Angular Momentum Lab: Impact of Dropping Disk Off-Center

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment involving a rotating hollow cylinder and an iron disk, where the rotational speed decreases when the disk is added due to an increase in the rotational inertia of the system. The conversation also touches on the impact of dropping the disk off center and how it affects the rotational inertia of the system. The question is raised about the relationship between the distance of the disk from the axis and the rotational inertia, with a hint that when mass moves away from the axis, the rotational inertia increases.
frasifrasi
So, in the lab that my class just finished for angular momentum, we had a rotaring hollow cylinder rotating and we had to drop an iron disk square on top of it to measure the momentum before and after to verify conservation.

The professor inquired how the result would be affected if we had dropped the disk off center, but never explained it. I realize the result would be impacted but am not visualizing in what way or how. Can anyone help me understad this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: How does the rotational inertia of the combined system (cylinder + disk) depend on where the disk is placed?

I am not sure. I would guess the velocity will be higher because the mass is less concentrated?

anyone?

When the disk is added, the rotational speed goes down because the rotational inertia of the system goes up. The rotational inertia of the system about the given axis equals the sum of the rotational inertia of the cylinder (which doesn't change) plus the rotational inertia of the disk. How does the rotational inertia of the disk about the given axis depend on its distance from the axis?

Hint: Whenever mass moves away from the axis, does that increase or decrease the rotational inertia?

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around an axis.

2. How is Angular Momentum calculated?

Angular Momentum is calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotation) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates).

3. What is the purpose of the "Angular Momentum Lab: Impact of Dropping Disk Off-Center"?

The purpose of this lab is to observe and measure the changes in angular momentum when a disk is dropped off-center from a rotating platform.

4. What variables are being tested in this lab?

The variables being tested in this lab are the initial position of the disk, the initial angular velocity of the platform, and the mass and shape of the disk.

5. What conclusions can be drawn from the results of this lab?

From the results of this lab, we can conclude that the angular momentum of an object is conserved in the absence of external forces. We can also observe the effects of changing the initial conditions on the final angular momentum of the system.