Why some people don't go home for the holidays

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary: I have a story I'd like to share. Several of my friends are siblings (with each other, not me). Their mom died of cancer about a year ago. During her last days, Carrie was sitting with her mom in the hospital while her brother was in the next state and couldn't get back for a few days. He called Sandy, a coworker who we are all aquainted with fairly well to go sit with her. Well, this coworker comes from a family that just doesn't know when to quit so-to-speak. The whole clan comes out along with THEIR pastor. This pastor has the balls to tell her that sometimes the punishment for a persons sins are carried out on another person
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dear Prudie...

Recently, they invited me to my grandmother's birthday party. When I arrived, everyone was sitting solemnly around the living room, and the local pastor was there. He calmly explained to me that I was not actually mentally ill but possessed by agents of Satan and in need of an exorcism. I choked back tears as I explained to them that I did not need any demons driven out, and the evening ended awkwardly.

Ended awkwardly? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think the writer should read Emily Post's book on eitquette instead of writing letters to Dear Prudie. If Emily Post hasn't covered this scenario, then no one has.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Prudie,

I'm a member of Physics Forums and I am about to marry my long time girlfriend. I know there are some issues though. My father just got arrested for molesting half of his boy scout troup and my mother is resting at the sanitorium while she tries to get over the shock. My brother is on the lam now since the police raided his meth factory in the basement and my sister is in need of a lawyer because she got caught turning tricks. What I need to know is this: Should I tell my girlfriend that I am a member of Physics Forums?

Yours,
Black Sheep of the Family.

Good grief. My advice to this person RUN AWAY!

There is some stupid new show where a "professional" demonologist/exorcist goes around exorcizing people. It was appalling the way he was suckering these people. Now, how do you become a "professional" demonologist? Do you go to demon school? Puts new meaning in PhD

Last edited:
The spirit of PF compels you, the spirit of PF compels you, the spirit of PF compels you, the spirit of PF compels you.

hypatia said:
The spirit of PF compels you, the spirit of PF compels you, the spirit of PF compels you, the spirit of PF compels you.
:rofl:

Bobby Jindal wrote an article for a fringe Roman Catholic journal in which he claimed that he had performed an exorcism on a female friend (he had other accomplices restrain her) and that he not only freed her of her demon, but cured her of a particularly nasty form of cancer, too. Stay tuned, folks - he'll make a run in 2012.

as stupid as this is, you really can't divorce your family. i think there's some value in not shunning them if you can deal with it. chances are pretty good that you may change the POV of some of them.

turbo-1 said:
Bobby Jindal wrote an article for a fringe Roman Catholic journal in which he claimed that he had performed an exorcism on a female friend (he had other accomplices restrain her) and that he not only freed her of her demon, but cured her of a particularly nasty form of cancer, too. Stay tuned, folks - he'll make a run in 2012.

Wow... this is tasty!

Evo said:
Good grief. My advice to this person RUN AWAY!

:rofl: Prudie seemed to agree. She told the person to stab them with a pitchfork. :biggrin: :devil:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Prudie seemed to agree. She told the person to stab them with a pitchfork. :biggrin: :devil:

That brings up an interesting question... what if you, say, got a hold of the exorcist's car keys and drove away in his car... would the exorcist really be like, "The demon's making him do it, he knows not what he does" or would he be like "AAAAAAH! MY CAR!" and sue you?

As for unforgivable behavior by pastors and etc., I have a story I'd like to share. Several of my friends are siblings (with each other, not me). Their mom died of cancer about a year ago. During her last days, Carrie was sitting with her mom in the hospital while her brother was in the next state and couldn't get back for a few days. He called Sandy, a coworker who we are all aquainted with fairly well to go sit with her. Well, this coworker comes from a family that just doesn't know when to quit so-to-speak. The whole clan comes out along with THEIR pastor. This pastor has the balls to tell her that sometimes the punishment for a persons sins are carried out on another person and Carries promiscuity is the reason why her mom is dying of cancer so she best repent. This pastor is the same a$$ that prayed for a motorcycle in church and the congregation was stupid enough to fall for it and bought him one.

