Problem solving 2nd order ODE not for the faint of heart

In summary, the conversation is about solving a set of cosmological equations involving Hubble's constants and plotting the results. The equations originate from a paper and the person is asking for advice on the correct approach to solving them. They mention trying to use DSOLVE in Mathematica but run into an error.
robousy
Problem solving 2nd order ODE...not for the faint of heart!

Hey folks,

I'm having problems solving the following set of ODE's:

[tex]3H_a^2+H_b^2+6H_aH_b=k_1\rho[/tex] eq.1

[tex]\dot{H_a}+3H_a^2+2H_aH_b=k_2\rho[/tex] eq.2

[tex]\dot{H_b}+2H_b^2+3H_aH_b=k_3\rho[/tex] eq.3

These are cosmological equations. Note, [itex]\rho=\frac{1}{b^6}(1-b^2+b^4)[/itex], also the H's are Hubbles constant in a and b, eg

[tex]H_a=\frac{\dot{a}}{a}[/tex]

[tex]H_b=\frac{\dot{b}}{b}[/tex]

The a's and b's are functions of t (time) and the k's on the RHS are just constants. I want to put this all together and ultimately plot a as a function of t and b as a function of t.

The equations originate from the paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.1062 , equations 9,10,11 and I am trying to duplicate the plots in fig1.

What I'm thinking:

Solve eqtn 1 for [itex]H_a[H_a] using the quadratic eqtn then plug that into 3 and use DSOLVE in mathematica.

Can anyone let me know if this is the correct approach.

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I tried the above

and mathematica tells me Solve::svars: Equations may not give solutions for all "solve" variables

1. How can I solve a 2nd order ODE?

Solving a 2nd order ODE involves using known techniques such as the variation of parameters, undetermined coefficients, or using a substitution method. It is important to carefully analyze the form of the ODE and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

2. What are some common challenges when solving 2nd order ODEs?

Some common challenges when solving 2nd order ODEs include difficulty in identifying the form of the ODE, determining the initial conditions, and finding appropriate boundary conditions. It is also important to properly manipulate and simplify the equation before attempting to solve it.

3. Can I use numerical methods to solve a 2nd order ODE?

Yes, numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, and the shooting method can be used to solve 2nd order ODEs. However, these methods may not always yield exact solutions and may require a large number of iterations to achieve accurate results.

4. Are there any tips for solving "not for the faint of heart" 2nd order ODEs?

Some tips for solving challenging 2nd order ODEs include carefully analyzing the form of the equation, breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts, and using known techniques or methods. It is also important to check your work and make sure the solution satisfies the original equation and initial conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of 2nd order ODEs?

2nd order ODEs are commonly used to model various physical phenomena such as the motion of a pendulum, the oscillation of an electrical circuit, and the behavior of a mass-spring system. They are also used in engineering fields such as control systems, signal processing, and fluid dynamics.