Keeping homework threads where they belong

• Thread starter Ben Niehoff
  • Start date
In summary: It's frustrating to see the lack of actual discussions about math and physics due to the influx of homework questions. It may be a lot of work, but it would be beneficial to remind members of the rules and delete posts without warning. The use of the "report" button can also help move threads quicker. Regularly reporting misplaced homework can also help alleviate this issue.
Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Most of the "ordinary" forums have become unreadable (especially in the math section), because they are flooded with homework questions that belong elsewhere. This is quite annoying and has a tendency to suppress actual discussions about math and physics subjects which might otherwise occur (and do occur during the academic off-season).

Is there anything that can be done? I know that it is a lot of work to move posts and remind people of the rules, especially on a large forum such as PF. Considering how annoying it is, I don't think it would be out of line to simply delete the posts without warning; but I know that is a lot of work, too.

Physics news on Phys.org
September fever.

Borek said:
September fever.

Exactly!

Yes, we do try and move as many homework questions as we find, but a good thing for members to do is to use the "report" button to bring the thread to our attention to enable it to be moved quicker.

cristo said:
Yes, we do try and move as many homework questions as we find, but a good thing for members to do is to use the "report" button to bring the thread to our attention to enable it to be moved quicker.

Yes, please, REPORT REPORT REPORT!

I don't regularly visit the math forum, but if I see post reports of misplaced homework, I will go in and move those.

Ben Niehoff said:
Most of the "ordinary" forums have become unreadable (especially in the math section), because they are flooded with homework questions that belong elsewhere.
Couldn't agree more.

What is the purpose of "Keeping homework threads where they belong"?

The purpose of "Keeping homework threads where they belong" is to maintain organization and structure within a forum or online discussion platform. This helps users easily find and access specific homework threads without clutter or confusion.

Why is it important to keep homework threads in their designated place?

Keeping homework threads in their designated place helps to prevent off-topic discussions and maintain the focus of the forum or discussion platform. It also allows for easier moderation and ensures that the appropriate resources and feedback are provided for homework assignments.

What happens if homework threads are not kept in their designated place?

If homework threads are not kept in their designated place, it can lead to confusion and disorganization within the forum or discussion platform. It may also make it difficult for users to find the information they need, and can result in off-topic discussions that do not contribute to the intended purpose of the platform.

How can users help keep homework threads where they belong?

Users can help keep homework threads where they belong by following the guidelines and rules set by the forum or discussion platform. This includes posting homework-related discussions in the designated thread and reporting any off-topic discussions to moderators.

Are there any exceptions to keeping homework threads in their designated place?

In some cases, moderators may allow certain discussions related to homework to be posted outside of the designated thread if it contributes to the overall discussion and is approved by the forum or platform guidelines. However, it is still important for users to be mindful and respectful of the designated thread for homework discussions.