How can people like that be in such a position? How sick and twisted can people get to choose someone like that to lead them? Ok, I won't get started.

Averagesupernova said:
As for unforgivable behavior by pastors and etc., I have a story I'd like to share. Several of my friends are siblings (with each other, not me). Their mom died of cancer about a year ago. During her last days, Carrie was sitting with her mom in the hospital while her brother was in the next state and couldn't get back for a few days. He called Sandy, a coworker who we are all aquainted with fairly well to go sit with her. Well, this coworker comes from a family that just doesn't know when to quit so-to-speak. The whole clan comes out along with THEIR pastor. This pastor has the balls to tell her that sometimes the punishment for a persons sins are carried out on another person and Carries promiscuity is the reason why her mom is dying of cancer so she best repent. This pastor is the same a$$ that prayed for a motorcycle in church and the congregation was stupid enough to fall for it and bought him one.

That's outrageous! If I were Carrie, the pastor might have been praying for new teeth after he left the hospital...

lisab said:
That's outrageous! If I were Carrie, the pastor might have been praying for new teeth after he left the hospital...

i agree, he needs his *** beat

If someone told me I need a demon exorcised from my body, I'd just shoot him with my laser eyes. That'll teach him.

Averagesupernova said:
This pastor has the balls to tell her that sometimes the punishment for a persons sins are carried out on another person and Carries promiscuity is the reason why her mom is dying of cancer so she best repent.

Apparently God is also Fair and Balanced.

Well Carrie herself has never gone to this church and for obvious reasons she never will. Her brother went once but won't again since he is afraid of getting hit by a cane.:rofl: These guys jump and yell and wave things. The guy sitting next to him was waving his cane around and Vic was worried he was going to get smacked. I think what the whole motivation for the pastor to say that is to try to bring her down so far that she will turn to the church for support. This is not an uncommon tactic for many cults which the whole thing borders on anyway in my opinion considering how he got the congregation to buy him a motorcycle. They manipulate you in such a way to make you think that you are worthless and need them to amount to anything. But yeah, can you imagine being told: Oh, the reason your mom is dying is because you are a ho.

Edit: Evo, I won't mind at all if you 'get started'. But it isn't my thread...

Giving your mother cancer is God's way of telling you he loves you.Kind of how boys in grade school pull your hair when they like you.

1. Why do some people choose not to go home for the holidays?

There can be a variety of reasons why someone may choose not to go home for the holidays. Some people may have strained relationships with their families, while others may have commitments or responsibilities that prevent them from traveling. Additionally, some individuals may simply prefer to spend the holidays in a different location or with friends instead of their families.

2. Does not going home for the holidays have any negative effects?

Not going home for the holidays can have both positive and negative effects. On one hand, it may provide a sense of independence and autonomy for individuals who may not have a positive relationship with their families. However, it can also lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation, especially during a time traditionally associated with family and togetherness.

3. Are there any benefits to not going home for the holidays?

Yes, there can be several benefits to not going home for the holidays. It can allow individuals to create their own holiday traditions and spend time with friends or loved ones who may not be able to travel. It can also provide a break from potentially stressful family dynamics and allow individuals to focus on self-care and relaxation.

4. Is not going home for the holidays becoming more common?

There is evidence to suggest that not going home for the holidays is becoming more common. This can be attributed to various factors such as increasing travel costs, changing family dynamics, and the rise of technology making it easier to stay connected with loved ones from a distance. Additionally, societal and cultural shifts towards individualism may also play a role.

5. How can I support someone who has chosen not to go home for the holidays?

If someone you know has chosen not to go home for the holidays, it is important to respect their decision and offer support. You can reach out and invite them to join in your holiday celebrations or simply check in with them to see how they are doing. It is also important to not make assumptions or judgments about their decision and to be understanding of their reasons for not going home.

Back