Why Do We Need Resistors in Every Electronic Circuit?

• Thread starter Jin S Zhang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary: It is the ability of an object to resist the flow of electric current through it. You can think of it as a wall stopping the flow of water. Finally, you learn about Ohm's Law. This is a very important equation that relates voltage, current and resistance. It is often used to calculate how powerful a current is or how much voltage a current will create. In summary, resistors are used to control the flow of electric current, and Ohm's Law is a equation that relates voltage, current and resistance.
Jin S Zhang
Why do we need resistors in every electronic circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't need them in EVERY electrical circuit, but since they change the voltage/current and electrical circuits are all about voltage and current they do tend to come in handy!

mgb_phys said:
You don't need them in EVERY electrical circuit, but since they change the voltage/current and electrical circuits are all about voltage and current they do tend to come in handy!

Why we don't need them in every circuit? How are they handy? What would happen if there was no resistors in some circuit?

Please explain me coz I know nothing about electricity and just started learning.

Jin S Zhang said:
Why we don't need them in every circuit? How are they handy? What would happen if there was no resistors in some circuit?

Please explain me coz I know nothing about electricity and just started learning.

Resistors are used for many things, often for controlling impedances and dividing down voltages. It would be best if you read some about resistors, and came back with specific questions if you still have them. Here's a starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor

Also, if you can find or buy a copy of The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill, that book will take you from the very basics of resistors all the way through an introduction to basic electronic circuits.

If you connect an LED diode to 12 V it will burn out quickly. But if you connect a proper resistor to the LED, then it will limit the current to the diode and it will not burn out.

JSZ,
Please check out an article (WikiPedia) on Ohm's Law. This is probably the very best place to start learning about electronic circuits. There is a well-defined relation between a circuit's voltage, current and resistance. All of these terms have their own definitions that will make sense in time, but check out Ohm's Law first.

Resistance is a property of 'work' having been done in a circuit. Not only do resistors make resistance, but motors, lights, induction coils, diodes, wires themselves, and many others create resistance too.

I am glad that you are asking this question. I assure you that you will soon discover some really amazing things about our world. Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions.

The very first thing to learn is what voltage and current are. If you don't know that, nothing else will make any sense.

After that, resistance is the next basic concept usually taught in electronics.

1. Why are resistors necessary in electronic circuits?

Resistors are necessary in electronic circuits because they limit the flow of current in a circuit. This helps to protect the circuit and its components from damage due to excessive current. They also help to regulate the voltage and current levels in a circuit, which is important for the proper functioning of electronic devices.

2. What role do resistors play in regulating voltage and current?

Resistors act as voltage dividers in a circuit, meaning they divide the voltage between two points in a circuit. This is important because different components in a circuit often require different voltage levels to function properly. Resistors also help to regulate the flow of current by providing a specific amount of resistance, which determines how much current can flow through a circuit.

3. Can I use any resistor in an electronic circuit?

No, resistors come in different values and power ratings, and it is important to use the correct type and value of resistor in a circuit. Using the wrong resistor can result in incorrect voltage and current levels, which can damage the circuit or its components.

4. How do I choose the right resistor for my circuit?

To choose the right resistor for your circuit, you need to know the value of resistance required for the specific component or part of the circuit. You can then select a resistor with the closest value to that resistance. It is also important to consider the power rating of the resistor to ensure it can handle the amount of current flowing through the circuit.

5. Are there any other uses for resistors besides regulating voltage and current?

Yes, resistors have a variety of uses in electronic circuits, including as timing devices and in signal processing. In some circuits, they are also used to generate heat or to convert energy from one form to another. Additionally, resistors are used in electronic devices to provide a stable reference voltage for other components to operate correctly.