Understanding Electric Field Lines: Curving and Splitting Nodes

In summary, The student is struggling with drawing electric fields for two problems and there are no specific equations involved. They have attempted to solve it using a picture and it looks okay. The student asks for clarification on the direction of the electric field lines for each problem and the expert confirms their understanding.
jcpwn2004

Homework Statement

Hey I'm supposed to draw electric fields for this problem and I can't figure these 2 out.

Homework Equations

There really isn't any.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's included in the picture

http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=physicsge1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK.

I've seen neater, but you seem to grasp the issues.

LowlyPion said:
Looks OK.

I've seen neater, but you seem to grasp the issues.

Ok so the main point of the one on the bottom is that the lines curve to the left as the nodes split away from each other?

And then for the T one they all just curve towards the negative node on the right?

jcpwn2004 said:
Ok so the main point of the one on the bottom is that the lines curve to the left as the nodes split away from each other?

And then for the T one they all just curve towards the negative node on the right?

That's the way I see it.

What is the purpose of drawing electric field lines?

The purpose of drawing electric field lines is to visually represent the direction and strength of an electric field at various points in space.

How do you draw electric field lines?

To draw electric field lines, you first need to determine the direction and strength of the electric field at different points using mathematical equations or diagrams. Then, starting from a positive charge, draw lines in the direction of the electric field, with the density of lines representing the strength of the field.

What do curved electric field lines indicate?

Curved electric field lines indicate the presence of a non-uniform electric field, where the strength and/or direction of the field changes at different points. The curvature of the lines represents the direction of the electric field at that point.

Can electric field lines cross each other?

No, electric field lines cannot cross each other. This is because the electric field has a unique direction at each point, and if two lines were to cross, it would mean that the electric field has two different directions at that point, which is not possible.

What is the significance of the distance between electric field lines?

The distance between electric field lines represents the strength of the electric field. The closer the lines are to each other, the stronger the electric field is at that point. Similarly, the further apart the lines are, the weaker the electric field is at that point.