and it's better to start sooner rather than later.
proton
My school runs on the trimester system. Next quarter, I will start my upper-div physics by taking classical mechanics. Along w/that I'll take a lower-div physics lab, and upper-div DEs. I want to also take abstract algebra, since I've found my 1st quarter of upper-div math to be more interesting than my current physics classes. I want to wait to do undergrad research until spring of next year, but I'll be behind everyone else, right? Also, I want to apply to REUs for next summer, so doing research for a prof will give a good letter of rec to apply to REUs, right? Therefore, would it be a bad idea to not do research next quarter (winter) but postpone it to spring?

Physics news on Phys.org
What year are you in, now?

The sooner, the better, I would think. Even if you have to post-pone taking a class. You know the class you put off now will still be offered later. Getting a prof to give you something to do isn't that easy.

Definitely the sooner the better. Once you get a research position, it takes a lot of time learning background material before you'll actually be able to get anything done. You don't want to run out of time before being able to produce something useful.

i'm currently a junior (i plan on graduating in my 5th year). That sucks that research is better the sooner.

proton said:
i'm currently a junior (i plan on graduating in my 5th year). That sucks that research is better the sooner.

Well then, it sounds like the best time for you to start trying hard to get involved in research is...right now.

Really, that goes for most people that are interested in research. Why wait? Yeah, there's limits on what you can do at a given stage, but there's always something worth doing or learning.

1. Should I start undergraduate research next quarter or wait until spring?

The decision to start undergraduate research next quarter or wait until spring ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and goals. Consider factors such as your current workload, availability of research opportunities, and your academic and career objectives before making a decision.

2. What are the benefits of starting undergraduate research next quarter?

Starting undergraduate research next quarter can provide you with a head start in gaining hands-on experience and developing research skills. It can also help you build relationships with faculty members and potentially lead to opportunities for publications or conference presentations.

3. Are there any drawbacks to starting undergraduate research next quarter?

One potential drawback of starting undergraduate research next quarter is that it may add to your workload and potentially impact your academic performance. It is important to carefully consider your time management and prioritize your responsibilities to ensure a balance between research and coursework.

4. What if I am not sure if I am interested in a specific research topic or field?

If you are not sure about a specific research topic or field, it may be best to wait until spring to start undergraduate research. This will give you more time to explore different areas of interest and gain a better understanding of your academic and career goals.

5. Can I start undergraduate research at any point during my undergraduate career?

Yes, you can start undergraduate research at any point during your undergraduate career. However, it is important to plan ahead and ensure that you have enough time to balance research with other academic and personal responsibilities. It may also be beneficial to start earlier in your undergraduate career to gain more experience and potentially have more opportunities for research projects.