Solve Permutation Group Homework Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems in group theory involving subgroups and permutations. The first problem shows that half of the elements in a subgroup that is not contained in the alternating group are even permutations. The second problem asks to show that all elements in a symmetric group can be written as a product of two permutations, each with order 2. The conversation also includes a discussion on cyclic permutations and even permutations.
jacobrhcp
Hehe, I'm working through the complete groups books right now, so don't think I ask you all my homework questions... I'm doing a lot myself too =).

Homework Statement

1) If H is a subgroup of [tex]S_n[/tex], and is not contained in [tex]A_n[/tex], show that precisely half of the elements in H are even permutations
2) show that for n>3, all elements of [tex]S_n[/tex], can be written as a product of two permutations, each of which has order 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) If there is an element x that's not in [tex]A_n[/tex], then x=yz, where either y or z is odd.
call this element x'. x'=y'z', and either y' or z' is odd again.
If you continue this process, you eventually have to get back to x, because [tex]S_n[/tex] is finite. If you can show this is when you repeated the process n/2 times, you're done... because the other half are the even ones you encountered when you wrote it as a product every time.

But this is a step I'm having problems with. And I realize this argument has loads of holes in it.

2) I have only a vague clue on this one. I thought I might write the element as a product of disjoint cyclic permutations. Now cyclic permutations are of order 2.

because this is grammatically close to what I want I thought it might help =P, but I really don't know how get from here to the point where you have two elements of order 2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cleaning up your argument:
If [itex]x[/itex] is an odd element of [itex]H[/itex], then you can show that each coset of [itex]<x>[/itex] has the same number of even and odd elements, but you can skip the middleman.

Let's say:
[tex]H=\{h_1,h_2...h_k\}[/tex]
and [itex]x \in H[/itex] is some odd permutation what can you say about
[tex]\{xh_1,xh_2...xh_k\}[/tex]
relative to [itex]H[/itex]?

For part 2:
Cyclic permutations aren't of order 2 - but they are all even permutations...

1) oh my. I've thought about it for quite some time before I realized. that set is again H, ofcourse. Because odd * odd=odd and odd * even=even, by symmetry it can only be that half the elements are odd. Thanks!

2) cyclic permutations are indeed not of order 2, but are they even? I'm not sure I get this. If you know this yourselves, can you help me a little bit further?

jacobrhcp said:
2) cyclic permutations are indeed not of order 2, but are they even? I'm not sure I get this. If you know this yourselves, can you help me a little bit further?

Sorry, I made a mistake -- cyclic permutations can be odd. Cycles of odd length are even.

The order of element of a group [itex]<x>[/itex] is the number of elements in the group that is generated by [itex]x[/itex]. (This group ends up looking like [itex]x^0,x^1...x^n[/itex] if it is finite and [itex]...x^{-1},x^{0},x^1...[/itex] if it is infinite.) For elements of finite order, it is also the smallest exponent so that [itex]x^n[/itex] is the identity.

An even permutation is a permutation that, can be written as the composition of an even number of transpositions. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Even_permutation).

You might consider the following as a warm-up for part 2:
Show that any cycle of length n can be decomposed into n-1 transpositions.
Show that any permutation can be written as the product of two permutations that are either the identity or have order 2.

What is a permutation group?

A permutation group is a mathematical concept that involves rearranging elements in a set. It is a group of permutations, which are bijective functions from a set to itself. In other words, a permutation group is a collection of all possible ways to rearrange the elements of a set.

How do you solve permutation group homework questions?

To solve permutation group homework questions, you need to first identify the group elements, which are the elements being rearranged. Then, determine the group operation, which is the function used to rearrange the elements. Next, you need to list out all the possible ways to rearrange the elements, also known as the group's permutations. Finally, apply the group operation to each of the permutations to see if they result in the same elements or not.

What is the significance of permutation groups?

Permutation groups have many applications in mathematics, computer science, and physics. They are used to study symmetry, as well as to solve problems related to counting, probability, and cryptography. In computer science, permutation groups are used in algorithms for sorting and searching data. In physics, they are used to describe the behavior of particles and waves.

What is an identity element in a permutation group?

An identity element in a permutation group is a permutation that leaves all elements in a set unchanged. In other words, when this permutation is applied to any element in the set, it remains the same. The identity element is denoted by the symbol "e" and is an essential component of a permutation group as it ensures that the group operation is closed and that every element has an inverse.

What is the order of a permutation group?

The order of a permutation group is the number of elements in the group. It is denoted by |G|, where G is the permutation group. For example, if a permutation group has 5 elements, its order is 5. The order of a permutation group is significant as it helps determine the complexity of solving problems related to the group and also provides important information about its structure.