Whats the power in a 2 phase system?

In summary, the conversation discusses an old machine that operates on two phases of a three phase supply, with the third phase not connected. The speaker is looking for information on how to calculate power in a two phase circuit and wonders if the total power is simply the sum of the two phases or if there is another calculation involved. The expert summarizer concludes that the total power is indeed the sum of the power of each phase.
powerjunky
I have an old machine that works across two phases of a 3 three phase supply.
the third phase is not connected.
All the books I consult show me how to calculate power in a single phase or three phase circuit but never in a two phase circiut.
I know the Voltage, Current and power factor of both phases
Is the total power the sum of the two phases or is there another calculation that is made ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
powerjunky said:
I have an old machine that works across two phases of a 3 three phase supply.
the third phase is not connected.
All the books I consult show me how to calculate power in a single phase or three phase circuit but never in a two phase circiut.
I know the Voltage, Current and power factor of both phases
Is the total power the sum of the two phases or is there another calculation that is made ?

It's the sum of the power of each phase.

CS

Thats great it was getting a little confusing.

1. What is a 2 phase system?

A 2 phase system refers to a physical system that contains two distinct phases or states of matter. This can include a gas and a liquid, or a solid and a liquid, among others.

2. What is the power in a 2 phase system?

The power in a 2 phase system refers to the amount of energy that is transferred between the two phases. This can be in the form of heat, work, or other forms of energy.

3. How is power calculated in a 2 phase system?

The power in a 2 phase system can be calculated using the equation P = ΔE/Δt, where P is power, ΔE is the change in energy, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What factors affect the power in a 2 phase system?

The power in a 2 phase system can be affected by various factors such as the temperature, pressure, and composition of the two phases, as well as the rate of energy transfer between them.

5. How is a 2 phase system different from a single phase system?

A single phase system only contains one phase or state of matter, while a 2 phase system contains two distinct phases. Additionally, the behavior and properties of a 2 phase system may differ from those of a single phase system due to the interactions between the two phases.