Solution: Prove Sum of Fourier Coefficients of a C2π Function is Finite

In summary, the Fourier coefficients of a function f are (f, e_n), where e_n is the inner product of L_2 space. Using triangle inequality and the Cauchy-Schwartz (CS) inequality, it can be shown that |(f',e_n)| - |(f',\bar{e}_n)| < |(f', e_n-\bar{e}_n)|. This means that the summation by CS on l_2 innerproduct is convergent.
P3X-018
[SOLVED] Fourier coefficients

Homework Statement

For [itex] f \in C^{2\pi}\cap C^1[-\pi,\pi] [/itex], I have to show that

[tex] \sum_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}|c_n(f)| < \infty [/tex]

where c_n(f) is the Fourier coefficient of f;

[tex] c_n(f) = (f, e_n) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)e^{-int}\,dt [/tex]

[itex] f \in C^{2\pi} [/itex] means f continuous and that [itex] f(-\pi) = f(\pi)[/itex].
Hint: Use Cauchy-Schwartz (CS) inequality.

([itex] e_n = e^{int} [/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I just can't seem to use CS in a useful way, I keep running into dead ends:

It is easily shown that [itex] c_n(f') = inc_n(f) [/itex]. So by using this and splitting the sum up in 2 parts and using that [itex] e_{-n} = \bar{e}_{n} [/itex], I get

[tex] \sum_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}|c_n(f)| = c_0(f) + \sum_{1}^{\infty}\frac{|(f',e_n)| - |(f',\bar{e}_n)|}{n} [/tex]

Using triangle inequality I can get

[tex] |(f',e_n)| - |(f',\bar{e}_n)| \leq |(f', e_n-\bar{e}_n)| =2|(f', \sin(nt))|[/tex].

Even here CS won't be useful. Is there a different an easier approach?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What theorems do you know? Try looking at Parseval and its proof.

I kept looking at the wrong inner product to use CS on, that is that inner product of [itex]L_2[/itex], but I should look at the inner product of [itex]\ell_2[/itex] space. So by using that (replacing the minus sign with + in the afore mentioned equation for c_n(f))

[tex] \sum_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}|c_n(f)| \leq c_0(f) + \sum_{1}^{\infty}\frac{|(f',e_n)| + |(f',\bar{e}_n)|}{n} [/tex]

and then using that for [itex]|(f',\bar{e}_n)|/n[/itex] (and the same for [itex]|(f',e_n)|/n[/itex]) we get the summation by CS on l_2 innerproduct to be

[tex] \sum_{1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}|(f',e_{-n})| \leq \left(\sum_{1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}\right)^{1/2}\left(\sum_{1}^{\infty} |(f',e_{-n})|^2 \right)^{1/2} [/tex]

Were the [itex]C^2 = \sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] is convergent. Before I can use Parseval's theorem, I need to extend the last sum to go from -infinity to +infinity so (1 more inequality), so I get (f', e_n) instead of (f',e_{-n}),

[tex] \sum_{1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}|(f',e_{-n})| \leq C\left(\sum_{-\infty}^{\infty} |(f',e_{n})|^2 \right)^{1/2} = C\|f'\| < \infty [/tex]

Is this correct, or have I done some 'illegal' steps? If I haven't then the problem is solved.

Last edited:

What is the significance of proving the sum of Fourier coefficients?

The Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent periodic functions as a sum of sine and cosine functions. Proving that the sum of Fourier coefficients of a C2π function is finite ensures the convergence of the Fourier series, meaning that the function can be accurately represented by a finite number of terms.

What is a C2π function?

A C2π function is a periodic function with a period of 2π and is continuous, differentiable, and has a continuous derivative. This means that the function is smooth and has no abrupt changes or corners.

Why is the continuity of the derivative important in this proof?

The continuity of the derivative is important because it ensures the existence of the Fourier coefficients for the function. Without a continuous derivative, the function may not have a well-defined Fourier series.

What is the relation between the Fourier coefficients and the convergence of the Fourier series?

The Fourier coefficients determine the amplitude and frequency of each term in the Fourier series. The convergence of the Fourier series is dependent on the magnitude of these coefficients. If the sum of the Fourier coefficients is finite, then the Fourier series will converge to the original function.

Can this proof be applied to all C2π functions?

Yes, this proof can be applied to all C2π functions as long as they satisfy the necessary conditions of being periodic, continuous, differentiable, and having a continuous derivative. This includes most common functions such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.