Easier way of finding Integrating Factor for Exact Differential Equation?

In summary, to solve the given exact differential equation, an integrating factor of y^2 can be used. This yields a solution of x^4 + 3xy + y^4 = c. Other methods may also be used, but may be more difficult or result in a complex integrating factor.
pr0me7heu2
Easier way of finding Integrating Factor for Exact Differential Equation??

Homework Statement

,find an integrating factor and then solve the following:

[4(x3/y2)+(3/y)]dx + [3(x/y2)+4y]dy = 0

Homework Equations

u(y)=y2 is a valid integrating factor that yields a solution x4+3xy+y4=c

,no clue how though!

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand exact differential equations to really be a somewhat perverted form of a gradient of a multivariable surface defined by f=f(x,y)... and that solving an exact differential equations is comparable to finding the potential function using the fundamental theorem of line integrals.

,here with this equation I tried the usual methods

I first realized that the equation is NOT exact (My does not equal Nx), or in other words the two parts of the differential equation could not have possibly come from the same function f=f(x,y) in their current forms because fxy=fyx for any f(x,y).

So, I multiplied by an integrating factor u(x,y) such that the differential equation would be exact or such that (uM)y=(uN)x

,so far in my math education I've pretty much disregarded the idea of finding an integrating factor that is not solely a function of either y or x - it simply would be too hard.

,so in assuming u to be a function of either solely x or y I had hoped to find a linear and separable DE through the following:

du/dx=[u(My-Nx]/N or

du/dy=[u(Nx-My]/M

,unfortunately both of these yield seemingly impossibly, or at least algebraically disgusting results...

Any ideas on an easier or other method for solving for this/other integrating factors?

,and on a slightly related note, any good referenced here in the forums for writing better math symbols?

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, doesn't multiplying the entire expression by y^2 gives you a form which is exact? Why do you say you have no clue when you know the correct method? Once you have reduced the DE to an exact one, then you can simply find the potential function, which you appear to have already done. So what's the problem here?

...because the method of haphazrdly looking at the equation and thinking, "what will make this exact?" isn't exactly a method that will work all the time. And the method presented in the book and class yields factors that would simply suck trying to integrate.

I was just curious if there were any other strategies that anyone knew of.

,so as a revision to my original post... I understand how and why y2 is a factor - I just don't exactly see how it was reached.

Last edited:

I have a question on this problem...

I can see why y2 is an integrating factor, but I don't know how this answer can be derived. Do you use:

[tex]\frac{N_{x}(x,y) - M_{y}(x,y)}{M(x,y)}[/tex]
Where M (x,y) = 4(x3/y2)+(3/y)]dx, and N = 3(x/y2)+4y dy

When I try and solve this, I get a very complex integrating factor.

See the attachment for how [tex]y^{2}[/tex] comes out as the integrating factor for the given D.E

Attachments

• result1.jpg
    result1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 773

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function that is used to help solve exact differential equations. It is multiplied by both sides of the equation to make the left side a perfect differential, making it easier to find the solution.

2. How do I know when to use an integrating factor?

You should use an integrating factor when you have a differential equation that is not exact. This means that the partial derivatives of the equation do not match up, making it difficult to find a solution.

3. Can any function be used as an integrating factor?

No, not all functions can be used as integrating factors. The function must have the property that when it is multiplied by the original equation, it makes the left side a perfect differential.

4. How do I find the integrating factor for a given exact differential equation?

To find the integrating factor, you can follow a specific formula that involves taking the partial derivative of the original equation and simplifying it. This will give you the function that you need to multiply by both sides of the equation.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the integrating factor?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can be used to find the integrating factor. For example, if the equation is in the form of M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy = 0, then the integrating factor can be found by taking the ratio of the coefficient of dx and dy and integrating it with respect to either x or y. Another shortcut is to use the property that the integrating factor is the exponential of the integral of the ratio of M and N.