Sphere rolling down an incline

In summary, the problem involves a hollow spherical shell with mass 2.50 kg rolling down a slope at an angle of 32.0 degrees with the horizontal. The questions ask for the magnitude of acceleration and frictional force, as well as the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent slipping. After calculations, the acceleration is found to be 3.12 m/s^2 and the frictional force to be 5.19 N. The minimum coefficient of friction is determined to be 0.2462.
dk214

Homework Statement

A hollow spherical shell with mass 2.50 kg rolls without slipping down a slope that makes an angle of 32.0 degrees with the horizontal.
a. Find the magnitude of the acceleration [tex] a_c[/tex] of the center of mass of the spherical shell.
b. Find the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the spherical shell.
c. Find the minimum coefficient of friction [tex] \mu [/tex] needed to prevent the spherical shell from slipping as it rolls down the slope.

Homework Equations

For part a.
Since its pure roll, [tex] a_c = \alpha * R
\alpha = a_c/R [/tex]
[tex] \tau = R*Friction = I (moment-of-inertia) * \alpha [/tex]
[tex]Friction = (I*\alpha)/R = (I*a_c)/R^2 [/tex]
[tex]Ma_c = Mgsin(\theta)-Friction[/tex]
[tex]Ma_c = Mgsin(\theta)-Ia_c/R^2[/tex]
[tex]a_c = (MR^2*g*sin(\theta))/(MR^2+I)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I for sphere =[tex] 2/3 MR^2[/tex]
so, [tex]a_c = (MR^2*g*sin(\theta))/(MR^2+2/3*MR^2)[/tex]
MR^2 cancels..
[tex]a_c = 3/5*g*sin(\theta)[/tex]
for a_c i got [tex]a_c = 3.12m/s^2[/tex] i think I am right unless i made a mathematical error some where.
and substituting a_c, in [tex]Ma_c = Mgsin(\theta)-Friction[/tex]
i got Friction = 5.19 N.
And c,
this where I'm kind of stuck. I'm assuming since they are asking for minimum [tex]\mu[/tex] Friction is 0 in [tex] Ma_c = Mgsin(\theta)-Friction [\tex]
[tex]a_c = gsin(\theta) [/tex].
[tex]Friction = (I*\alpha)/R = (I*a_c)/R^2 [/tex], and
[tex] Friction = \mu*mg*sin(\theta) [/tex]
[tex] /mu= ((I*a_c)/R^2)/mg*sin(\theta)
idk if I'm right in assuming Friction is 0 in one part and not in other.. Any hints/guides and help would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dk214,

dk214 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I for sphere =[tex] 2/3 MR^2[/tex]
so, [tex]a_c = (MR^2*g*sin(\theta))/(MR^2+2/3*MR^2)[/tex]
MR^2 cancels..
[tex]a_c = 3/5*g*sin(\theta)[/tex]
for a_c i got [tex]a_c = 3.12m/s^2[/tex] i think I am right unless i made a mathematical error some where.
and substituting a_c, in [tex]Ma_c = Mgsin(\theta)-Friction[/tex]
i got Friction = 5.19 N.
And c,
this where I'm kind of stuck. I'm assuming since they are asking for minimum [tex]\mu[/tex] Friction is 0 in

I don't think this is right; you've already found the force of friction. Now they want the minimum [itex]\mu[/itex] that can supply that force; in other words they want the coefficient for which that frictional force is a maximum. What does that give?

I don't know if I'm understanding the question right. Are they just asking for the [tex] \mu [/tex] for the friction I found.?
which would just be Friction/Normal
[tex] \mu = 5.12/Mgcos(\theta) [/tex]
[tex] \mu = .246[/tex]

1. What is the acceleration of a sphere rolling down an incline?

The acceleration of a sphere rolling down an incline is dependent on the angle of the incline and the mass and shape of the sphere. It can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the speed of the rolling sphere?

The steeper the incline, the faster the sphere will roll. This is because the component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the incline increases as the angle increases, resulting in a greater acceleration and therefore a higher speed.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of the sphere and its acceleration down the incline?

The mass of the sphere does not affect its acceleration down the incline. This is because, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. In this case, the only force acting on the sphere is gravity, which is constant regardless of the mass of the object.

4. How does the shape of the sphere affect its motion down the incline?

The shape of the sphere does not significantly affect its motion down the incline. However, if the sphere has a non-uniform shape or is not perfectly round, it may experience some rolling resistance or friction, which can slow it down. In general, a perfectly round sphere will have the smoothest and most consistent motion down an incline.

5. What are the main factors that determine the distance a sphere will travel down an incline?

The main factors that determine the distance a sphere will travel down an incline are the angle of the incline, the initial velocity of the sphere, and the presence of any external forces such as friction. A steeper incline will result in a shorter distance traveled, while a lower initial velocity and higher friction will also decrease the distance. Additionally, the mass and shape of the sphere may also play a role in the distance traveled.