Construct a Wind Power Generator: Determine Rotor Size for 3V & .2W

In summary: Regarding the design of the rotor the first thing you need to determine is how much rpm you need on the motor to output .2W at 3V. Unless you already have an rpm specification for the particular motor you're using you're going to have to measure it. Do you have a method in mind for doing that?If so, then this would be unnecessary since the fan will provide a constant velocity wind.Do you think I should build it with 2 or 3 blades? We get marked down the heavier the tower is.This project is for grade 8th-12th students.
Ry122
I have to construct a wind power generator out of straws. It has to provide no less than 3V and .2W for a period of 1 minute and be able to withstand a horizontal force of 15N.
How would I determine what size the rotor would have to be to create this voltage and current from 15N ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ry122 said:
I have to construct a wind power generator out of straws. It has to provide no less than 3V and .2W for a period of 1 minute and be able to withstand a horizontal force of 15N.
How would I determine what size the rotor would have to be to create this voltage and current from 15N ?

Can you say any more about how you're going to form the rotor out of straws?

The tower is going to be made out of straws, the rotor can be made out of anything. I am not sure about what I am going to use yet for the rotors, got any ideas?
The only formula I have found for wind tower power output has a velocity variable and since I only know the force the wind will have I can't use it.

Ry122 said:
The tower is going to be made out of straws, the rotor can be made out of anything. I am not sure about what I am going to use yet for the rotors, got any ideas?
The only formula I have found for wind tower power output has a velocity variable and since I only know the force the wind will have I can't use it.

Can you use an cup style anemometer as a rotor? I believe the formulas for these are readily available. How tall will your tower be?

Chris

The tower has to be 40cm tall. Is that tall enough?

They way I would approach this is:
First I would have to figure out what motor I should use -- if you are provided with one, what motor RPM corresponds to an output voltage of 3V with a given load that would consume .2W (this can probably be tested).

Once I know the RPM, I need to know what torque is required to maintain that rpm.
As was said above, a cup anemometer is probably the easiest to build. The force on the device would be the the difference in drag between the cups facing one way and the other, and the bigger radius they sweep the larger the torque.

Ry122 said:
The tower has to be 40cm tall. Is that tall enough?

I'm not sure why you're concerned about the height.

Ry122 said:

What will be the velocity of the wind source used to test this device?

How will you apply the 15N horizontal force to test the tower for rigidity?

Chris

ctjen said:
What will be the velocity of the wind source used to test this device?

ry122 said:

ctjen said:
How will you apply the 15N horizontal force to test the tower for rigidity?

With a 350mm diamater, 3 blade household fan running at full speed.

ctjen said:
I'm not sure why you're concerned about the height.

ctjen said:
How tall will your tower be?

How did you determine that the fan exerts a force of 15N?

Do you have a controlled way to rotate the electric motor? For example, an eggbeater crank style hand drill or a variable speed electric hand drill?

Do you have a volt meter and some resistors so you can put a load on the motor and test it's output?

What other materials besides straws can you use to assemble the tower? Are they paper or plastic straws?

Regarding the design of the rotor the first thing you need to determine is how much rpm you need on the motor to output .2W at 3V. Unless you already have an rpm specification for the particular motor you're using you're going to have to measure it. Do you have a method in mind for doing that?

Chris

It says in the assignment task sheet that the wind will be 15N.
What do u mean by control the rotation of the rotor? Do you mean the speed? If so, then this would be unnecessary since the fan will provide a constant velocity wind.
Do you think I should build it with 2 or 3 blades? We get marked down the heavier the tower is.

What grade level is this project?

Chris

1. What is a wind power generator?

A wind power generator is a device that converts the kinetic energy from wind into electricity. It typically consists of a rotor, blades, a generator, and a tower. As the wind blows, it causes the rotor to spin, which then turns the blades and powers the generator to produce electricity.

2. How does a wind power generator work?

Wind power generators work by harnessing the energy from the wind. The rotor and blades are designed to capture the wind and rotate, which then powers the generator to produce electricity. The electricity is then stored in batteries or fed into the electrical grid for use.

3. What is the importance of determining the rotor size for a wind power generator?

The rotor size is an important factor in the efficiency and effectiveness of a wind power generator. A larger rotor can capture more wind energy and produce more electricity, while a smaller rotor may not be able to generate enough power. It is important to determine the right rotor size to ensure maximum energy output.

4. How do you determine the rotor size for a 3V & .2W wind power generator?

The rotor size for a wind power generator is determined by the swept area, which is the area swept by the blades as they rotate. To determine the swept area, you will need to know the wind speed and the power output you want to achieve. Once you have this information, you can use a formula to calculate the required rotor size.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when determining the rotor size for a wind power generator?

Yes, apart from the wind speed and desired power output, there are other factors that can impact the rotor size, such as the design and material of the blades, the generator efficiency, and the tower height. It is important to consider all these factors to ensure optimal performance and efficiency of the wind power generator.