Derivation of relativistic acceleration and momentum

In summary, the author of this summary believes that mainstream theory is wrong and that relativistic mass does not exist. He goes against this by stating that relativistic momentum does not exist, only velocity. He suggests that this is because relativistic mass does not exist and that velocity is all that remains. He also claims that mainstream theory is too linear in its understanding and that this might be why people are confused about it.
phys23
Dear all,

could anyone please show the full derivation of relativistic acceleration and momentum.

Many thanks n
happy eqtns
R

Physics news on Phys.org
phys23 said:
Dear all,

could anyone please show the full derivation of relativistic acceleration and momentum.

Many thanks n
happy eqtns
R
Welcome to PF,

Have you tried searching the internet?

In relativity, mass is dependent of velocity such that,
[tex]m=\gamma m_0=\frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex].
[itex]m_0[/tex] is the mass of the object at rest, [itex]c[/itex] is the 299 792 458 m/s.
Most equations still hold true in relativity, the major exception being F=ma.
The following are still true:
[tex]p=mv, F=p', a=v', v=x'.[/tex]
Using these, we easily find that,
[tex]p=\frac{m_0v}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex]
and
[tex]F=p'=(mv)'=m'v+v'm[/tex].
Now we need to express m' in terms of only v.
[tex]m'=\left(\frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}\right)'=\frac{-1/2m_0}{(1-v^2/c^2)^{3/2}}(-2v/c^2)(v')=v\frac{m_0v'}{c^2(1-v^2/c^2)^{3/2}}[/tex].
Combining this with the above equation for force,
[tex]F=v^2\frac{m_0v'}{c^2(1-v^2/c^2)^{3/2}}+\frac{m_0v'}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex].
Now you can just factor and solve for [itex]a, v'[/itex].

Likes Jan Nebec
You result is for parallel to v. With vectors, there are other terms.

Newton's second law F/m = a Also recall a = dv/dt Also force is related to relativistic momentum by F = dp/dt
Relativistic momentum is defined by p = mv(1 - v^2/c^2)^-.5 You need to use implicit derivation to take the derivative of this with respect to t. Thus you should have dp/dt and dv/dt term. Once you are finished getting the derivative and combining terms you should end up with dv/dt = F(1-v^2/c^2)^3/2 /m

F=ma does work in both SR and GR as long as you are using the 4-vector (tensorial) version.

genesis1 said:
Newton's second law F/m = a Also recall a = dv/dt Also force is related to relativistic momentum by F = dp/dt
Relativistic momentum is defined by p = mv(1 - v^2/c^2)^-.5 You need to use implicit derivation to take the derivative of this with respect to t. Thus you should have dp/dt and dv/dt term. Once you are finished getting the derivative and combining terms you should end up with dv/dt = F(1-v^2/c^2)^3/2 /m
That result is only valid for a parallel to v.

clem said:
You result is for parallel to v. With vectors, there are other terms.
Yes, the actual equation is (gamma)ma=(F-F.v/c)v/c as i mentioned in the new thread. What I am waiting for is its dervn

vin300 said:
Yes, the actual equation is (gamma)ma=(F-F.v/c)v/c as i mentioned in the new thread. What I am waiting for is its dervn
Use the fact that
[tex]v\frac{dv}{dt}=\vec{v}\cdot \vec{a}[/tex]

gamesguru said:
Use the fact that
[tex]v\frac{dv}{dt}=\vec{v}\cdot \vec{a}[/tex]
do it

vin300 said:
do it
If you carry out the same calculations I did in the first post I made in this thread, but use vectors, you get this result (you can do it yourself, it's very easy, esp. since I already did it):
[tex]\vec{F}=m_o \vec{v}\frac{d\gamma}{dt}+m_o\gamma\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex]
and using my above post,
[tex]\frac{d\gamma}{dt}=\gamma^3\frac{|\vec{a}||\vec{v}|}{c^2}[/tex],
[tex]\vec{F}=m_o\gamma^3\vec{v}\frac{|\vec{a}||\vec{v}|}{c^2}+m_o\gamma \vec{a}=m_o\gamma^3\vec{v}\frac{\vec{a}\cdot \vec{v}}{c^2}+m_o\gamma \vec{a}[/tex]
So,
[tex]m_o\gamma\vec{a}=\vec{F}-[(m_o\gamma^3\vec{a})\cdot\frac{\vec{v}}{c}]\frac{\vec{v}}{c}[/tex].
According to your author, the following must be true,
[tex]m_o\gamma^3\vec{a}=\vec{F}[/tex].
This suggests relativistic mass does not exist and that this author goes against mainstream theory. The only guy I know who goes against this is Levvy. We don't like to trust that guy around here. (Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_special_relativity#Controversy)

I wouldn't trust this author if I were you, only if you assume relativistic mass does not exist do you get the result you posted.

As I just posted in the other thread, dotting your m\gamma a equation with v
shows the result v.F=m\gamma^3(v.a).
Either you or I are confused about what "mainstream theory" is.

So I've been told that the speed of light remains constant despite length contraction and dime dilation because they each decrease proportionately. So a velocity of 4 meters/2 seconds in a relativistic scenario might see a halving of values of length and time so it may only traverse 2 meters but only 1 second of time elapses. My question is what happens with acceleration if it is measured in distance per time-squared...Shouldn't it decrease proportionately to square root-t? If time dilates, shouldn't time-squared dilate even more? Or is this too linear of an approach?

phys23 said:
Dear all,

Many thanks n
happy eqtns
R

[tex]a \equiv \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]

[tex]p \equiv \frac{\partial L}{\partial v}[/tex]

with [itex]L[/itex] the relativistic Lagrangian and [itex]v[/itex] velocity

1. What is the concept of relativity in physics?

The concept of relativity in physics refers to the fact that physical laws and measurements can vary depending on the frame of reference from which they are observed. This includes the effects of motion and gravity on space and time.

2. How does Einstein's theory of relativity explain acceleration and momentum?

Einstein's theory of relativity explains that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its momentum and acceleration increase in a non-linear fashion. This is due to the time and space distortions that occur at high speeds.

3. What is the equation for relativistic acceleration?

The equation for relativistic acceleration is a = F/m * 1/sqrt(1 - (v^2/c^2)^2), where a is acceleration, F is force, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does relativistic acceleration differ from classical acceleration?

Relativistic acceleration differs from classical acceleration in that it takes into account the effects of time and space distortions at high speeds, while classical acceleration is based on Newton's laws of motion and does not consider these effects.

5. What is the relationship between relativistic momentum and energy?

Relativistic momentum and energy are linked through the famous equation E = mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This shows that energy and momentum are two different aspects of the same underlying physical quantity.